Engi or Ranger for end?

Engi or Ranger for end?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Damash.1074

Damash.1074

Heey guys,

Id like to focus on the end game, right from the start. So if id like to do some WvW Roaming and Zerging, Raids and Dungeons. What prof should i focus on? Engi or Ranger? If you had to choose 1?

Thanks in Advance,

Alpha Alex

Engi or Ranger for end?

Posted by: Metalman.6345

Metalman.6345

Hi, since we dont know what will raids require yet, i cant reccomend you anything for that. As for dungeons, both engi and ranger are usually to no use. For WvW i think ranger makes most sense. I know that my answer to dungeons will probably make a lot of people angry, but current meta doesnt allow balanced stuff If you dont mind not being meta, i think you should try engi.

(edited by Metalman.6345)

Engi or Ranger for end?

Posted by: Sagramor.7395

Sagramor.7395

As Metalman has mentioned we don’t know the details of raids yet, but hopefully there will be a place for everyone since they’re 10-mans.

Secondly, and this goes for all game modes, you happened to have narrowed it down to the last two professions to have their Elite spec revealed in full. Forge (or whatever name they go with) will be this week for Engi, and Druid for Ranger will follow. So without info on the Elites you really can’t say one way or another.

Also, you don’t have to pick just one. It’s no trouble to level and maintain 2 80’s. On top of that they’re both medium armor profs so they can share account bound armor, which might make life a little easier.

Engi or Ranger for end?

Posted by: Snoring Sleepwalker.9073

Snoring Sleepwalker.9073

I’d go with ranger. Mainly because having to manually spam grenade #1 is annoying because grenades can not be set to auto-attack.

You could always find some builds then practise the dps rotations against the SPvP target dummies. See which builds are more fun there.

Engi or Ranger for end?

Damash.1074

So since you guys no more than me, obviously.
could you guys recommend me some builds for both Profs? And Engi isnt all about throwing/spamming grenades and bombs right? And Ranger not all about his LB?

Alpha Alex

Engi or Ranger for end?

Posted by: Snoring Sleepwalker.9073

Snoring Sleepwalker.9073

I recommend looking at the guides on Dulfy. Especially when I’m expecting updates to most when HoT comes out.

Engi or Ranger for end?

Posted by: Sagramor.7395

Sagramor.7395

could you guys recommend me some builds for both Profs? And Engi isnt all about throwing/spamming grenades and bombs right? And Ranger not all about his LB?

That’s how many people play them, but its by no means mandatory.

Engi or Ranger for end?

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

http://metabattle.com/wiki/MetaBattle_Wiki

A good starting point.

Engineer

For PvE you have two main build. Power and Sinister Grenadier. Sinister have higher dps, but can’t hurt structure and isn’t as good while using Elementalist Icebow.

For WvW roaming, take a look at sPvP build and adapt them. Soldier Rifle is pretty solid. For WvW Zerging on the other end, Engineer is average.

Ranger

For PvE there is three main build. The Sinister A/T have the highest DPS, while Bezerker S/A + Longbow is not far behind. There is also the S/A + GS Quick Draw build that have a little bit lower dps, but work fine. Longbow on Ranger is not good for PvE. In Open World it do the job, but for dungeon, you should only use it at the start of the fight and never switch back to it for the whole fight after that.

Power Survival build do that job in sPvP. The taunt on it is powerful. But for WvW zerg, the ranger is like the engineer average.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

Engi or Ranger for end?

Damash.1074

http://metabattle.com/wiki/MetaBattle_Wiki

A good starting point.

Engineer

For PvE you have two main build. Power and Sinister Grenadier. Sinister have higher dps, but can’t hurt structure and isn’t as good while using Elementalist Icebow.

For WvW roaming, take a look at sPvP build and adapt them. Soldier Rifle is pretty solid. For WvW Zerging on the other end, Engineer is average.

