Doing all starting zones a good idea?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: cbTitan.6780

cbTitan.6780

Q:

I am just curious if people have attempted to complete all of the starter zones (or at least multiple zones) before moving on. I am currently a level 20 Ranger and have completed two starter zones (Human and Norn 1-15) and thinking about doing others. Partially because I still tend to underlevel some content in the 15-25 zone and partly because with leatherworking and huntsman, I never have enough of the crafting materials that drop (tiny claws, etc.).

I am thinking that completing all starter zones will give m the crafting materials to stay ahead of my needs, keep me at or above level for future zones and, best of all, allow me to explore and get some xp/rewards. Has anyone else tried this approach? If so, how well did it work?

Thanks!

Posted by: Nod.9613

Nod.9613

A:

It has become sort of cliche around here, but the best method is to take the path that is most fun for you. Personally, I like playing content that is on or slightly above my unscaled level. Therefore, as soon as I am finished getting 100% completion on a map, I move to higher level content.

It seems like you are coming from a craftsman point of view. The fine crafting items (claws/bones/etc.) are something that you will pretty much never have enough of. My theory was that by staying in zones around my level, I would make more money, and be able to buy the mats that I did not farm while leveling, and it has worked out well. Most crafting guides I see want you to have 30x of each fine crafting component, which would be tough to get even if you did every starting area.

So, in staying within the spirit of doing what is most fun for you:

• Are you okay moving on to higher content so that you can purchase lower level crafting components? If so, go ahead and venture into the higher leveled zones.
  • Would you prefer to gather all materials yourself? If so, do all of the starter areas and farm the materials yourself.

Posted by: Nukum.4502

Nukum.4502

I did something similar. I did my home starter zone first, then jumped and did all the main cities. After that I did some of the other starter zones to get mats for crafting. It worked out well for me and let me see the other zones so that I might want to do them as home zones with alts.

Posted by: Sneakier.9460

Sneakier.9460

It great if you plan to lvl up your professions while lvling.

Gunnars Hold= Tuga Land

Posted by: Barsimoprimo.2759

Barsimoprimo.2759

Its not really good for leveling but it helps alot with crafting. You should make it a habit at later lvls though.

Posted by: Rolo.9248

Rolo.9248

Sneeze and you level, so I don’t see how that’s an issue (can’t see how not to overlevel).

I’m going to complete the map and I’d rather complete the starter zones sooner rather than later. I’ve been alternating between a low-level zone and a “progression” zone for some variety.

I’m also (slowly) levelling crafting and the resources are necessary, so it meshes.

Additionally, you can scoop up more skill points quickly by doing the extra zones, so you’re still developing your character.

i5-2500K 4.2GHz | 8GB Mushkin DDR3-2133 | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4, GTX580-882/2033
Crucial m4 128GB SSD (64GB SRT cache) | WD 2TB 2002FAEX | Antec Twelve Hundred
When I was your age, I could outrun a centaur…until I took an arrow to the knee