Does anyone use a keypad for gw2?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Leemo.3762

Leemo.3762

Hi,

I am thinking about buying a keypad for gaming, something the the razor or the Logitech one, but before I buy I thought I would ask if anyone uses them and if they are good for the game.

Thanks

Posted by: Kimbald.2697

Kimbald.2697

using a gaming mouse myself, seems almost necessary for my engineer but that’s probably me being new to it all.

Also: I’m used to this mouse from years using it in WoW, so it kind of grows on you.

I do think you need something for this game though, so if you can move with your keypad, and use most abilities there, while keeping the mouse for targeting and such, it should work.

Not helping you with my reply, my main point is: I can’t imagine playing this game without either a gaming mouse or ’something ’ else

Wiggely, wobbely and other wombaty wabbity creatures…

Posted by: AliceKaye.1903

AliceKaye.1903

I use a Logitech G13 game pad. Started using one in Cataclysm with WoW and I’ve never looked back. I now only use my keyboard for typing, never for movement or combat. The joystick, I feel, allows you to be far more accurate and faster than traditional wsad.

I wouldn’t even hesitate.

I should forewarn you that it will take a tad bit of time to get used to, but its very much worth it.

Arcanist Norri | Ceirynn | Darbii | Emlyn | Nyssi | Teltiu
Alice Kaye’s Twitter

Leemo.3762

I have just ordered a new razor mouse which will make life easier. Just looking at the keypad it looks like it would be really helpful with gw2 and wow

Leemo.3762

So alicekaye do you use the joystick for full walking or just turning and something else for the movement?

Posted by: Kimbald.2697

Kimbald.2697

Oh, so you’re actually thinking of getting a gamepad ON TOP of your new razer mouse?

I suppose one of those would do the trick, but if you can get both I think you’ll have a bit overkill on binds
Way to go gaming set up though!

Wiggely, wobbely and other wombaty wabbity creatures…

Posted by: Corian.4068

Corian.4068

I’m using a lesser known one, and while they’re (keypads in general) fantastic once you manage to get past their learning curve, you might benefit more from an MMO mouse such as the Naga instead.

The reason being that movement is so involved in GW2 and there are more skillshots—for example, everything melee—that you need as much of your left hand free for movement control as possible, at least imo.

That said I’m not using an MMO mouse right now, but I do have a gamepad and that’s kind of my take on it right now. I’m doing entirely too much with my left hand to the point that sometimes I have to make choices between a full range of movement and being able to activate my skills, while my right hand is mostly just mouselooking.

Hit level eighty
Priorities, what to do?
Spend hours with dye

Leemo.3762

I was thinking with a naga and a keypad you can split the workload between the 2 hands. I feel at the min my left hand is working over kill and the you get lost on the keyboard when the **** hits the fan.

I was thinking the pad joystick would make steering or walking easier freeing the workload for the fingers.

I play a mez at the moment so always on the move but feel the WASD walking sometimes slow and counter productive.

What controls does everyone use?

Posted by: stemare.2578

stemare.2578

I use the razer gamepad and a CM Inferno mouse. This is my configuration and I’m really happy with it!
http://i.imgur.com/jQxfX.jpg

Note: I bound F1-F4 to Shift+2 – Shift+5

Stemare ~ Guardian ~ lv80 ~ Far Shiverpeaks
Ci Assediamo Da Soli [SIGH] ~ Officier

Posted by: Bvhjdbvkjf.1987

Bvhjdbvkjf.1987

For the record… Razer gaming keypad the N52te or whatever (featured in the above poster’s picture) isn’t completely compatible with Windows 7 yet. Do some research before blindly investing in Razer devices because the only kind of feedback the community got was that updated drivers should arrive sometime in November this year – and that was back in June.

I can say that the Logitech G13 gaming keypad works great, agree with the above poster that the joystick works great as a replacement wasd though double tapping a joystick doesn’t seem to always work so I’ve had to keybind the dodge. However the full programmability of the pad is nice as back in beta changing the hotkeys for the skill bar removed the red from showing you’re out of range.

I have everything keyed on my keypad and use the mouse for RMB looking and ground targeting only. But that’s just personal preference since the mouse (I feel) is an outdated method of input… if you have a programmable mouse then more power to ya.

stemare.2578

For the record… Razer gaming keypad the N52te or whatever (featured in the above poster’s picture) isn’t completely compatible with Windows 7 yet. Do some research before blindly investing in Razer devices because the only kind of feedback the community got was that updated drivers should arrive sometime in November this year – and that was back in June.

I use the gamepad with W7 x64 and got 0 problems.

Posted by: Bvhjdbvkjf.1987

Bvhjdbvkjf.1987

If you’d really enjoy it – I can link the 3-7 different forums I went to when this device failed to work for me showing everyone else can’t get it to work consistently. One of the solutions Razer gave out was to unplug the device before starting up the computer so it actively recognizes it each time you boot up since it is such a pathetic periphial.

Also, are you sure the one you have is the Razer one? Because Belkin originally made the periphial (I know cuz the Belkin one my dad has works on W7) before Razer bought it up and screwed it over….

stemare.2578

If you’d really enjoy it – I can link the 3-7 different forums I went to when this device failed to work for me showing everyone else can’t get it to work consistently. One of the solutions Razer gave out was to unplug the device before starting up the computer so it actively recognizes it each time you boot up since it is such a pathetic periphial.

Also, are you sure the one you have is the Razer one? Because Belkin originally made the periphial (I know cuz the Belkin one my dad has works on W7) before Razer bought it up and screwed it over….

It’s razer, sure at 100%. ;-)

Leemo.3762

Thanks everyone for your input, I am going to have to have a play with my controls and see if I can walk steer with my mouse and keep an eye on eBay for a keypad.

Posted by: Whupass.1037

Whupass.1037

Sort of on topic. Are the mouse functions in game (i.e. mouse steer on RMB, run forward when both LRMBs are pressed together, zoom in/out on scroll wheel) reconfigurable with the GW2 key-mapping UI? Or, are they hard coded and unchangeable?