Engineer Turret preventing the killing of wurms for a task

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Raidin.8205

Raidin.8205

Situation: Turret deployed in the first heart task area in Queensdale. It kills any wurm that spawns before a player is able to attack, within a split second of it becoming targettable. No Engineer in sight. Turret up for over 5 minutes. Turret is still up as of the writing of this post, on Ferguson’s Crossing.

Edit: While posting, a Rocket Turret was deployed near by to cover the entire area along with the Rifle Turret deployed beforehand.

Recommendation?

Posted by: Untouch.2541

Untouch.2541

I’d just hop worlds.

Posted by: Revenant.2691

Revenant.2691

Kill bandits in the area, water crops, and feed cows. Wurms aren’t the only way to advance that heart quest. Also, you’ll get some progress just from stomping the mounds.

Raidin.8205

Thanks but neither of the answers really solves the problem. They just avoid it. I am looking for a way to counter this “bullying” tactic. A way to find/report the owner. There should be a command that gives me the name of the owner if I use it while targetting the turrets.

Posted by: Natjur.4017

Natjur.4017

Turret should become ‘moveable’ by any player after 5 mins and the engineer who place them is more then 1000 metres away.

Also turrets should be named with the player who dropped them

Raidin.8205

I like those suggestions. Not sure about the moveable part, but they should self destruct when the Engineer is far enough away, or “botting”, as in repeating the same pattern of behavior too many times or inactive.

Posted by: UKNightWatch.5742

UKNightWatch.5742

Using a turret within the rules and limits of the game is not really ‘botting’ though.

That said, I have an engineer but would not leave my ‘gear’ standing (as I move far away) to take down enemies in the way you describe. That is to say that when I move my engineer on the gear moves on. A lot of the time, turrets get destroyed in battle and other times I blow ’em up.

Interestingly, coming from a different angle in this debate, I find it inconvenient that I can not destroy ‘air dropped’ (I forget the skill just now) turrets. More than a few times, a mob attacked by a flame turret I cannot destroy from such a drop (in example) has chased after me as I have moved out of combat area! Guess I just have to be careful in the deployment.

That’s just my thoughts on the matter.

No rig in my sig? Only posted if needed!

Posted by: Tassy.5891

Tassy.5891

How exactly is it bullying, this isn’t the real world there is no such thing. Sigh, sorry man nothing personal but when did gamers become so soft ?..Just ignore it, the turret will vanish after a few mins.

Posted by: Velius.7635

Velius.7635

Cant you just water the crops and feed the cow a couple times and move on with your day? Not only is he stealing wurms but he has stolen your time by you coming here and complaining about it. Just note that he is a kitten and move on. This isn’t any kind of big issue.

Posted by: GrimShade.8091

GrimShade.8091

It’s griefing, use that word and you get A-net’s attention.

So a high level engineer found a way to mass farm low level area’s to the detriment of other players in the area. I’ll wager A-Net will get a fix out to it after they read it.

Posted by: Leiloni.7951

Leiloni.7951

Aside from it being griefing it’s not fair. If an Engineer can effectively be in two places at once by leaving his gear behind while he goes and kills mobs somewhere else, than it needs to be nerfed. Once he is 1200m away from his gear it needs to disappear automatically.

The only other classes that can do anything similar is Mesmer but their clones/illusions die when the mobs die and are fairly squishy and Ranger’s but their pets are squishy as well. So unless Anet wants to make it possible for every class in the game to farm two separate areas at once, the Engineer class needs a few fixes. I don’t think ANet intended for the turrets to be used in that manner.

(edited by Leiloni.7951)

Posted by: UKNightWatch.5742

UKNightWatch.5742

To be fair, I have not tried leaving a turret up and wandering a long way off. As I said, where my engineer goes, his kit goes. I assumed the kit would dismantle if the engineer was too far from it. If this is not the case and the game does not dismantle kit left far away from the engineer then, maybe, it should. I have no formula to work out how far kit should be allowed to be left behind though.

If users with engineers are using a deliberate exploit and this can be proved then AN need to find a way to stop the exploit.

