Do You Need Help Building a PC? =P

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: DreamyAbaddon.3265

DreamyAbaddon.3265

Q:

If you’re new to building PCs or you want some help buying the right PC to play games like GW2, I’d be more than happy to put my own free time to help you out!

PM me if you’re interested in some help and I’ll send you my skype info and we can get started.

Love ya all! <3

DreamyAbaddon.3265

Just to give you all a heads up;
I’m from NA California so please show some consideration regarding my time zone.
=)

DreamyAbaddon.3265

Bump in case anyone still need help! =P

Posted by: Bagera Septim.8547

Bagera Septim.8547

Hey, I just recently came across your post and have to decided to build my own desktop (cpu) I will whisp you tonight in game if u arent busy and shoot some “?”s at u so that you’d be able to know what im looking for. Im moving soon and my new house my wife “let” me have my own game room lolz soo if anything ill mail u if your not online when I get on tonight!

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

Hey, I just recently came across your post and have to decided to build my own desktop (cpu) I will whisp you tonight in game if u arent busy and shoot some “?”s at u so that you’d be able to know what im looking for. Im moving soon and my new house my wife “let” me have my own game room lolz soo if anything ill mail u if your not online when I get on tonight!

Consider the parts in my sig. I’ve found the game runs really well with everything set to high and Ultra. I’ve locked it to 60fps, as the tearing was annoying. But unlocked I was getting 100+fps running around maps doing events, sPvP and dungeons, but as I said tearing was annoying when inside caves or buildings. When locked at 60fps in world boss events I average 45+fps. Just remember that GW2 is CPU heavy. So consider a CPU with high core speed. Currently NVIDIA GPU’s run things better than AMD cards, even if there cards come out better in benchmark tests, in practical game playing situations, they perform far worse. Though, with DX12 there is the possibility of them being on par or better than NVIDIA cards. Also when it comes to Ram, unless you want to learn to over clock, buy ram with a 1600mhz speed. Most motherboards will default to this speed.

I personally have no interest in over clocking at the moment, but could if I wanted too, as my CPU is over clockable. As is my graphics card, but over clocking, if not done right can damage parts and make your system unstable and crash. If done right you will see.performance gains, but at the cost of shortening the life span of the parts.

I expect my system to last me about 6-8 years, but that’s probably with a GPU upgrade at some point, but that will be dependant on what games I’ll be playing. My last card was a NVIDIA 9800GT 1GB. I only replaced it when my old system started to fail.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

(edited by BrotherBelial.3094)

Posted by: MrNicoolio.9753

MrNicoolio.9753

Hey all!

Just was wondering if you notice a lot of difference in using an SSD, for example: faster loading times in LA, rather than using an HDD.

Simple question I know, but I’m interested if there are other benefits

BrotherBelial.3094

Hey all!

Just was wondering if you notice a lot of difference in using an SSD, for example: faster loading times in LA, rather than using an HDD.

Simple question I know, but I’m interested if there are other benefits

SSD are a mixed bag. From reviews I’ve read there are big differences between makes and models of SSD, people have said that the is a FPS increase from using one, while others have said boot times are between 8-20 seconds. I personally have a HDD, and with Windows 10 my boot time from power on to log in is 15 seconds.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|

(edited by BrotherBelial.3094)

Posted by: MrNicoolio.9753

MrNicoolio.9753

Perhaps I just need a faster read/write HDD. Thanks for your input though!

Posted by: Fratstar.2140

Fratstar.2140

I am going to build my own pc very soon but have no expierience at all in it my roommate built his so I will prob use him for help but if u could still pm me what I should buy and for the right price it would be greatly appreciated

BrotherBelial.3094

I am going to build my own pc very soon but have no expierience at all in it my roommate built his so I will prob use him for help but if u could still pm me what I should buy and for the right price it would be greatly appreciated

How much are you looking to spend? Untill we know that, we cant really give any advice on what you should get.

Posted by: BattleCat.2098

BattleCat.2098

A few thoughts. I used to built my own computers, thinking I saved a ton of money and got the best of the best. But in recent years, I stopped bothering. Sure, if you want to build everything yourself, you can save a bit here and there. But to my experience, there are stores and websites that build the computer for you, and they don’t cost much more than building it yourself. You also save a ton of time and effort by getting it sent directly to you, and on top of that, you also know it works right out of the box. If anything were to go wrong with it, you can simply send it back and have it repaired or replaced.

All in all, building your own computer isn’t really worth it anymore, unless you want the feeling of having built it yourself. But if it’s just a money issue, there’s not much point.

BrotherBelial.3094

A few thoughts. I used to built my own computers, thinking I saved a ton of money and got the best of the best. But in recent years, I stopped bothering. Sure, if you want to build everything yourself, you can save a bit here and there. But to my experience, there are stores and websites that build the computer for you, and they don’t cost much more than building it yourself. You also save a ton of time and effort by getting it sent directly to you, and on top of that, you also know it works right out of the box. If anything were to go wrong with it, you can simply send it back and have it repaired or replaced.

All in all, building your own computer isn’t really worth it anymore, unless you want the feeling of having built it yourself. But if it’s just a money issue, there’s not much point.

That is true, but I’ve found it depends where you live, what the current prices are for the parts, as the can go up and down by £20 on something’s.

Posted by: Fermi.2409

Fermi.2409

A few thoughts. I used to built my own computers, thinking I saved a ton of money and got the best of the best. But in recent years, I stopped bothering. Sure, if you want to build everything yourself, you can save a bit here and there. But to my experience, there are stores and websites that build the computer for you, and they don’t cost much more than building it yourself.

Not really. eCollegePC, the “we’ll build it” site worth using, is going to run you a fair bit more then the equivalent personally built PC if you want all of the nice doodads like an SSD.

You also save a ton of time and effort by getting it sent directly to you

I think you’re overestimating the difficulty and time it takes to build a computer, it’s like 2-3 hours to get the whole thing together. Really not that bad.

and on top of that, you also know it works right out of the box. If anything were to go wrong with it, you can simply send it back and have it repaired or replaced.

You could say the same about a selfbuilt PC; sure, you need to spend a couple of minutes troubleshooting, but if anything is wrong you can send it back and get it repaired or replaced.

Not in the slightest. You can still save a few hundred dollars or get a better PC for the same money, depending on what you’re looking to do.

HAF 912 | i7-3770k @ 4.5 GHz | MSI GTX 1070 GAMING 8GB | Gigabyte Z77X-D3H
EGVA SuperNOVA B2 750W | 16 GB DDR3 1600 | Acer XG270HU | Win 10×64
MX Brown Quickfire XT | Commander Shaussman [AGNY]- Fort Aspenwood

DreamyAbaddon.3265

@ Fratstar.2140

I PMed you on the forums! Sure I’d be happy to help you learn how to pick and buy the right parts for your PC. Contact me on Skype!

Skype name: DreamyAbaddon