Feathered Wings Query

Feathered Wings Query

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: AreeSoothsayer.1068

AreeSoothsayer.1068

Anyone know why the things are so… floppy?

I messed with feathers as a kid and they never did what these do.

Feathered Wings Query

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

When the black wings first came out they were paper mache stiff. In an update they gained their current flowy physics.

Just think of them as crafted costumes rather than articulated wings. It helps with the suspension of disbelief

Feathered Wings Query

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

They are actually fluffy blankets.

Feathered Wings Query

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Bird wings are not just feathers, there’s bone and muscle under there too (they’re basically arms with the feathers attached all along). Also the whole point of them is to ‘catch’ the air and create lift, not to move with it. So they’re actually pretty stiff and don’t move around much.

As Donari said when the black wings (the first set to be released) first came out they were like that. But people didn’t like it, they expected them to move as you ran around. So they changed them to work the way they do now.

To my mind it’s actually more realistic, if you take the view that these are costume wings and not supposed to be part of our characters anatomy. They move like there’s a bar or wire along the top and all the feathers are hanging from it. (Although I’ve also owned costume wings which were a sheet of card with feathers glued to it which moved like the original version in-game but those were much cheaper and not very well constructed.)

There’s also the bat wings, which are a whole separate thing. Firstly bat wings are ‘hands’, not arms with the wing itself made of flaps of skin spread between the fingers. (Some people like to say this means bats fly through the power of jazz hands.) And in the backpack they’re relaxed, half folded, so the membrane is loose and it makes sense for it to move around.

Also it’s hard to tell because our characters move so much but I’m pretty sure the fingers ‘flex’ periodically – moving independently of your character. But they are a Halloween item so I suppose a bit of creepy movement is to be expected.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Feathered Wings Query

Posted by: AreeSoothsayer.1068

AreeSoothsayer.1068

Well I for one was interested in the wings until I saw them live… just no.

Feathered Wings Query

Posted by: DeanBB.4268

DeanBB.4268

I can only stand to use any of the wings on an asura. They’re just too big and obscuring otherwise. Now as a glider, I think they’re terrific.

Too bad they didn’t just release a white set that could be dyed.