If users with engineers are using third party software or ‘bots’ to unfairly take advantage of an exploit or downright cheat, this needs looking at too.

No rig in my sig? Only posted if needed!

Posted by: Natjur.4017

Natjur.4017

Anyone else notice the auto deleveling issues with turrets?

Drop a turret in a L10 area, the turrets drops down to a L12 turret. The engineer then walks off into a L15 part of the zone and they delevel to L17. Their placed turret also delevels to L17 (even tho its STILL in a L10 area) and now it just owns EVERYTHING.

Maybe this is why the one OP was talking about was one shotting everything.

Tassy.5891

it’s amazing how you guys want everything so micro managed an so controlled, you want devs to play for you. I leave turrets behind everywhere I go because they are not important. an I would say this guy did exactly same thing. You can also bet this OP isnt telling whole story, it’s more likely the engi just walked away not caring an this guy missed out on a kill so he came here to vent.

But demanding that devs change the game because you missed an NPC that will respawn in 30 seconds is just silly. Way the game is going, it’s gonna end up as another warcraft, an none wants that.

Revenant.2691

I think people need to tone it down with the nerf-calling. Turrets are incredibly flimsy and can’t last by themselves for any amount of time outside of the easiest areas of Queensdale.

Being a high-level engineer has nothing to do with it, either. A level 4 turret is a level 4 turret, regardless of what gear the player has. The only advantage a level 4 rifle turret dropped by a downscaled engineer has over one dropped by a level 4 engineer would be solely from trait buffs, the effect of which would be almost negligible at that level.

On top of that, the wurms there are “hatchlings” and therefore have a fraction of the HP normal mobs do, which in that area is already very low. I usually one-shot them on new characters I roll. The argument could be made from this situation that turrets need to despawn after a set time/distance from the player, but you really can’t make a valid justification for nerfing something based on a single incident.

Even calling this blatant griefing is a stretch in my book. If it was a rifle turret, which I assume it is since rocket turrets have a delay between firing and hitting the target, and therefore wouldn’t be able to “instantly” kill things, and thumper/flamethrower turrets don’t have the range to hit the whole area, it could have been planted there by a brand-new engineer doing the heart and forgotten about. He could have run over to the crafting area or gone AFK. I try to always take down my turrets when I leave an area on my engie, but you sometimes forget. So yes, put in a timer on turrets or have them blow up when you get too far away, but don’t take away damage potential from what’s already one of the least-played classes in the game.

Revenant.2691

Anyone else notice the auto deleveling issues with turrets?

Drop a turret in a L10 area, the turrets drops down to a L12 turret. The engineer then walks off into a L15 part of the zone and they delevel to L17. Their placed turret also delevels to L17 (even tho its STILL in a L10 area) and now it just owns EVERYTHING.

Maybe this is why the one OP was talking about was one shotting everything.

I had honestly not noticed this. If this is happening, then yes, it should be fixed.

Posted by: yandere.9176

yandere.9176

I have playing an engineer by myself and I can tell you… This just happens. You deploy a turret and than you simply forget it, Most fights can be solved with spamming 1 so you explore the map, and than you realize wait my turret… Why can’t summen my turret, oh why I forgot it somewhere again.

Seriously this is not necessarly griefing.

Desolation – Mistress of significance level

Tassy.5891

Has nothing to do with griefing, today’s gamers really just want everything mirrored because they say “it isnt fair”…. Sadly todays gamers dont really have any experience with real MMO’s. Sadly true.
I cant even imagine what this lot would say if they had to deal with Daoc’s BoneDancers, Animists, friars,Thierg’s.Let alone the 40 other classes in the game…

Diversity is a good thing, all classes are not meant to be equal in all games, Just because blizzard did it does not mean we have to see it time an time again.This is/was not griefing hacking cheating or any other silly schoolyard event, it was purely because turrets are irrelevant an it’s easier to just walk away an leave them since they die very fast.

Some of you should try diversity occasionally, it makes an MMO a “true” MMO. (at least, helps it)

Posted by: Aramanth.1546

Aramanth.1546

Seriously this is not necessarly griefing.

It is if the engie did it on purpose.

