Extremely frustrated

Extremely frustrated

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Daddicus.6128

Daddicus.6128

For the first time in 7 years, I’m almost ready to quit playing Guild Wars (2). I’m in the Straits of Desolation, and there is simply no way to get through without a team. And, you can’t even sort your pack after you kill something, because the next one spawns 10 seconds later.

This is so !@#$ frustrating, I’m almost ready to quit completely. I never thought I would say it, but there are times when I hate Guild Wars. Every time I die I get perilously close to quitting completely.

Does anybody have any idea how to get TO the level 75 story quest? There are too many enemies no matter which way I go.

Extremely frustrated

Daddicus.6128

No comments, huh?

I was able to get through by following a team through the masses of undead. But, now I’m trying to do Estate of Decay, and it seems impossible. The boss heals and his minions respawn. How can I kill him? I’m down to only one undamaged armor piece left.

Devs: Why is this so darned hard?

Extremely frustrated

Daddicus.6128

This mission needs to be nerfed when there’s only one human present. Period.

Extremely frustrated

Posted by: tehKaiyu.8032

tehKaiyu.8032

What level are you? Do you have at least green gear? Spec some toughness and vitality if you cant manage it, it’s not too difficult.

Extremely frustrated

Posted by: wookalar.8952

wookalar.8952

I think people haven’t replied much cause they don’t really know what to say since its not as hard as you make it out to be.

As the previous commenter said, make sure your gear has at least 1 bonus to toughness or vitality and that the gear is your level (I’m assuming you’re the appropriate level for straits).

The next thing to note is that the Orr zones have more difficult (smarter debatable) mobs and a high density with a lot of CC. It will take you a few tries to get used to it. If you plan on running around skipping mobs, bring lots of condition removal, stability and stealth (for thief and mes).

That’s all I can think of, hopefully that’s a spring board for you to go from.

Nanuuk (80 Mes), Guardian Nuuk (80 Guard),
Warrior Nuuk (80 War)
[ALS], Anvil Rock

Extremely frustrated

Posted by: LithePanther.5027

LithePanther.5027

There are no comments because of your woeful lack of information.

What level are you? profession? build/spec? weapon set? utilities? gear level and color?

Straits is easy. With careful movement you can kill 1 mob at a time, at most 2, pretty easy. Just watch out for purifiers – they’re the ones that pull you.

80 Guardian. 80 Warrior. 80 Thief. 80 Engineer. 80 Necromancer. 80 Ranger.

Extremely frustrated

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

There are no comments because of your woeful lack of information.

What level are you? profession? build/spec? weapon set? utilities? gear level and color?

Straits is easy. With careful movement you can kill 1 mob at a time, at most 2, pretty easy. Just watch out for purifiers – they’re the ones that pull you.

Are they called “purifiers” in Straits? It’s been long enough since I went there I don;t remember. In Cursed and Malchors’ they are called Putrifiers. Still, same thing. I tend to call them Pulltrifiers. >.>

Extremely frustrated

Posted by: RedDeath.2980

RedDeath.2980

With the boss issue I might be able to help you- be sure you nuke any of the mobs going towards the boss as they carry something he’ll eat to heal. Besides that I would just focus upon having higher gear and weapons. Estate I remember it took me 1 or 2 corpse runs to finally down it but it is defiantly do-able.

-If you’re on Gates of Madness whisper me I can probably give u some quick assistance.

Extremely frustrated

Posted by: Drevin.6534

Drevin.6534

I remember that boss encounter. A bit frustrating, but doable. Don’t’ trust me 100% on this, since the fight was a bit hectic for me, but this is what I did and what I think happens. The boss has 2 stages. In stage one he is surrounded by a lot of minions patrolling around him, and has a powerful earth type hit. Stay around a pillar and pull the minions with ranged attacks and kill them behind the pillar one by one. Once they’re dead, stage 2 begins and all the NPC’s in your party are auto rezzed. Now you can nuke the boss for a while. Then, after a while, stage 1 begins again. Rinse and repeat until the boss is dead. As I said don’t count on this 100%, but this is how I think my fight went. Maybe someone else here can confirm or disconfirm this.

Extremely frustrated

Posted by: zathras.7698

zathras.7698

Yeah, once in my life, I don’t choose the wimpy carebear peacenik storyline, and immediately I’m stuck. :-P

@Daddicus, I am in the same situation. I followed an NPCs convoy event to get close to the location (if I remember correctly), and also followed some random other players for parts of the trip. That means I didn’t go there straight, I went with the flow of opportunity (which I don’t mind), but I also had to give up to repair my armor…

I’m level 80 already, and just left the personal story incomplete at this point.

