Explain PvP options to a new player ?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Cryptor.9560

Cryptor.9560

All the PvP options confuse the crap outta me.

There is Arenas, custom arenas, then I can queue for PvP, World PvP appears to have half a dozen options on the menu. Then there is something about mists.

I thought everyone in PvP is lvled to 80 and gets gear options but I was able to just queue and join at my lvl.

Uhhh, I don’t get any of this. Can someone explain to me what is going on or at least point me to where I can read up on it (in plain english).

Guild=Sinister Savant [SinS] -|- Server=Yaks Bend -|- Account=Cryptor.9560

Posted by: Falunel.7645

Falunel.7645

PvP in GW2 is divided into two fields: sPvP and WvW.

sPvP is the arena form of GW2’s PvP, and encompasses tournament arenas, standard/hotjoin arenas, and custom arenas. In sPvP, two small teams of players compete against each other to capture and hold control points, with control of each point awarding score points- the team that is first to reach 500 points or has the highest score when time runs out is the victor.

Standard arenas are just like random game servers in a first-person shooter, with anyone being able to join and go as they please. These arenas tend to be disorganized due to the random nature of the groups. Tournament arenas are structured matches with premade groups and different rewards, and are usually more organized/serious than normal, open arenas. Custom arenas are arenas owned by players, with settings adjusted to their preferences- they may require passwords, may only feature one map, or other differences.

In sPvP, you are leveled to 80 and given the same level of gear as everyone else. You also have access to all of the class’s traits and skills, though you do not have access to racial skills. In addition, some sPvP versions of skills differ slightly from their PvE counterparts for balance purposes. You may join sPvP via the crossed-swords button in the menu in the upper-left corner- click it and select “Go to the Heart of the Mists.” After a tutorial stage (the first time you go there), you will be sent to the sPvP lobby.

The second form of PvP is World versus World. It involves week long battles between three entire servers, with the purpose of capturing structures such as castles, keeps, and supply camps. WvW is much more group-oriented and involves knowledge of how and where to build defensive/offensive siege, cutting off enemy supply lines while defending yours, and zerg (armies of 20+ players) warfare as well as smaller havoc group raids. Each server gains points for controlling structures, similar to sPvP, and the server with the highest score at the end of the week is the victor.

In WvW, you are scaled up to 80. However, you keep the gear, skills, and traits you have unlocked in PvE, putting you at a significant disadvantage against true 80s. To join WvW, click the tower button in the menu in the upper-left, click “Enter World vs. World,” and select the map you wish to play on. There are a number of maps in WvW- each server has their own Borderlands map which they defend from the other two servers, and there is a map called Eternal Battlegrounds, which is essentially a massive three-way equally split among the three servers. The final option, Obsidian Sanctum, brings you to a massive jumping puzzle that has open PvP and also features an open arena for guild battles.

Falunel – Sylvari Elementalist | Falche Graysong – Human Mesmer | Tarnished Coast
Ember Solace [SOL] – A guild welcoming of newbies and those at the margins.
New Player Outreach Thread

(edited by Falunel.7645)

Cryptor.9560

TY
What should I focus on, taking into consideration that I am interested with long term progression / achievements?

PS: I have been playing mmorpgs for over a decade and this is, literally, the first time I am happy about the official forum.

Posted by: NevirSayDie.6235

NevirSayDie.6235

TY
What should I focus on, taking into consideration that I am interested with long term progression / achievements?

PS: I have been playing mmorpgs for over a decade and this is, literally, the first time I am happy about the official forum.

This game has a pretty decent community sometimes when we’re not too busy arguing with each other

At the moment, WvW has more long-term progression and achievements (that’s the world pvp). However, you might find it very useful to spend some time playing structured PvP before you really get started, as it’s the best place to learn how to play and fight each profession (since everyone is level 80 there).

However, structured pvp is going to see big revamps to its awards system in the near future, according to the devs, so that could change.

Posted by: NornBearPig.9814

NornBearPig.9814

sPvP is more focused on the e-sport aspect, so all players begin maxed out stats for an even playing field. Progression there is mainly about increasing your rank on the ladder by winning matches. Also you win Glory which unlocks weapon skins. As far as actually improving your character and getting stronger, that is non-existant in sPvP. Anything that was accomplished in other parts of the game means very little there.

WvW has the long-haul achievements and traditional character progression (levels, gear, abilities, rank). It includes many progression elements from PvE – in fact it was intended so that moving from PvE -> WvW and back would be a seamless transition. So if you are looking for the long term goals that will benefit yourself and your guild, consider focusing on PvE/WvW.

However, the double edge sword of character progression is that you will be sh?t on until you are closer to level 80 and geared up. I would not recommend entering WvW until you are at least level 30+, even then you will be at a disadvantage. Stick to large groups until you are max level and fully geared. The best option imo is just to PvE until 80, it’s quicker and you will unlock more skills, earn more gold/karma, etc.

(edited by NornBearPig.9814)

Cryptor.9560

Ok, wow, you guys are super helpful, thank you!

One last question – Can you lvl solely by PvP ? I just love PvP in this game. I have been PvPing in Rift since that game came out, and this has really opened my eyes as to what good PvP is. I’d love to be able to just PvP and lvl that way.

Or am I better off questing ?

Posted by: ozmaniandevil.6805

ozmaniandevil.6805

Forgive me if I’m wrong, but I don’t think anything you do in PvP equates to PvE or WvW. And not sure if anyone mentioned it, but when you go to the mists for PvP you need to see the weapons and armor “merchants” to choose your gear, which is all free. You then go see another guy (can’t remember what he’s called) where you get an free amulet. So, you choose your stats for everything. They you go play. You can take as much time as needed to choose your stuff. There are also PvP “lockers” where you can store PvP achievement armors and weapons. Also a PvP “points” merchant where you can spend PvP specific rewards.

Isle of Janthir – Knights of the Rose (KoR)

Posted by: Adine.2184

Adine.2184

Ok, wow, you guys are super helpful, thank you!

One last question – Can you lvl solely by PvP ? I just love PvP in this game. I have been PvPing in Rift since that game came out, and this has really opened my eyes as to what good PvP is. I’d love to be able to just PvP and lvl that way.

Or am I better off questing ?

Technically you CAN level from 1-80 in WvW but you’re better off not as its slower to just level 1 way than it is to to mix it up . Besides if you ever want a legendary you’ll need map completion .

Posted by: Wolfheart.1938

Wolfheart.1938

I suggest someone saves that awesome post by Falunel and copy-pastes it when a newbie asks about PvP. It’s seriously well-written.

Nothing else to add, other posters answered your questions OP

“We have no first-person view because stupid people would lock into it”
“You can’t have more than 10 HS decks because that would confuse people”
“30 fps is more cinematic”