Errrr, how do runes actually work?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Caedus.6571

Caedus.6571

Currently have Crest of the Soldier on all my armor pieces and thinking of switching them out to Runes of the Dolyak. I just want to clear it up before I start spending all my gold.

Crest of the Soldier gives:

+20 Power
+14 Toughness
+14 Vitality

And when you multiply that by 6, I get a total of +120 Power, +84 Toughness, and +84 Vitality.

For the Superior Rune of the Dolyak the stats are:
(1): +25 Toughness
(2): +15 Vitality
(3): +50 Toughness
(4): +35 Vitality
(5): +90 Toughness
(6): Gain Health Regeneration

So, my question is, if I have all 6 runes on my armor pieces do I get a total of +165 Toughness +50 Vitality and Gain Health Regeneration, or just +90 Toughness, +35 Vitality and Gain Health Regeneration.

I know it’s a very noob question, and I’ve been playing for months and this thing has always bothered me. Thanks in advance for your answers!

Tarnished Coast WvW

Posted by: BioFringe.7945

BioFringe.7945

You will get all 6 bonuses, not just the last 3 so your overall benefit will be +165 Toughness +50 Vitality and Gain Health Regeneration.

This sentence is false.

Posted by: GummiBear.2756

GummiBear.2756

what biofringe said, and that does in fact makes crest useless, in fact havent seen a single crest i think go for more than 1c over vendor price in market

Posted by: Rainu.6871

Rainu.6871

what biofringe said, and that does in fact makes crest useless, in fact havent seen a single crest i think go for more than 1c over vendor price in market

Crest of the soldier (rare) sells very well actually, I think it’s between 23 and 32 silver these days and it had a peak of over 40 silver in December. Some crests and orbs are actually decent budget alternatives to runes if you’re only after stats and not the specials runes give.

Posted by: Aye.8392

Aye.8392

What? How does that make a crest useless? You’re increasing 3 stats a total of 288 pts instead of 2 stats for 215 pts. Personally I prefer having an extra 73 attribute points affecting every weapon skill, utility and auto attack to health regeneration. But you’re right about one thing: the crests are very inexpensive when compared to superior runes of the dolyak.

www.AlchemyIncorporated.net
Sorrows Furnace

Posted by: Gary.7105

Gary.7105

Are level 60 runes the highest level there are? That is the highest I saw on the TP.

Posted by: GummiBear.2756

GummiBear.2756

What? How does that make a crest useless? You’re increasing 3 stats a total of 288 pts instead of 2 stats for 215 pts. Personally I prefer having an extra 73 attribute points affecting every weapon skill, utility and auto attack to health regeneration. But you’re right about one thing: the crests are very inexpensive when compared to superior runes of the dolyak.

only 260 stats (20/14/14*5)
and dolyak the msot defensive rune in the game, other runes give thing like extra conidtion duration (something that cant be found on crests at all), or higher critical damage (neither on any crest), a random boon when you use a healing skill, boons duration, lifesteal if you are hit or summoing various things when you are hit, etc etc etc, the pure stats is only a little higher on crest conpared to a full runeset, where the runeset can provide amazing utitity, and im pretty sure there is a rune out there tath supplement about every single build you can make somewhere. Do you really not think there is a reason crest are so cheap? cause they are useless

@gary yes lvl 60 is higest runes

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I’m surprised to hear you say it is all 6 bonuses added. I test swapped gear at one point (with a different rune set, not the example in this thread) and saw my stat go up only by the 5-rune amount, not by 1, 3, and 5 added together. I don’t claim rigorous testing, however, so I may have done something wrong.

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

Dolyak is cheaper than Runes of Divinity which give a total of 60 to all stats (including secondary stats) and 12% critical damage (highest achieve-able through runes/crests).

Additionally, the Dolyak 6th effect is only 30 hp/sec due to a bug.