@Drevin: Thanks for the hints. I tried to kill the minions but every second one went through. My main issue was that I couldn’t find a weapon/tactic fast enough that had any lasting effect on these NPCs.

I’ll get some high-level gear, go back there, and kick the Mouth’s… … respective kickable bodypart. >:-|

PS: If several players do this instance together, does it count only for the leader?

Extremely frustrated

Daddicus.6128

I’m level 80 with level 80 armor. However, I crafted it myself, and I’m only at 350 tailor, so it isn’t “max” (whatever that is). I was using both an apple and a wrench buff.

Neither Straits nor Estate is “easy”. For those who call Straits easy, please explain how it can be easy when you are aggroed by no less than 25 enemies, 2 of whom are veterans and 1 is a champion. Further, if you defeat one, it’s less than a minute before he returns, so it is not possible to pull and kill (someone will be in your pulling location before you get back).

PERHAPS if you could be level 80, but you are downleveled to 74, which is the same as the hoards attacking you.

(Specific location is between Crippled Bridges and Hunter’s Table. However, I tried going around several different ways, and found no path that didn’t include automatically aggroing more than one at a time.)

Regarding Estate, it helped a bit to use avoidance techniques. But, if a mission kills solo characters 6 times before they make it through, it’s too hard. Using the pillars as cover only works when you are directly behind the center. Any other position and you get hit.

Further, you can’t easily aggro the guys circling the boss. The only reliable way was to throw a rock at them. But, that takes a second, plus time to run to within range, and by that time you’ve been knocked down and conditioned into obvlivion.

And then you somehow manage to kill all of his circling defenders, and lo and behold they pop right back up again, and you have to do it all over again.

So, I’ll stand by my statements that they need to be nerfed. Perhaps it is easy to experts like yourselves, but to a normal guy just trying to get through the story, it’s NOT easy. (or, perhaps my class worked against me here).

Extremely frustrated

Daddicus.6128

Zathras, I’m not sure on that question. Since I’ve already got it now, I can’t answer. However, I will go with you to help you through it, if we can meet up and coordinate things.

Extremely frustrated

zathras.7698

Daddicus, sorry, only saw this now, hope you’re still there tomorrow.

Extremely frustrated

Posted by: Arkvan.3561

Arkvan.3561

I’ve just been informed every area in Orr is intended to be done as a group, I.E., with 2-3-4 people. Not alone. I suppose this explains why we’re failing so horribly.

No one hears you.

Extremely frustrated

Posted by: minbariguy.7504

minbariguy.7504

I’ve just been informed every area in Orr is intended to be done as a group, I.E., with 2-3-4 people. Not alone. I suppose this explains why we’re failing so horribly.

Informed by whom? Was it an official game representative? Just curious. If this is true, it would certainly explain a lot, lol.

Extremely frustrated

Arkvan.3561

No one hears you.

Extremely frustrated

Posted by: Jam.4521

Jam.4521

One way of getting through is to simply run, thats how I did it, there are plenty of speed buffs and just make sure you have some condition removal for the cripples/KD’s. Its really pretty easy to get around if you are built for speed….

BOOM

Extremely frustrated

Posted by: Shooopa.5632

Shooopa.5632

People who think this is just a matter of having group, it’s not. A group doesn’t prevent enemies from respawning right away. Is simple logic so hard for some of you people to grasp?

Groups prevent you from getting overwhelmed, but they do NOT prevent enemies from coming back quickly after they’ve been killed. The game is spawning in new enemies way too quickly. THAT is a game problem not player.

User will be infracted for this post.

Extremely frustrated

Arkvan.3561

Hey, I’m just the messenger. By the way, leveling is nice, easy, and controllable again in Frostgorge Sound. I’d advice just packing your bags and getting to 80 nice and relaxed.

Shoopa; Really, I’m just relaying the message. But if people feel like it should be done as a group, then who am I to stop ‘em from thinking like that? Besides, I’ll take not dying and actually leveling over dying all the time.

But again; be your own judge. You seem to be good at it.

No one hears you.

Extremely frustrated

Posted by: Shooopa.5632

Shooopa.5632

It always amazes me how arrogant and stupid you “Just learn to group! All problems solved!” posters are.

