Does this game get better at higher levels?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: sirjosh.9561

sirjosh.9561

Q:

Hi guys! I’m a level 22 thief (possible to start again due to thief being eh) and so far this game hasn’t offered much but does it get better at a higher level?
I’ve heard that most new content is centered around high levels.

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

That would depend on what you mean by better.
What are you feeling is missing during your current level?

Most new content is actually centered around low to medium levels, rather than high levels.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

The game doesn’t start until level 80.

sirjosh.9561

Most new content is actually centered around low to medium levels, rather than high levels.

It just seems like at this level with so much to do at a high level you seem like the game is actually pushing you through the levels to get to that stage. And especially at WvW where it really is armour based.

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

Most would say that the game gets worse at higher level. I personally enjoyed 1-30 the most.

Posted by: Paponzi.1637

Paponzi.1637

Might also be the class or the attitude (if you are coming from a different mmo)

Posted by: sonicwhip.9052

sonicwhip.9052

but does it get better at a higher level?
I’ve heard that most new content is centered around high levels.

Attachments:

Posted by: Thrashbarg.9820

Thrashbarg.9820

It just seems like at this level with so much to do at a high level you seem like the game is actually pushing you through the levels to get to that stage. And especially at WvW where it really is armour based.

Take your time and enjoy the ride.

I wouldn’t recommend leveling your first character (entirely, anyway) in WvW, use the PvE world to gain some combat experience and try out different skills and traits and armor stats. The mobs in the 30+ areas start to use many of the same attacks that players will, under 30 is pretty basic generally but gives you time to learn the dodge timing and when to heal.

If you feel you’ve mastered this stuff and see traits/skills you want to use against players, jump into the sPvP area and try stuff out. You get autoleveled to 80 in there and everyone has the same “gear” choices (all free).

If you really want to level your first character in WvW mostly, roll a warrior or guardian and stack as much vit/tough into your stats as you can. Due to the scaling math you’ll have insanely high hp/defense at most levels as long as you keep your gear as close to your level as possible (with those stats anyway). You can do this with thief too, but they are less forgiving if you mess up dodging/stealthing and are pretty dang squishy until they get enough traits to benefit more from stealth or boost evasion uptime. Either way, stay with your “zerg”, a solo uplevel isn’t going to accomplish much and your leveling will be slow and expensive solo.

Hats off to all the ones who stood before me, and taught a fool to ride.

Posted by: Zeph.5927

Zeph.5927

Short answer: No.

Long answer: Hell no.

Zeph.5927

The game doesn’t start until level 80.

Funny that you say that considering the devs themselves claim that the whole game is endgame and therefore everything from 1 to 80 is the “start of the game”.

Obviously, it’s a failure overall, but still…just pointing that out to you.

sirjosh.9561

Since this is my first paid mmo and I lack a lot of skill.
What would be an easy to play class?

Zeph.5927

Warrior.

It’s one of the most overpowered classes and seems to be the Devs’ love child.

sirjosh.9561

Warrior.

Would you recommend it as a fun class for first time play through?

Zeph.5927

Warrior.

Would you recommend it as a fun class for first time play through?

Yeah. It’s extremely OP and easy to use and get the hang of. Not to mention it can spec into pretty much any kind of build that’s required for different kinds of content.

Like I said, warrior is Anet’s love child. They even go as far as constantly buffing the warrior and nerfing every other class. The amount of bias and favoritism they show to the warrior class is disgusting.

Posted by: Elthurien.8356

Elthurien.8356

Short answer: No.

Long answer: Nooooooooooooo

FTFW

15Charr

Posted by: Falunel.7645

Falunel.7645

Wow, the amount of whining in this thread. shakes head

OP, what are you interested in? GW2’s not a typical MMO- it’s not about rushing to max level to then grind one tier of gear in order to grind the next tier of gear so you can participate in X raid to get another tier of gear and then be able to participate in Y raid to get another tier of gear ad infinitum. It’s more like Skyrim in that a huge part of the game is built around exploration and finding secret events, secret caves, interesting tidbits of lore, and so on. You take your time and progress at your own rate.

When people say that the endgame starts at level 2, that’s what they mean. From the beginning, you can unlock your skills and go exploring wherever you wish. You unlock dungeons as you progress and can do them again at level 80 with them still being challenging and rewarding. If you don’t enjoy running from heart to heart, then turn off your minimap and simply navigate by what you see on the screen- follow an interesting path, dive to the bottom of a lake to find a network of underwater caves, or read a book in a creepy shack to spawn demons that will ambush you from behind. There’s a whole world of things to discover out there, and practically everything in it will give you exp.

