Dueling in?

Dueling in?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Jjiinx.8795

Jjiinx.8795

Hey guys! Haven’t played in a while, just wanted to pop in and find out if they’ve added 1v1 dueling yet?

Dueling in?

Posted by: Merkator.6351

Merkator.6351

No they haven’t, and I hope they never do. I had my fill of people pm’ing me “Hey dood, why dont u accept duls?” (yes, typed just like that!) from other MMO’s.

Dueling in?

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

heaven forbid!
there is plenty of ‘dueling’ in WvW, or sPvP/tPvP; no need for it in PvE

Dueling in?

Posted by: Jjiinx.8795

Jjiinx.8795

oh jeez, i just remembered why I stopped playing

Dueling in?

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

Dueling in the open world was something they were willing to do, but is a low priority. Dueling can be achieved in custom arenas, which will be available “soon”.

Dueling in?

Posted by: aaron.7850

aaron.7850

the first 2 replies on this thread are sad

Dueling in?

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

No, and dueling should never be in the game unless it is done in a way that doesn’t affect those who don’t want it. I don’t like dueling, I don’t like getting “duel requests” either. I can defeat anyone in the rented servers that are coming “soon”, if I want to defeat some duel noobs.

Dueling in?

Posted by: Tosha Daydreamer.9251

Tosha Daydreamer.9251

My very first experience with duelling was when I was new in WoW and was taking my fresh level 5 out for some questing, when another level 5 came in and kept spamming duel requests for 15 minutes, whispering me and shouting at me in map chat “wanna duel?” “wanna duel?” “I’ll give you 5 gold if you win” etc etc.
And no matter how many times I asked him to gtfo, he didnt stop.

It ruined me for open world duelling forever.

However, I did have fun having little duels in GW1 with my guildies in private matches in our GH, while the rest of the guild could watch us play and mock whoever lost. I would not mind seeing that again. But open world duelling where I can be spammed by any pre-teen with a godcomplex? No. Oh gods no.

Dueling in?

Posted by: Fairymore.8609

Fairymore.8609

What exactly is complicated about putting in a feature that allows two players to fight against each other?
Right click them, select duel, they are given an option to accept or decline, they accept, fight happens and fight ends.
Lord of the rings online has a dueling system. Lotro, which is a very…unique…game has this.

Dueling in?

Posted by: Lafiel.9372

Lafiel.9372

the first 2 replies on this thread are sad

Then the subsequent ones show the two sides of the extreme clashing together resulting in the big bang.

Dueling in?

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

What exactly is complicated about putting in a feature that allows two players to fight against each other?
Right click them, select duel, they are given an option to accept or decline, they accept, fight happens and fight ends.
Lord of the rings online has a dueling system. Lotro, which is a very…unique…game has this.

The problem with your right click to duel is exactly like Tosha says.

People who are not interested will be forever spammed.
Never-mind that I can just see a bunch of duelers spamming people trying to do events and not contributing at all.

Have duels in arenas- end of problem.

There is no reason for people who want duels to oppose arenas unless they of course want to run around the open world harassing other players. In which case I’d rather just not give them the opportunity.

Gunnar’s Hold

Dueling in?

Posted by: Erasculio.2914

Erasculio.2914

It’s not complicated.

It’s simply bad.

I hope ArenaNet never adds dueling. If they do, however, I definitely hope they never add open world dueling, that’s more a nuisance than anything else.

“I think that players are starting to mature past the point of wanting to be on that
treadmill, of being in that obvious pattern of every time I catch up you are going to
put another carrot in front of me” – Mike O’Brien right before Ascended weapons

Dueling in?

maddoctor.2738

And also add a “toggle” of “accept duel requests” as well… have if OFF by default and anyone who wants to get spammed with duel requests (or give requests) needs to turn it ON and start dueling. That way those who don’t care about duels won’t be affected in any way. Also, auto block for any PMs containing “duel”, “dueling” and such, when the toggle is on “OFF”, to prevent kids from spamming PMs, while I don’t want in anyway to duel them.
It’s not as simple afterall…

Dueling in?

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

I would love to see duels, though with an auto decline toggle in settings for some of the above posters.

It seems like a pretty standard feature in MMOs so I was surprised to not see it here 0_o

Dueling in?

Tolmos.8395

Dueling in the open world was something they were willing to do, but is a low priority.

Outstanding. That is definitely what I wanted to here. Can’t wait!

Dueling in?

Posted by: Qid.1937

Qid.1937

Wow you people need to learn to use them block invite features practically every game has.

BG Mrplow – Highly rated since 1987.