Posted by: Nick.3926

Nick.3926

I saw this on my server a week or so ago when I decided to make a human. The worms would spawn dead and there were turrets placed to cover the entire area of the farm.

Turrets don’t delevel to a higher level then the area they are placed in. Easy fix.

Raidin.8205

The reason I posted when and where it was happening is to help corroborate the story. I’d never come here to vent because someone did something perfectly legal and it annoyed me. Of course, no one can take my word for it, but there’s my statement on that. Besides, this is a co-op game. No one can come attack my target and make it worse for me because they’d only be helping me. But if you’re going to help ruin my experience for your own gain, then we have a problem.

In regards to what happened, the turrets stayed up for over an hour or so. At the end there was a Rifle, Rocket, and Healing turret all sitting there. The Healing turret eventually was gone but somehow the other two were maintained for a little over an hour or so.

Just to clarify based on some of the comments here, the rifle turret was one-shotting. The rocket turret was not, since it can’t with its firing delay.

I consider this griefing, and a bullying tactic. It needs to be under control. No player should be able to claim exclusive rights to anything that is free for all to enjoy.

Posted by: varonkia.9806

varonkia.9806

I’d just hop worlds.

How do you “hop worlds”?

Posted by: Leiloni.7951

Leiloni.7951

I’d just hop worlds.

How do you “hop worlds”?

You can’t, the guesting feature is not turned on yet by Anet.

Posted by: Debsylvania.7396

Debsylvania.7396

I agree that turrets stay up far longer than necessary. I have travelled through areas with turrets piled on top of each other every 10 yards or so. Whoever had placed them was nowhere to be seen, but the part of the zone I was running through was littered with them. Seems to me they really should poof when their owner moves far out of range.

Deb ~The Chewbacca Defense [TCD];
Waiting For Death [WFD]
@ Borlis Pass Server

Raidin.8205

Now if only the forum mod that moved this thread here could move it back to General Discussion so ArenaNet sees it more readily.

Posted by: Bvhjdbvkjf.1987

Bvhjdbvkjf.1987

Personally I think that any turret deployed by someone 10 levels higher than said event should be destroyable by other players. I don’t wanna move their turret, they placed it there knowingly and if it’s griefing other players it (as well as they owner) deserve to die.

Yeah turrets go away when they zone or get destroyed, the original probelm posted was about turrets killing mobs before they could even be targeted by others and that’s why if Anet’s not going to police the game to prevent these things they should enable us to do so. I’m glad they’re working on eliminating the botters but they’re not going to change the specs on the turrets just for this problem which is probably the reason a mod moved this to Players Helping Players – they don’t plan to do anything about it.

Just hope that the offenders decide to stop? Yeah that’s sure to resolve the issue…

Posted by: Dragoon.9536

Dragoon.9536

well i can honestly say I do this so i can get past the lvl 1-75 crafting area and it still barely net me any loot. Most engineer would not resort to this if the DR was lifted because no matter what i will alway recieve less loot til they (turret start killing something else). Killing is just a small one the feed cow/ save the farm does better then the worms. and yeah liek the player have said tehy are hatching it wouldnt suprise me if u sneeze on them they die and that spot is just easy for turret to not get ambush

Posted by: mercury ranique.2170

mercury ranique.2170

I would like to ask mods when placing a topic here to explain why. I have not a clue how other players can help here. It has been common practise in many MMO’s that some sick players find it funny to obstruct noob-players. This is very sick and sad, but all I can do bout is to show my dislike of this practise and show symphaty for the person responsable.

Cause the first quests in Queensdale (or any starter area) are really import for new players cause it is their first interaction with the full community, I would rather see GM’s taking actions against the sick person doing things like this.

But bottom line, Mods, when moving a post please explain what your intention is with it..

Arise, ye farmers of all nations
Arise, opressed of Tyria!

Posted by: Nkuvu.2570

Nkuvu.2570

I’ve left a turret behind before. Entirely unintentionally, I thought I’d destroyed it. Only realized when I got experience while jumping around trying to get to a vista.