At level 80, it’s left up to you what to do. The game doesn’t transform, you simply have no barriers anymore. You can do any dungeon, do WvW on an even level and learn to command havoc squads and zergs, explore any zone you want. You can start working on Ascended gear, shoot for a legendary, shoot for a hard-to-earn title like Dungeon Master. You can challenge yourself with solos and learn to master your class. You can climb ranks in PvP. You can do guild missions, take newbies through their first dungeons, or organize server events like Tequatl kills. You basically can do whatever.

(But some people won’t be satisfied unless the game spoonfeeds them on what to do. =/)

About warrior, it’s a good class for newcomers, but it’s NOT the ~supah OP~ class everyone whines about. In PvE, thieves, guardians, and elementalists all provide better DPS than a warrior while bringing more utilities to the table- if you look at any organized min/max group, they will have only one warrior at most for their banner buffs, and fill the other slots with other classes. In WvW, guardians do just as well if not better in zergs, thieves and necros are better havokers, and a bunch of classes do just as well if not better than warriors at roaming. The main appeal of warrior is that it’s the “Mario” class- it has a low skill floor and can tolerate mistakes, while other classes will perform more effectively but take more attention to play. Unfortunately some people just conflate “lower skill floor” with “hopelessly OP.” (Also, the part about warrior being a lovechild that never gets nerfed is blatantly false, given that warriors experienced a HUGE nerf to hammer and other nerfs to control traits, longbow, and elsewhere recently.)

In other words, OP, there’s a lot of whiners about. Take whatever you read with a grain of salt.

Falunel – Sylvari Elementalist | Falche Graysong – Human Mesmer | Tarnished Coast
Ember Solace [SOL] – A guild welcoming of newbies and those at the margins.
New Player Outreach Thread

Posted by: Teege.4623

Teege.4623

I find it boring at level 80 and I have a handful of them, and that’s including doing most avenues in the game (LS, PS, WvW, guild missions, etc). I refuse to participate in any of the carrot chasing/gear grinds. Your experience may vary.

“We just don’t want players to grind in Guild Wars 2.” -Colin Johanson
Don’t support the Gem Shop, it’s that easy.

Posted by: Contiguous.1345

Contiguous.1345

Reading between the lines, I guess you really want to WvW?

Armour does make a difference in WvW but it’s possible to make yourself competitive by using the special WvW karma gear on sale in your borderland’s Citadel. (Near the laurel vendor at the far end of the hall from the Asura gates).
That gear needs to be replaced every ten levels or so with the next grade. It’s important to keep it up-to-level because the gear upscaling on your character depends on it being appropriate.

That said. Thief is not a good character to start with. You need something that will let you join the karma train. Warrior, Guardian, Ele, Mesmer, Necro are the most common classes to pick – in that order more-or-less.

Posted by: mjhungness.8059

mjhungness.8059

OP, what this game is NOT is linear to the degree that there are only a few limited paths to capping a toon. What is this game then? A sandbox in many ways. Literally everything you do gives you experience, so yeah, to that degree, you are always climbing the levelling ladder. The pre-80 experience is all about learning the skills and trying a number of builds. When you hit 80 you can focus on specializing in a build with gear and traits, based on the playstyle that is most fun for you. The fact that you have to ‘build’ your skillset because of the fixed number of skills you can use in-combat really drives the game more than level. You can be an experienced, solid player before you hit 80 if you play your build well.

I’m making the Legendary Weapon quest on my Thief and it’s a little more challenging to play than the Ranger and Warrior I have. While you can fulfill a number of ‘roles’ with each class almost equally, there will always be niche roles in which each class shines uniquely. A lot of that has to do with the mechanics of the class and the way the build is set up (traits, gear, playstyle). You get that experience during the levelling process. PvE is very forgiving during levelling as the mobs are not that difficult and you have a lot of opportunity to practice, while the ‘story-book’ progression keeps it interesting. PvP and WvW, especially a roaming thief who doesn’t follow the ‘zerg’ will require more skill to survive. In fact, the role of Thief in WvW is a very hot topic as the class can be extremely deadly when played with skill and a good understanding of stealth mechanics. But, like just about every aspect of the game, there are ways to overcome diversity and beat the roaming Thief, you just have to learn it.

And for those who say there is nothing to do at end game and that GW2 fails miserably, what have you been playing that offers more? I’m just curious. I’ve played a number of games to endgame content (WoW, LOTRO, DDO, DCUO, CoH, CO, GW) and have a hard time seeing where what GW2 brings to the table compared to those other games is a failure. It’s always going to be debatable whether they hit their promised marks, but this game pretty much broke the mold with a lot of content. Sorry for the off-topic question, just wondering what I’ve been missing all these years in the game that makes this one look like a miserable failure.