Dueling in?

maddoctor.2738

Wow you people need to learn to use them block invite features practically every game has.

You mean blocking anyone that spams dueling requests? Why should I need to do that? They can add a new feature in the game, but it shouldn’t mess up anything already in the game, I shouldn’t be “forced” to deal with duel spam by blocking them.

Dueling in?

Posted by: Vissarion.6509

Vissarion.6509

Dueling is a must in a 2012 game, i hope they add it soon!

They called us TEMPESTs, but we can use our elite to cheat death instead

Dueling in?

Posted by: Zex.4629

Zex.4629

Hopefully soon. If people really don’t want to bother with it for whatever reason they can’t use the block feature just place little arena areas where you can only duel there.

Dueling in?

Posted by: hharry.1967

hharry.1967

I really cant wait for a feature like this, not only for sPvP, but also for PvE, i would like to duel my friends in my PvE gear to test stuff and so on. Just add a block feature and u will be fine.

Dueling in?

Posted by: alms.1807

alms.1807

Me and my friends would love a feature like this implemented and I hope it’s at least something they’re considering.

It’s a shame a few people don’t like the feature but perhaps they could add a “block all duel invites” option so those people who don’t like duelling never have to be face an invite.

Dueling in?

Posted by: Lonewolf Kai.3682

Lonewolf Kai.3682

I wouldn’t mind seeing dueling, but I’d like to see it as not only as an open world option but an option in the pvp arena, along with stat boards like what’s being proposed in the future patches.

“Be like water” – Bruce Lee

Dueling in?

aaron.7850

For all the duel haters… its as simple as “auto decline toggle”, bam, problem solved, you PVErs are happy, and we duelists are happy.

Dueling in?

Tolmos.8395

lol I wish they would hurry and give a concrete date on when they are releasing the open world dueling. I’m probably more excited about its release than anything else they’ve put out so far =D

Dueling in?

Posted by: Erasculio.2914

Erasculio.2914

For all the duel haters… its as simple as “auto decline toggle”, bam, problem solved, you PVErs are happy, and we duelists are happy.

Nope.

Dueling in the open world adds a lot of visual polution. It would also be bad for the game, considering how it has not been balanced for 1v1. And really… The kind of player who wants to duel random strangers isn’t the best one to be cattered to.

“I think that players are starting to mature past the point of wanting to be on that
treadmill, of being in that obvious pattern of every time I catch up you are going to
put another carrot in front of me” – Mike O’Brien right before Ascended weapons

Dueling in?

Posted by: keichi.5107

keichi.5107

And wheres your Point? Even in WvW we often have 1on1 Matches, so there really is’nt a Problem with it…

btw i would also like to have that feature, just to kick my Guild Officer in the kitten when he screws up again in the WvW Guild Raids <__<

Dueling in?

Posted by: Emerge.9640

Emerge.9640

If they bother you with it, just use the ignore feature and they go about wasting their time..

ROAM | Oink | TLP

Dueling in?

aaron.7850

Nope.

Dueling in the open world adds a lot of visual polution. It would also be bad for the game, considering how it has not been balanced for 1v1. And really… The kind of player who wants to duel random strangers isn’t the best one to be cattered to.

Visual pollution?

You are saying this as if all the world would actively seek duels all the time, the dueling community would naturally decide on a spot away from people, monsters and NPCs and gather there to watch, chat and learn.

They can simply disable it in major cities, your visual polution “problem” has no grounds sorry.

Dueling in?

Posted by: DJSkittles.7196

DJSkittles.7196

If they add guild halls, and only allow dueling in the premises of a certain area of these halls, would that appeal to most of the player base?

Dueling in?

Posted by: Melchior.2135

Melchior.2135

I’d be all for open world dueling, provided the dialogue window that pops up to accept/decline includes a “decline all invites from this player forever” checkbox, and possibly even an “while you’re at it add them to my ignore list” box. The fewer menus I have to click through to get invite spammers out of my hair, the better.

Also, blocking it in cities would be a must… but having a gate in all cities leading to an arena or dueling ground would also be a must.

Former Guild Wars 2 fan. RIP, ArenaNet’s integrity.

Dueling in?

Posted by: Fishbait.6723

Fishbait.6723

Stick an On or Off option in settings to accept or decline all duel requests.

The PvErs need never be bothered again.
This way the PvPers get something every other game that exists that has PvP. Hell, even in Terraria you can scrap each other
Duelling in open world could only be a pain as copious amounts of mobs all over the place, so give a small (not too small) arena room (or a few to pick from, not on rotation like that annoying sPvP mess, where players can party group into, something like Aion` Pandemonium arena room.
That place is amazing fun, one of, if not the best, places in any game I`ve spent hours in.

