Elementalist Roles in Dungeons?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: MangoMan.3218

MangoMan.3218

When I was playing a dungeon with some people, one of them told me to choose an element to use, since there was already two elementalists (including me). I told him I would use lightning. But this doesn’t make sense. Isn’t the idea that people don’t really have their own “roles” to fill in combat? Why was I assigned to an element? What is the strategy in that? It went against all my instincts to use one element more than others. I feel it’s much more effective to use the skills from all elements.

Just vanquishing the hate. | Ziios, TC
http://www.youtube.com/MangoMiner

Posted by: Draco Aurum.7520

Draco Aurum.7520

That guy was an idiot. Use your Elementalist as you would normally, no matter how many other Ele’s you have in your party.

Posted by: Ojimaru.8970

Ojimaru.8970

The worst information is wrong information.

Use all four elements. Ignore the fail troll.

MangoMan.3218

Thanks so much guys.

Posted by: Charming Rogue.8071

Charming Rogue.8071

LOL, use only 1 element, hahaha. Don’t have anything to add, just though that was funny to read.

Desolation – EU – [KING] – Immortal Kingdom

Posted by: IamALie.8190

IamALie.8190

Wait, this guy asked you to use one element? So you had 2 elementalists (you said 2 including you, so I’m assuming you were one of the 2. though it sounds like you might’ve meant 2 + you) that basically had to use 1/4 of their movepool? o.o Sounds like a huge crutch to your team XD may I ask how this dungeon run went?

Posted by: synk.6907

synk.6907

Too many people have the GW1 mentality of elementalists where you specialized almost exclusively in one element all of the time. That just doesn’t provide all an ele can bring to the table [and should] in GW2.

Posted by: Ferny.8250

Ferny.8250

When I was playing a dungeon with some people, one of them told me to choose an element to use, since there was already two elementalists (including me). I told him I would use lightning. But this doesn’t make sense. Isn’t the idea that people don’t really have their own “roles” to fill in combat? Why was I assigned to an element? What is the strategy in that? It went against all my instincts to use one element more than others. I feel it’s much more effective to use the skills from all elements.

Did you ask the guy if he has ever played ele?

Posted by: Feywray.4351

Feywray.4351

I’d wager the guy probably WAS an ele.

Posted by: Singh.8206

Singh.8206

1st off it’s your toon, play what you want and how you want.
Me personally when it comes to playing this class, I’m constantly switching elements plus every weapon load-out.

Posted by: Vick.6805

Vick.6805

Yeah…anyone who tells an Elementalist to stay on one attunement needs to play an Ele for a while, because that’s definitely not how an Ele works.

Asking your team’s Elementalists how they’re traited is reasonable, because there are lots of valid play styles, but even a fully support-traited Elementalist is going to be switching attunements constantly.

As many of the above posters have said: treat a dungeon the same as any other PvE scenario, just with more emphasis on teamwork.

Posted by: Yumiko Ishida.3769

Yumiko Ishida.3769

I run staff and switch between water (healing and single large packets) and raw damage (fire, earth) and air to move faster/pick off small weak trash. I’m traited to swap attunes to get boons and give boons/auras to others. So I’m a very powerful support/damage dealer.

Yumiko Emi Ishida 80 Ele, Hikari Kyoko Ishida 80 Guard TC-NA. Active RPer of NA megaserver.

MangoMan.3218

Just so people know:
I didn’t listen to the guy very much. I used all my elements anyway. However, I did use lighting more than others (just while I waited for them to cool down). The dungeon went okay, however, I had to leave early, so I wasn’t able to finish. Nobody seemed to care that I had to leave I was a much less experienced player then. At the time I felt like the toddler following the big boys around because I wanted to be cool like them (by that I mean I felt inferior). Luckily I’m up to the 70’s so I think I’ll get taken a little more seriously than before. That was actually my first and only time doing a dungeon (besides FotM, which I did later).
Thanks again for the feedback.

MangoMan.3218

Just so people know:
I didn’t listen to the guy very much. I used all my elements anyway. However, I did use lighting more than others (just while I waited for them to cool down). The dungeon went okay, however, I had to leave early, so I wasn’t able to finish. Nobody seemed to care that I had to leave I was a much less experienced player then. At the time I felt like the toddler following the big boys around because I wanted to be cool like them (by that I mean I felt inferior, and that’s what they thought about me). Luckily I’m up to the 70’s so I think I’ll get taken a little more seriously than before. That was actually my first and only time doing a dungeon (besides FotM, which I did later).
Thanks again for the feedback.