I just explained why it’s not an issue with having or not having a group. Ask someone else who understands English to read it to you if you can’t.

User will be infracted for this post.

Extremely frustrated

Arkvan.3561

So go alone. I don’t really see the problem. We get the point, you know…

No one hears you.

Extremely frustrated

zathras.7698

Non-solo makes sense because then one (or two) can interrupt the healing minions, while the other one (or two) hides behind the pillar and deals with the weakened big dude more easily.
I’m just curious whether it will register the story completion for all members of the group — because that would surely “increase team spirit”.

Page http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Personal_story says

“Other players can help with another player’s story but are not able to make choices which affect the outcome, though they can choose to accept the outcome as their own.1 The story instances scale with the number of players participating.23

Let’s do this. :-| I can’t do it today (Monday) though, Tuesday maybe. Hope someone will still be around.

Extremely frustrated

Posted by: akamon.2769

akamon.2769

i’m not there yet, but i can imagine how some of these personal stories can be difficult. looking to finish up soon – at level 72 story now. and with regards to grouping, people don’t say it solves EVERYTHING, but for more reasons than one (ha), it does make things easier to a certain extent and more mangeable. at least you can be resed if you’re down and no mobs to kill to rally… no one said grouping makes mobs faceroll worthy, plus tie game learns to scale. even then though, having more i have felt is always better (unless if they down / die more than you do and you die while trying to res them…. anyways…)

and don’t think this was responded to, but if it was, apologies. as far as i know, if you’ve already done a story (or it’s not part of your personal story), only the instance leader, the person who triggered it, will get the appropriate rewards. though, i merged stories witih my wife now, and no amtter who triggers it, as long as we’re in the right chain, we both get the awards and can choose to accept the quest progression or not. if you don’t, then you just have to do it again.

Akaimon | Jolly Good Guardian
Akaigi | Warrior Made of Wood
[CDS] – Sanctum of Rall

Extremely frustrated

Posted by: Sojourner.9310

Sojourner.9310

Sneak across at Crippled Bridges, its toward the northern section of the map and can be found if you simply swim along the shoreline of the Orrian side. I got across when nearly every single way point was contested and NO events were even spawning to give players a shot at grouping and crossing (Dragonbrand servers aren’t the best for group tasking anyways IMHO). There isn’t a gate to impede your progress, just use some simple creative maneuvering and distractions and you can run right into the encampment across the straights that stays uncontested giving you a backdoor access place to spawn and progress forward on your campaign.

I did this run as a turret based level 70 Engineer build with NO speed augmentations or buffs of any kind. Just turret tossed distractions

Extremely frustrated

Posted by: cranked.3812

cranked.3812

Sneak across at Crippled Bridges, its toward the northern section of the map and can be found if you simply swim along the shoreline of the Orrian side. I got across when nearly every single way point was contested and NO events were even spawning to give players a shot at grouping and crossing (Dragonbrand servers aren’t the best for group tasking anyways IMHO). There isn’t a gate to impede your progress, just use some simple creative maneuvering and distractions and you can run right into the encampment across the straights that stays uncontested giving you a backdoor access place to spawn and progress forward on your campaign.

I did this run as a turret based level 70 Engineer build with NO speed augmentations or buffs of any kind. Just turret tossed distractions

How did you even manage to find a thread from 10 months ago and then not notice it was from that long ago?

Extremely frustrated

Posted by: Quarktastic.1027

Quarktastic.1027

How did you even manage to find a thread from 10 months ago and then not notice it was from that long ago?

’sokay. I did the same thing just now.

Those armadillos would be a lot cooler if they looked more like real armadillos. mmm armadillos
-BnooMaGoo.5690

Extremely frustrated

Posted by: bullettohead.9715

bullettohead.9715

Funny. I was doing Straights within the first week of release, when hardly anybody else was around.

Somehow, magically, without any guides or help, I managed to 100% it.

I wonder how I did that, but you can’t…

Extremely frustrated

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I can solo Orr and I think most people can. It involves maybe changing your skill use, and perhaps your runes/sigils and armor.

The same thing sorta happened in Guild Wars 1, the first time you played through. Each new area you got to required you to up your game. This is no different. Maybe you don’t remember, OP, but I do.

And you learned and got better. There is NO profession in this game you can’t solo Orr on. Absolutely none.

You might however have to rethink how you do things.

Anyway, if you join a guild and make some friends, you can probably get someone to go along with you.