Few questions from a new player

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: syn.9756

syn.9756

Hello everyone, I bought this game at launch but never made it past lvl5. I was unable to game for a while due to school and work. I’m a former WoW player and left due to not being able to meet raid times. So my first question::

Is there raid equivalents in this game that most guilds require you to be on for?

Or is it more of a relaxed since where you can find a group to run with no matter how much you play or when?

I’ve done bit of research and guide watching on YouTube of warriors and elementalist. Have to say elementalist looks exciting but complicated at the sametime. So my question to you guys and gals is what class you recommend?
I’m not a flavor of the month person, I enjoy fighting more than one enemy at once and basically looking for a profession that will allow me to learn the game and be wanted in pvp/wvw and pve. Strongly interested in pvp/wvw. I know I’ve states warrior and elementalist but I’m open to try anything.

Thank you for your time in reading and your responses if you choose to leave one, have a good day:)

syn.9756

Forgot to mention that I don’t know how traits, wvw, pvp or even higher lvl pve works in this game. As I stated I’ve only made it to lvl5 lol

Posted by: Sylent.3165

Sylent.3165

The new leveling system you unlock things more slowly making it helpful for new players.

This game is not a traditional mmo. Once you hit level 80 is not….log in, run same 5 dungeons daily, log off repeat til tomorrow for the best new gear coming out every 3 months.

Instead at 80 you get the best armor pretty cheap. Then just play. You do dungeons only if you wish to for new armor skins. Or weapon skills. There is also world bosses in zones people complete for items for ascended and legendary gear. These bosses take 5 to 10 minutes and spawn every couple hours.

Posted by: Weerus.3701

Weerus.3701

I will tell you my point of view.
Elementalist is one of best classes but at same time its most handicaped and requires time to learn, wich is worth it at the end. On other hand warrior is very good and not so hard. You saied “I’m not a flavor of the month person”. So my suggestion is go with the class/race you like the most (visually and gameplay).

Also, if you are pvp/wvw person, I recommend you start with PvE since you unlock skills/traits/equipment and other things slowly. Now with overhauled lvling system they made it even easyer for new players to learn content piece by piece.

Imho you will be max lvl (80) in 1 or 2 months, if you are not active player. I made lvl 40 elementalist in 1 week playing casual with friend).
Besides lvling in this game is very easy as it does not slow down on higher lvls.

I play on Gandara, you can add me and I will gladly help you

syn.9756

Thank you weerus and sylent for the speedy replies. A lot of useful information to read through. Alright Sylent you said the dungeons are optional, so I’m guessing you gain gear through karma exchange? Was trying to figure out what karma was before and I recently read where someone said there were karma vendors, is this the best gear you are talking about? Also when you say unlock skins through dungeons, would that be the same as transmog in WoW? Not sure if you are aware of that aspect of he game.

Weerus I have yet to try an elementalist but I like the aspect of the 4 attunements. I’ve only ever played a warrior in this game. How far do you recommend going before being effective in pvp? All the way to 80? Tbh I’m not sure how to add people or even what server I play on. As well as if I can switch. But if you tell me how Id appreciate the help

Sylent.3165

Level 80 gear can be crafted, bought through the trading post, or from karma. Armor from dungeons is also level 80 gear. So you can do that to. We use transmutation charges to just change appearance.

It’s a lot different from wow the games not about gear it’s about skill and team work. It’s a lot of pvp and wvw at level 80. After level 80 gear there us legendary armor and weapons though. They are barely better in stats just more of an accomplishment type item

Sylent.3165

Also pvp. Heart of the mists you become level 80 right away with the best weapon and accessories to choose from. Wvw recommended level is 40 for traits.

Elementelist is one of the harder classes to be good with in the game. Warrior is the easiest. But you really need something to fit your play style. If your in my server isles of janitor I’d be more then happy to talk in game and help ya out with things

syn.9756

Alright how do I change servers? I know it’s been two years since I played on whatever server I am on now, so I don’t mind switching to meet up with someone that is trying to help me and maybe we can game together a lot. Umm I know I won’t be on for a few days but I’m going to check out some more videos and read up on some wiki stuff so hopefully I’ll be ready to start a toon. Thank you again for offering to help. Just pm me how to switch and add you.

Sylent.3165

I think you switch at the character select screen. Typically in week days after 6 pm eastern. On and off throughout weekends. In game name is white dragon

Sylent.3165

I take that back account name is sylentslayer characters name is white dragon

Posted by: Resubian.5823

Resubian.5823

I would recommend against starting with warrior, because it gets extremely boring after a while. I ended up deleting my warrior to make a necro. If you’re set on a warrior-type class, I would suggest guardian.

Posted by: Gilosean.3805

Gilosean.3805

Alright how do I change servers? I know it’s been two years since I played on whatever server I am on now, so I don’t mind switching to meet up with someone that is trying to help me and maybe we can game together a lot. Umm I know I won’t be on for a few days but I’m going to check out some more videos and read up on some wiki stuff so hopefully I’ll be ready to start a toon. Thank you again for offering to help. Just pm me how to switch and add you.

There’s no need to switch servers. You can guest to any server, and if you are on a map that is part of the megaserver you will meet up with people from all servers. Finding a good guild is probably the best way to meet people in-game. You can check out the guild recruitment forum, or…

A good new player guild is Operation Union / Legion of Honor (full disclosure: I’ve been in LoH since nearly the beginning). We try to provide a good, casual introduction to the game for new players and also have guild missions, etc for the more hardcore. The guild site is http://operationunion.enjin.com/

Posted by: Weerus.3701

Weerus.3701

If you like what you see with elementalist, go for it. I admit for now this class is considered hard by me, but only because I just started playing it. If you decite to master it there is really only 1 thing to do here – learn rotations. I can’t really explain it so I’ll just paste a little guide here (I forgot where I copy that from).

Scepter/Dagger (my favourite combo atm :P ):
Dragon’s Tooth (Fire 2) → Ring of Fire (Fire 4) under your Dragon’s Tooth → Phoenix (Fire 3) → Dodge Roll and swap to Earth Attunement as you do so to perform a blast finisher in your Fire Field → Arcane Wave to perform a blast finisher in your Fire Field → Earthquake (Earth 4) to do a blast finisher in your Fire Field → Churning Earth (Earth 5) to do a blast finisher in your Fire Field.
That’s 18 stacks of Might! Combine with Fire XI (Persisting Flames) and that’s also 1 minute of Fury!

I think you see now what I mean. Sure it looks confusing, but when you learn to cycle trough skills on weapon set you wan’t to use, thats pretty much it.

I’d at least consider playing PvE till lvl 40 or 45. That way you get to know most of skills. When you feel confortable with your skill knowledge, go to PvP area and check traits and their bonuses, so you can make your unique ele

Btw, when and if you lvl up to 80, just buy exotic gear from trading post. Karma shops and dungeon shops are used for weapon and armor skins, I would not recommend buying anything else for Karma (ofcourse there are recipes for crafting, but I dont want to go in that much of details now).
Till lvl 80 I’d suggest you run full berserker gear (power/precision/ferocity), since PvE is fairy easy and berserker makes most dps – except dungeons! Story mode is easy, but paths aren’t and you should consider doing them after you hit 80 ( you would want to farm dungeons for skins). If you would see yourself die often doing paths, I’d suggest you not to using full berserker gear, since you cant use all your dps when dead tho you shouldnt have problems when you get used to your ele.

There is literaly too much info and I really can’t explain it all here xD
I added you ingame, so just feel free to ask anything