I’ve seen turrets placed near common dynamic events, with no nearby players (engineer or otherwise). Malice? Ignorance? Who knows? And it doesn’t really matter. There’s no reason an engineer should be able to leave a turret behind to kill things when the actual character is nowhere near the area.

I’d be fully in agreement with changing it so that turrets self-destruct after a short time if the engineer goes out of range.

mercury ranique.2170

@Nkuvu Being an engineer myself, I do know what you mean, but I am pretty sure this is not the case here. A starting engineer would not have a turret with them, and engineers helping others or going for world completion are prolly starting with this heart and then move on. The turrets aren’t needed for this, and if you like them for the extra damage you are very likely to use them again at the next location (and thus exploding the one still up). Specially cause I have seen this too 1 or 2 times, I don’t believe it is a coincedence. But your right that an out of range boom option would be the best option.

Posted by: Golgathoth.3967

Golgathoth.3967

I’ve seen some instances of what I’d call botting or griefing with the turrets. People like to put them in the tutorial zone, where they one shot everything. I’ve watched one for a good ten minutes, it didn’t go away and I didn’t see the owner anywhere. I’ve also seen them being used to get credit for events when the engineer is somewhere else, intentional or not. Honestly turrets should self destruct when the engi is far enough away, or after a certain period of time.

Sylvari: 7 Humans: 3 Charr: 2 Norn: 1 Asura: 0
“Tarnished Coast” since head start!

Posted by: Nkuvu.2570

Nkuvu.2570

@Nkuvu Being an engineer myself, I do know what you mean, but I am pretty sure this is not the case here. A starting engineer would not have a turret with them, and engineers helping others or going for world completion are prolly starting with this heart and then move on.

Yeah, I agree that around the farm in Shaemoor, the turrets are probably placed there intentionally, for the same reasons you mentioned.

Probably. There is an event at the farm with a wurm queen, and the extra damage there from a rifle turret would be helpful. And for much of the rest of the zone, most of the time my engineer wouldn’t need to drop a turret down, so it may have simply been neglected.

But I also don’t want people to immediately see a turret placed somewhere and think “that engineer is griefing my game play!” It’s not always the case.

Edit: Just started a new Sylvari. There was a level 40 engineer in the Dream, with turrets placed all over, killing everything before I had a chance to touch anything. The engineer was off to the edge, almost outside the area of the tutorial, clearly in an attempt to avoid attention. This kind of garbage is exactly why I think turrets should self destroy after a few minutes out of range — the engineer was utterly silent (most likely AFK) and yet still gaining experience from killing the hounds. This is playing the game while you’re not even there, and it’s not even using a third party program.

In this case, it meant that I got to fight the dragon with just a basic attack and a heal, because I couldn’t unlock anything else before the turrets killed my target. Annoying. Thanks AFK engineer! I hate you (well, maybe hate is a little strong, but there is certainly a lack of love).

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: Golgathoth.3967

Golgathoth.3967

I have no idea what’s up with the “overleveled engineers in the Dream” thing, but it’s getting really common. Is it botting for gold selling? I thought they removed most drops from tutorials. Is it botting to gain levels? Seems like a really weird way to do it. How are they even getting into the Dream? So many questions.

Sylvari: 7 Humans: 3 Charr: 2 Norn: 1 Asura: 0
“Tarnished Coast” since head start!

mercury ranique.2170

I have no idea what’s up with the “overleveled engineers in the Dream” thing, but it’s getting really common. Is it botting for gold selling? I thought they removed most drops from tutorials. Is it botting to gain levels? Seems like a really weird way to do it. How are they even getting into the Dream? So many questions.

You can’t get into the dream after you left it (unless hacking the game wich is very hard and unlikely). If you don’t leave the dream (do the last bit) you can log off and get back in when you logon again, but you can’t do anything else (no asura portal or waypoint, so nothing to travel to).

If you see a level 40 in the dream, pls report them I dunno why, but there is no real reason to stay there. In GW1 there was asport of getting max level in the tutorial, but it was instanced so not bothering anyone (and anet even rewarded it later with a title), but in this game you are so much in the way of real starters that it is wrong and against the rules.