ESC: Am I doing it wrong?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Allisa Wonderland.8192

Allisa Wonderland.8192

I have always used the ESC key de-target an enemy.

1) stop autoattacking
2) more importantly, so my Guardian GS #3 skill jumps forward instead of off at some random monster behind me

ESC needs to be pressed twice to do this.

I also (used to) use ESC to close all of my windows quickly when I was being attacked during an inventory check.

The Problem

When you hit the ESC key:

1) without something targeted, or
2) three times, or
3) one too many times when closing windows

The red “logout” menu comes up.. which means I have to exit that window to regain control of my character.

I know that I can stop targeting by

1) clicking on “nothing” (requires finding some nothing to click!)
2) turning away (well, at least that stops autoattacking for range weapons) from an enemy

My question is:

Is ESC intended to be used for untargetting?

And If so,

Is it possible to have a “ESC doesn’t open the logout menu” instead of “ESC doesn’t close windows” ?

Posted by: metaldude.4132

metaldude.4132

You can Always choose to use option to set “auto target” off and use tab to target manually.
But I feel your pain..way too often I am surrounded by 4 or 5 mobs at close range..and instead of targeting one of those, the system decides to target a ambient creature about a million miles away XD

Sharpen your justice. Dust off resolve. Brace your courage. The Guardian dragonhunter approaches.

Posted by: kokiman.2364

kokiman.2364

You should definitely disable auto target.

GuildWars 2

Currently playing Heart of Thorns.

Posted by: Alchymista.8192

Alchymista.8192

This is exactly the thing what i miss here so much.. Cant untarget enemy and cancel casting.. There is nothing more anoying when ESC menu popup in middle of fight

Seafarer Never Rest

Allisa Wonderland.8192

You should definitely disable auto target.

I do have auto target disabled. Thanks for suggesting though, I went back and looked at my existing settings to ensure it hadn’t been turned back on

Currently, Double-Click to Attack and Stop Autoattacking on Target Change are the only two settings I have enabled.

Ground targeting is set to normal.

Allisa Wonderland.8192

This is exactly the thing what i miss here so much.. Cant untarget enemy and cancel casting.. There is nothing more anoying when ESC menu popup in middle of fight

I’m not sure we can miss what we never had, but I do agree that it can be quite deadly.

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

I just press Tab if I need to stop attacking a mob. Pressing Esc just seems like a bad idea.

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

I’ve never used ESC as a targeting tool (I have CLOSEST / NEXT / PREV TARGET assigned and use those).

I use ESC to CANCEL skills / actions and open the menu only. I’m not sure how some players operate without using it at all as there are definitely certain skills / actions that can’t be interrupted by the player any other way (that I’m aware of….I could be totally mistaken).

Yes, the menu can get opened accidentally and cause issues, but that’s 100% my fault (too aggressive with the ESC button). I pay for my own mistakes.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

(edited by Brother Grimm.5176)

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

At least the ESC menu can be toggled off by tapping ESC again, so if it flashes up it only blocks your view for a second.

My problem, that is entirely of my own making, is that I have my Dodge and PVP keys right next to each other. Combat gets heated, I hit Dodge, only to have the WvW scoreboard fill my view when my finger’s already moving back to my skill keys. Ouch.

Allisa Wonderland.8192

Yes, ESC to cancel skills makes sense. Next target is one of my most used keys (Q!) as well.. I don’t use ESC to target either, only to UNtarget.

But Tab?? It -may- select another enemy, but following that up with a GS #3 will shoot me off in some random direction depending on what monster I happened to use as my untarget host.

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

But Tab?? It -may- select another enemy, but following that up with a GS #3 will shoot me off in some random direction depending on what monster I happened to use as my untarget host.

I just use Tab to make myself stop attacking. If I plan to run away, I’ll turn myself around, click to fully clear any targets, and then run.

Posted by: JoshuaRAWR.4653

JoshuaRAWR.4653

It’s a pain in the kitten , but you eventually get used to double tapping escape to de-target a mob.

One button press should be enough though, I’m not sure why it isn’t, at first i was thinking “in-case you accidentally hit escape” but who ever accidentally hits that button?

Warrior 80 | Guardian 80 | Ranger 80 | Engineer 80 |
Thief 80 | Elementalist 80 | Mesmer 80 | Necromancer 80 | Revenant TBA

Allisa Wonderland.8192

It’s a pain in the kitten , but you eventually get used to double tapping escape to de-target a mob.

One button press should be enough though, I’m not sure why it isn’t, at first i was thinking “in-case you accidentally hit escape” but who ever accidentally hits that button?

Note: 6500 hours of game play since pre launch…

What I don’t understand is why there is either:

A) an untarget bind
B) a “red menu” rebind to avoid this

Posted by: RollingBob.8502

RollingBob.8502

At least the ESC menu can be toggled off by tapping ESC again, so if it flashes up it only blocks your view for a second.

My problem, that is entirely of my own making, is that I have my Dodge and PVP keys right next to each other. Combat gets heated, I hit Dodge, only to have the WvW scoreboard fill my view when my finger’s already moving back to my skill keys. Ouch.

May I suggest mapping dodge somewhere else that you don’t ever use and then mapping that key to a thumb button on a gaming mouse? Unless you are a point-and-click, if not you’ll find putting that dodge into your fluid movement/direction hand (your mouse hand) you have much more intuitive control.