Damage builds: Guardian vs Warrior

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: mPascoal.4258

mPascoal.4258

Q:

Hi guys
So what i’m here to ask is not wich does more damage, because that I know, Warrior is the class that does more damage from all classes in PvE so that’s not hard to see.
Well recently I’ve tryed roaming with my guard and I did not like it so i quit the idea, but roaming gave my the idea of going damage build with my Guardian in PvE. But then I asked “Why? Warrior does way more damage”. But then my warrior is only lvl 52.
So between deciding lvling my warrior or stay with guardian I have decided that this decision will be final according to the most support given to the party.

So between the Guardian 20/25/0/0/25 and the Warrior 30/25/0/0/15 builds wich gives more support? To answer this imagine the damage being the same because support by giving damage is not taken in consideration here. i want to know wich give more support through Utilites and elite and even weapons (Guardian is GS & S/F and Warrior is GS & A/M)

Phask - Guardian/DH | Phaskk - Warrior | Phaask - Revenant

Posted by: Kibazuka.1390

Kibazuka.1390

Eh, Guardian does more dps.
Elementalist, Thief, Ranger, Guardian all do more dps than a Warrior can, i believe Necromancer was able to as well, not sure about Engineer. Warrior dps just requires no skill.
As for the Question: Warrior does mostly offensive support, Banners, might n stuff.
Guardian does all the utility. Stability, Aegis at the right time etc.
If a run is smoothly or not often depends on the skill of the Guard.

Ranger – Drakkar Lake[DE]
Full melee Ranger since August 2012

Posted by: Ephemeral.5409

Ephemeral.5409

warriors give offensive support (via banners of strength/discipline and FGJ), while guards give more defensive support (condi removal, reflects, aegis, stability).

Also, in fully buffed groups, warriors don’t have the highest dps in PVE.

Posted by: Lindbur.2537

Lindbur.2537

Warriors are just the easiest way to get high DPS. High, but not the highest.

A remnant of times past.
“Memories are nice, but that’s all they are.”

Posted by: Hayashi.3416

Hayashi.3416

Warriors are the 2nd highest personal dps behind the LH 25 might ele, but because of the limited nature of buffing max damage in a party is not from 5 zerkwars, though that is high. If talking support the guard offers much more support from AoE blinds, aegis and Wall of Reflection, but only does about 70% max damage potential from a warr. Lastly, the max dmg build for a warr is not 30-25-0-0-15, but 30-10-0-0-30 on 4 signets and 1 banner – which also has condition clear or stunbreak unavailable on the 30-25-0-0-15.

Guard only overtakes warr’s dps with 5 targets, necros can only hit one target in their maxed direct build making it inferior for dungs, ranger never gets close and thief does less damage, but can boonstrip and interrupt very frequently in its max dps build. Do your own calcs, at present all meta builds are suboptimal, metabusers still insist they’re optimal, and I’ve grown tired of presenting maths to people who can’t understand it.

(edited by Hayashi.3416)

Posted by: noobgood.8762

noobgood.8762

Warriors are the 2nd highest personal dps behind the LH 25 might ele, but because of the limited nature of buffing max damage in a party is not from 5 zerkwars, though that is high. If talking support the guard offers much more support from AoE blinds, aegis and Wall of Reflection, but only does about 70% max damage potential from a warr. Lastly, the max dmg build for a warr is not 30-25-0-0-15, but 30-10-0-0-30 on 4 signets and 1 banner – which also has condition clear or stunbreak unavailable on the 30-25-0-0-15.

Guard only overtakes warr’s dps with 5 targets, necros can only hit one target in their maxed direct build making it inferior for dungs, ranger never gets close and thief does less damage, but can boonstrip and interrupt very frequently in its max dps build. Do your own calcs, at present all meta builds are suboptimal, metabusers still insist they’re optimal, and I’ve grown tired of presenting maths to people who can’t understand it.

What did I just read?

Posted by: Anicetus.1253

Anicetus.1253

What the kitten is going on in this thread.

If you’re talking about pug situations, where people are unable to create or blast firefields and fury is not given, warrior does the highest personal dps. An elementalist with purging flames (s/x) would increase the parties overall damage more than a warrior, even if doing nothing but stacking might (considering each party member has about equal damage output). Warriors max. dps build is 30/25/0/0/15. To reach the highest damage with a single attack, it’s 30/25/0/10/5.
Now to organized (but real situations, i.e. 25 might, fury, banners, but not the unlikely situation of pets permanently attacking, illusions never bugging out or dying or minions of a necro surviving). Elementalist and thief being unmatched, guardians still deal around 25% more damage than warriors (5% without aegis). Rangers, necros, mesmers and engineers are all behind the warrior. A ranger with a fully buffed pet, constantly attacking reaches equal dps to warriors (with a 1h sword never interrupting the chain to be able to dodge). A mesmer wuth 3 fully buffed swordsmen has the potential to climb over the top of a thief. Necromancers are not too far behind warriors, engineers being the least damage dealing profession.

About the support question, this is like comparing a F1 car to a dirt-rally car.
The guardian is mainly giving defensive supports whereas the warriors support (should be) solely offensive.

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

An elementalist with purging flames (s/x) would increase the parties overall damage more than a warrior, even if doing nothing but stacking might

Purging Flames is a Guardian Utility skill. I suppose you mean that an Elementalist with scepter can give 2 blast, and a third with Arcane Waves. But that’s not something that only the elementalist can bring. You can have a Guardian, Elementalist, Ranger or Engineer to create a Fire Field (i don’t count the Longbow Warrior, because its a longbow lol). For the blast, most profession have access to it, but only Warrior, Elementalist and engineers have access to more than 1 blast finisher in their meta DPS build (i can be wrong on that one).

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

Posted by: robertul.3679

robertul.3679

In pugs i.e. not organised groups warriors are easily dealing superior damage to guardians.

Posted by: DigitalKirin.9714

DigitalKirin.9714

An elementalist with purging flames (s/x) would increase the parties overall damage more than a warrior, even if doing nothing but stacking might

Purging Flames is a Guardian Utility skill. I suppose you mean that an Elementalist with scepter can give 2 blast, and a third with Arcane Waves. But that’s not something that only the elementalist can bring. You can have a Guardian, Elementalist, Ranger or Engineer to create a Fire Field (i don’t count the Longbow Warrior, because its a longbow lol). For the blast, most profession have access to it, but only Warrior, Elementalist and engineers have access to more than 1 blast finisher in their meta DPS build (i can be wrong on that one).

He probably meant Persisting Flames. (Blasted fire finishers grant fury.)

Genevieve Talbot [NP] – Noble Phantasm on Stormbluff Isle

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

Maybe. Anyways the reasoning stay the same. The Elementalist don’t have as much dps as a warrior on their own, but they bring FGS and can give might and fury. Depending on the party build and composition the fury and might will reach their maximum with 1 or 2 Elementalist. After that the Elementalist don’t bring enough advantage over a Warrior.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

Posted by: Anicetus.1253

Anicetus.1253

Maybe. Anyways the reasoning stay the same. The Elementalist don’t have as much dps as a warrior on their own, but they bring FGS and can give might and fury. Depending on the party build and composition the fury and might will reach their maximum with 1 or 2 Elementalist. After that the Elementalist don’t bring enough advantage over a Warrior.

An elementalists personal dps is way above a warriors. Actually we’re using 2-4 elementalists for speedruns and just 0-1 warrior. And the elementalists might stacking ability is unmatched. While still maintaining very strong dps a single elementalists can provide 21-24 might for the party.

And yes, I meant persisting flames which makes elementalist being the only profession providing permanent party wide fury.