“We want you to play the game, not the UI” Arenanet.
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/Top-right-GO-away/first#post2096524
Rocking Wizard Wars until this mess of a game is fixed…

Dueling in?

Posted by: cargan.5689

cargan.5689

My very first experience with duelling was when I was new in WoW and was taking my fresh level 5 out for some questing, when another level 5 came in and kept spamming duel requests for 15 minutes, whispering me and shouting at me in map chat “wanna duel?” “wanna duel?” “I’ll give you 5 gold if you win” etc etc.
And no matter how many times I asked him to gtfo, he didnt stop.

It ruined me for open world duelling forever.

However, I did have fun having little duels in GW1 with my guildies in private matches in our GH, while the rest of the guild could watch us play and mock whoever lost. I would not mind seeing that again. But open world duelling where I can be spammed by any pre-teen with a godcomplex? No. Oh gods no.

Same thing here , rolled character got into game that shall not be named, worked out what movement keys were.

Duel…no
Duel me …no
Duel me you chicken…NO
Duel me…Kitten off
you swore im reporting you.

Logged off to play some thing

Ulfar SOR

Dueling in?

Posted by: Kaizer.7135

Kaizer.7135

The problem with your right click to duel is exactly like Tosha says.

People who are not interested will be forever spammed.
Never-mind that I can just see a bunch of duelers spamming people trying to do events and not contributing at all.

Have duels in arenas- end of problem.

There is no reason for people who want duels to oppose arenas unless they of course want to run around the open world harassing other players. In which case I’d rather just not give them the opportunity.

Then just have a block duel requests function similar to block function in general?

Dueling in?

Posted by: vespers.1759

vespers.1759

i hope they add PVP arenas to the world (plains of ashford or something) where you can just run in and fight each other.

i really miss 1v1s and being yelled at by blue dots in zergvzerg doesn’t interest me much.

Bristleback can’t hit anything? Let’s fix the HP bug instead.

Dueling in?

Posted by: Leo Paul.1659

Leo Paul.1659

Dueling is the update I want the most really. For those who don’t want it, there’s plenty of games that have the option to immediately decline dueling requests (and not even showing anything on your screen to ‘bother’ you. The only place I think it would primarily change in player interaction is in major cities. Heck, why not just allow duels to take place in “safe zones”. It would satisfy those who don’t want it and those who do. Just like costume brawls.

Queen Of The Moors (Blackgate)
Deaths Fear [Fear] / The Hardcore Caravan [HC]
Forum Warrior: Black Belt in Ninja Edits

Dueling in?

Posted by: Urthona.3198

Urthona.3198

Then just have a block duel requests function similar to block function in general?

Because then you get this problem:

No they haven’t, and I hope they never do. I had my fill of people pm’ing me “Hey dood, why dont u accept duls?” (yes, typed just like that!) from other MMO’s.

If you block duel requests, the same people who spam those will spam you with complaints that you block duel requests. I support some sort of 1v1 feature, but it should be done through the PVP lobby.

Dueling in?

Leo Paul.1659

Nah I think it’s being greatly exaggerated the annoyance dueling will bring by some of the people here. I bet it would be so minor it won’t even matter to most. I’ve played tons of games that allows duels and rarely do I get whispers along the lines of “Why wouldn’t you duel?” or “Can we duel” or insults/complaints resulting from your decline thereafter. And I am one of those people who thoroughly enjoy dueling with everyone.

(edited by Leo Paul.1659)

Dueling in?

Posted by: Tarvok.4206

Tarvok.4206

Another option would be to have duel requests, rather than showing up as a pop-up or something, show up as a lit up icon, like how your backpack icon turns red when it’s full, or the little numbers indicating you have mail or stuff at the BLTC. If you’re looking for it, it’s there. If you’re not, you might not even notice (a bit like how sometimes, I sit there wondering why I’m not looting… and then realize my backpack has been full for a while). As to people spamming with PMs… we can block people from doing that, already.

Personally, I kind of like dueling.

Dueling in?

Posted by: lothefallen.7081

lothefallen.7081

Add dueling…

Add a “hide duel request” or “deny all duel requests” feature in the options panel.

Both sides are happy.

The Ardent Aegis
http://aa-guild.shivtr.com/

Dueling in?

Posted by: lothefallen.7081

lothefallen.7081

If they add guild halls, and only allow dueling in the premises of a certain area of these halls, would that appeal to most of the player base?

This is something they need to be careful of. They don’t want to segment the population by putting this feature only in an arena or only in some type of instance. Duels happen in a fantasy setting. They aid RP, they are nothing but good for a community when implemented with an “ignore all duels” feature.

