Does ANet do character restores?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Mektige.4026

Mektige.4026

I realize ANet is busy with more important issues, so I’m in no rush for this to take place, but I accidentally deleted a character while clearing out four of my slots and was curious if they do restores for accidental deletions. I know that seems odd, considering I have to input the name to delete it, but it was admittedly late at night and I wasn’t paying enough attention.

This character had complete upgraded inventory, 70% map completion and other things that I don’t want to lose. I put in a ticket and realize it could be a while before I receive a reply, so I was just wondering if anyone else has had any luck having a character restored without having been hacked.

Posted by: Diablo.8650

Diablo.8650

nope, no luck… And I was told that they have no restoration features.

You may have read that my account got hacked and my character got deleted
in another post.

Incident:120906-001331

Posted by: SirMoogie.9263

SirMoogie.9263

They have no restoration features yet, but sounds like they may build them.

Posted by: Diablo.8650

Diablo.8650

This should have already been in place as a security measure!

If they make a new feature to restore, will it be compatible with old data?

What is lost today will never be fixed. And im not risking to start a new character until they update and put a restoration feature in.

Incident:120906-001331

Mektige.4026

They just lost my business then. Which is a shame. I would’ve spent hundreds of dollars over the years on gems and expansions. It may have been my fault for deleting the character, but if they can’t have such a rudimentary function in place to restore characters, then I don’t really want to be giving them my money anyways. It’s 2012, not 1956.

Mektige.4026

Also, I spent $35 in gems, used them on that character to upgrade inventory space, and it never once stated that it only expanded THAT character’s inventory space. Unlike bank slots, inventory slots are per-character. This was not implied. So, I lost around $20 worth of gems.

I’m initiating a chargeback.

Posted by: Drintar.1246

Drintar.1246

They just lost my business then. Which is a shame. I would’ve spent hundreds of dollars over the years on gems and expansions. It may have been my fault for deleting the character, but if they can’t have such a rudimentary function in place to restore characters, then I don’t really want to be giving them my money anyways. It’s 2012, not 1956.

Not aware of any B2P game that backs up characters to restore them. Sub based games yes but not B2P. Diablo 2 restores? nope in fact if you don’t log in within a certain time frame Blizzard deletes your characters. D3? Not sure but probably same as D2. Who has more cash to be able to buy the hardware and infrastructure to maintain backups ANet or Blizzard with all the money WoW brings in? Yup Blizzard and even they aren’t doing it for B2P games.

If I’m correct you have to type out either the word delete or the characters name so how do you accidently delete one you want to keep while staring at the name you are deleting as you type out the name or the word delete?

Posted by: Drintar.1246

Drintar.1246

Also, I spent $35 in gems, used them on that character to upgrade inventory space, and it never once stated that it only expanded THAT character’s inventory space. Unlike bank slots, inventory slots are per-character. This was not implied. So, I lost around $20 worth of gems.

I’m initiating a chargeback.

So you’re going to compound a mistake in a game with credit card fraud nice.

Mektige.4026

Accidents happen. I agreed it’s my fault entirely, but it wouldn’t even be so bad had the virtual currency’s use limitations been more specific and accurately represented. Now I’m out $20 because it never stated that the inventory upgrade was for a single character.

The bottom line is that ANet doesn’t seem to have their stuff together very well (as shown via this forum) in terms of security and overall customer support in general. So, just like I quit WoW based on Blizzard’s terrible customer service, I’ll do the same here.