Ranger

For PvE there is three main build. The Sinister A/T have the highest DPS, while Bezerker S/A + Longbow is not far behind. There is also the S/A + GS Quick Draw build that have a little bit lower dps, but work fine. Longbow on Ranger is not good for PvE. In Open World it do the job, but for dungeon, you should only use it at the start of the fight and never switch back to it for the whole fight after that.

Power Survival build do that job in sPvP. The taunt on it is powerful. But for WvW zerg, the ranger is like the engineer average.

So what would you recommend? If not having to spam grenades and bombs, but also be ablefocus on the weapons (p/p is pretty viable for engi as ive heard).

Alpha Alex

Engi or Ranger for end?

Posted by: OJM.5103

OJM.5103

Firstly to answer your question, no, Engineer is not all about spamming bombs and grenades. If you look at optimal rotations for Engineer in PvE for example you will see that grenades are just one part of their dps rotation.

In terms of PvE – both can be an asset to a team in dungeons/fractals if played efficiently. Ranger offers frost spirit & spotter for party wide buff and Engineer offers heavy condition pressure (when using sinister specifically), vuln, might stacking, reflect on elixir, stealth… Engi is basically the jack of all trades and can fill in for missing utility based upon the party comp if needed.

Both have their niché uses however unfortunately they are often frowned upon by casual dungeon guilds and pugs who fear to fray outside of the x1 war, x1 guard, 2 ele and thief comp as often enough they don’t know what a ranger/engi can bring to the team if played well.

If I had to pick between the two I would prefer an Engineer on the team than a Ranger… but it all comes down to the player for me personally.

In PvP Engi is pretty solid playing either soldier rifle or some kind of gimmick condi spec. Ranger isn’t in the best position right now but Power survival hits pretty hard and taunt is very strong however you’re pretty easily countered and often focused.

WvW I cannot say but I would imagine Engineer would be a better choice based upon my knowledge of both classes in PvP.

Ultimately I would suggest going with Engineer, currently it is pretty solid in the 2/3 game modes (can’t say about wvw). However, that is not to say that you should remove ranger from the equation entirely. I would suggest playing both and seeing which you prefer after you’ve tried them both for a good amount of time.

[GAMW]

Engi or Ranger for end?

Damash.1074

Firstly to answer your question, no, Engineer is not all about spamming bombs and grenades. If you look at optimal rotations for Engineer in PvE for example you will see that grenades are just one part of their dps rotation.

In terms of PvE – both can be an asset to a team in dungeons/fractals if played efficiently. Ranger offers frost spirit & spotter for party wide buff and Engineer offers heavy condition pressure (when using sinister specifically), vuln, might stacking, reflect on elixir, stealth… Engi is basically the jack of all trades and can fill in for missing utility based upon the party comp if needed.

Both have their niché uses however unfortunately they are often frowned upon by casual dungeon guilds and pugs who fear to fray outside of the x1 war, x1 guard, 2 ele and thief comp as often enough they don’t know what a ranger/engi can bring to the team if played well.

If I had to pick between the two I would prefer an Engineer on the team than a Ranger… but it all comes down to the player for me personally.

In PvP Engi is pretty solid playing either soldier rifle or some kind of gimmick condi spec. Ranger isn’t in the best position right now but Power survival hits pretty hard and taunt is very strong however you’re pretty easily countered and often focused.

WvW I cannot say but I would imagine Engineer would be a better choice based upon my knowledge of both classes in PvP.

Ultimately I would suggest going with Engineer, currently it is pretty solid in the 2/3 game modes (can’t say about wvw). However, that is not to say that you should remove ranger from the equation entirely. I would suggest playing both and seeing which you prefer after you’ve tried them both for a good amount of time.

Thanks mate, i think ill start with Engi first, and later on i will try Ranger. Thanks for your effort typing that comment of yours! Everyone who posted, helped in my opinion.

Thanks all!

Alpha Alex