Dual-wield Effect on Critical Sigil Behavior

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: destijl.3769

destijl.3769

One of my Guardian’s weapon sets is scepter/focus, and I have both the scepter and focus upgraded with the Superior Sigil of Accuracy (5% critical chance). It’s been my observation that, when using this Sigil (and I assume similar Sigils, i.e. Superior Sigil of Force (5% damage)) while dual-wielding, you must have the sigil on both weapons to get the full 5% increase to critical chance.

So now I’m wondering how effect on critical Sigils behave. If I wanted to use, say, the Superior Sigil of Fire (30% chance on critical to trigger an AoE flame blast), would I have to have it upgrading both weapons to get the full 30% chance? Or would that effect only have a 15% chance to proc if only one weapon was upgraded with the Sigil?

I ask because this isn’t something easily testable (as in differences in % critical chance increase being immediately noticeable in the hero menu, or seeing that using two stack-on-kill Sigils don’t both stack while dual-wielding).

Does anyone know how effect on critical Sigils behave while dual-wielding? Do I have to use both or can I take advantage of another different Sigil in my off-hand weapon?

Your face is funny, all squished and weird.

Posted by: Tarroes.2987

Tarroes.2987

im not entirely sure, but i believe the sigils only affect the weapon they are in

like say you have duel axes. the sigil in your main hand axe would only affect your first 3 abilities, and the one in your offhand would only affect your last 2 abilities

thats what i was told awhile ago, and so far it seems to be true

Edit: Stack on kill sigils will stack twice if both weapons have the same one.
if two different are used, only one will stack

(edited by Tarroes.2987)

Posted by: destijl.3769

destijl.3769

Ahh, that’s good to know. I was just going to plug the same one in my main and off-hand anyway, but that seals the deal.

And yeah I wasn’t very clear with how I worded the part about the stacking sigils. For anyone who wants to know: having 2 different stack-on-kill sigils while dual-wielding is useless – you’ll only stack from the one in your main hand. But, if you have the same stacking sigil in your main and off-hand, you’ll get two stacks per kill. However it still only stacks to 25 (not 50 as might be assumed).

Your face is funny, all squished and weird.

Posted by: SlimGenre.6417

SlimGenre.6417

Good question regarding the “on critical” sigil’s. Wonder if that 30% chance only triggers 15% of the time if on a single wep in a dual wield setup? I would probably assume what Tarroes said is true and it’s more about which skills that particular weapon uses, 103 or 4.5

Posted by: Awesome.6120

Awesome.6120

if you have two 30% chance on crit sigils then you will have a roughly 50% chance of the effect proccing off each crit. They will both share the same cooldown however.

[SFD] – Maguuma

(edited by Awesome.6120)

Posted by: Ilithis Mithilander.3265

Ilithis Mithilander.3265

The wiki page on sigils is a good read for some of these topics:
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Sigil

To answer the question about having two on-critical hit proc sigils:

Path 1 (You don’t crit):
Not much happens.

Path 2 (You crit):
The system checks your main-hand sigil, then rolls a dice to see if it falls within that 30% chance to proc. If it does, then the ability will trigger and a CD starts for ALL on-critical hit sigils. The game will then look to your off-hand sigil. Since its an on-critical hit one, its on CD. GW2 skips it. Once the CD expires, the abilities can trigger again.

Say when you crit and the game rolls a dice for your main-hand sigil and it DOES NOT fall within that 30% chance window. GW2 will look to your off-hand sigil. Since it’s an on-critical hit sigil, it rolls a dice to see if this one triggers. If it triggers, then ALL on-critical hit sigils go on CD. If it does not trigger, then the system waits for you to score another critical hit.

While one on-critical hit sigil is on CD, none others may activate.

Primary Guild: Testing Eternity [TE]
Chloe (Version 3):
[i7 930 @ 4.1Ghz (1.3875V) w/Cooler Master 120M][Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (stock)]

Posted by: LithePanther.5027

LithePanther.5027

im not entirely sure, but i believe the sigils only affect the weapon they are in

like say you have duel axes. the sigil in your main hand axe would only affect your first 3 abilities, and the one in your offhand would only affect your last 2 abilities

thats what i was told awhile ago, and so far it seems to be true

Edit: Stack on kill sigils will stack twice if both weapons have the same one.
if two different are used, only one will stack

I don’t understand how this keeps getting repeated. This information is absolutely wrong.

If I have a Sigil of Fire on my OH weapon, my MH weapon can activate it. If I have Sigil of Accuracy on my MH, my OH skills are benefitted as well.

Quoted straight from the wiki: “Sigil effects are not restricted to the respective weapon’s skills. For example, a Sigil of Force on an off hand weapon will also increase the damage of mainhand skills or utility skills.”

80 Guardian. 80 Warrior. 80 Thief. 80 Engineer. 80 Necromancer. 80 Ranger.

Posted by: akamon.2769

akamon.2769

here’s just for clarification then. as mentioned above, if i have sigil of accuracy on my MH, do i need a sigil of accuracy in my OH for the full 5%? or does having it in either hand add the full 5%?

and i guess this is sort of a silly question, but do the sigils only take effect when i am actively using that weapon? i.e. if i weapon swap, and my wep with sigil of accuracy is “stowed” (but not in inventory of course), will i still get the benefit of the 5% crit chance?

i only ask because stacks build up and you don’t lose them even if you swap weapons (only on down, travel, logging, etc)

Akaimon | Jolly Good Guardian
Akaigi | Warrior Made of Wood
[CDS] – Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: AwwGee.5628

AwwGee.5628

Either hand.

Yes, stowed weapons have no effect. The exception is the stack build up – in fact you can re-equip a weapon and maintain the stacks.

Posted by: LithePanther.5027

LithePanther.5027

Either hand.

Yes, stowed weapons have no effect. The exception is the stack build up – in fact you can re-equip a weapon and maintain the stacks.

Many players will carry around an extra weapon with a stacking sigil just for that purpose – they get the stacks and switch to their actual weapons afterwards.

80 Guardian. 80 Warrior. 80 Thief. 80 Engineer. 80 Necromancer. 80 Ranger.

Posted by: akamon.2769

akamon.2769

yea i did that with my sigil of luck back when i was actively “farming” lol.

i feel i get downed too much in WvW to hugely benefit from it : // but i think that’s just a confidence thing. have always wanted to try bloodlust or perception.

and thanks for the confirms on my other questions! good to know.

Akaimon | Jolly Good Guardian
Akaigi | Warrior Made of Wood
[CDS] – Sanctum of Rall