The Ardent Aegis
http://aa-guild.shivtr.com/

Dueling in?

Posted by: demonwing.5843

demonwing.5843

Wow. How selfish can you be? “I don’t like duels so I don’t want you to duel either!! Wahh”.

It doesn’t affect you and it’s just for fun. If you want to duel you can duel and if you don’t you don’t have to.

“But people spam me!” First of all, this almost never happens to begin with. If it’s REALLY that big of an issue though and you REALLY thought REALLY hard for a second or two, you’d know a simple “ignore duel requests” function would be a full fix.

Dueling in?

Posted by: Urthona.3198

Urthona.3198

“But people spam me!” First of all, this almost never happens to begin with. If it’s REALLY that big of an issue though and you REALLY thought REALLY hard for a second or two, you’d know a simple “ignore duel requests” function would be a full fix.
kitten

That’s what I’m saying though: it isn’t. WoW had a feature to deny requests.

Every time I passed the Orgrimmar gate-yes, every single time, at least before flying mounts were enabled-I would have two or three people spam me with a poorly-spelled variation of “Why do you have dueling blocked?!” If I didn’t answer, I would sometimes be insulted. On the rare occasions I did, it was often followed by more insults or sometimes “OMG PLZ DUEL ME” spam.

Now, it’s possible that I just played on really bad servers for that, but it did happen on more than one server. I’ll concede that GW2 doesn’t really have the same kind of chokepoint, so it might not be as bad. But then again, if the area outside the bank in Lion’s Arch became people’s chosen dueling spot… * shudders *

Also, since a large number of people dueling in one spot affects performance, it really would affect people who didn’t duel. (If they restricted it to certain spots it would be less of an issue.)

(edited by Urthona.3198)

Dueling in?

Posted by: Kain.9127

Kain.9127

If they do I’d hope it’d be very limited. Like a special arena from heart of the mists. NOT in open world, but ESPECIALLY not in wvw. You’d get those people that thats all they do, sit there and duel while the rest of wvw goes on.

Not to mention all the people that would start complaining about balance issues because x class beats y class every time.

That said, I do miss being able to just practice with my buddies.

Dueling in?

Posted by: Pod.2769

Pod.2769

For those who don’t want to duel or receive duel request why not simply put in an option for players not to receive the request in the first place. If they so choose.

I think the lack of a duel option is a rather large and glaring hole in GW2.

Dueling in?

Leo Paul.1659

I don’t really understand why someone would rather not have a feature because he/she doesn’t want to be whispered. It’s an extremely trivial reason.

I agree it shouldn’t be allowed in wvw, but I think the very reason why some of us wants dueling to be implemented is to do it in PvE areas. We can always choose a room in PvP and ‘duel’ there if we really want to. As per my suggestion, allowing duels in safe zones (camps/cities) is an agreeable alternative.

Dueling in?

Posted by: Simon.3106

Simon.3106

Duel in pvp. I see it pointless in PvE. I can imagine people asking me for a challenge every second in PvE…. People are jealous of me these days for some reasons… no joke 0_0

~Way of the Ranger~
Legendary Ranger, Simon

Dueling in?

Leo Paul.1659

Duel in pvp. I see it pointless in PvE. I can imagine people asking me for a challenge every second in PvE…. People are jealous of me these days for some reasons… no joke 0_0

Well, it comes with the price of being a celebrity. Even in real life, the famous gets horded by requests (pictures, autographs, etc.) from their fans and are constantly targeted by critics. There aren’t so many of you guys though, I imagine only a handful of people are exceptional enough to be considered worthy of being dueled by every one he encounters, everywhere and every time.

Dueling in?

maddoctor.2738

Nope.

There is a chat filter already in the game, so anyone who spams the word “duel” will get a chat ban, that’s not a big problem, I don’t know if it works in PMs too, if it doesn’t, it should work at least for “duel”. They just need to put an auto-decline feature AND have it ON by default, then and only then they could add it for those who so much want it.

Dueling in?

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

+1 for dueling.

Some of these reasons against it are preposterous. Saddens me to think that the devs might actually take feedback from these people to heart.

It saddens me that you think that because their opinions are just as valid as yours.
I really don’t want PvE open world dueling.
I can understand that some people do though- I think a good compromise would be to add arenas themed to each major city with a spectator mode so that people can duel there and others can watch if they want to.
What exactly is the objection to this?

Gunnar’s Hold

Dueling in?

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

Oh, and then all the whispers and in open chat: I want to duel with you. My blocked list would grow beyond what I want it to be…