Few questions on upgrade components on gears

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Arikyali.5804

Arikyali.5804

How do the percentages on the runes and sigil add up on gear? For example let’s say I crafted exalted armor, giving the entire set with 18% magic find. Then I add in a Superior Rune of the Traveler to each piece. What % of magic find do I have? Are they all added up (18% + 25% = 43%)? Or do the superior runes count each magic find stat used (10%15%25%=50%) and then added to the armor (50%+18%=68%)? Or are the calculated in a different way? (18% + (25% of 18% = 4.5%) = 22.5%)

Same question for jewelry: with an Opal Orichalcum Ring of the Explorer, it gives +3% magic find, and the opal jewel, +4% magic find. Is that just 7% magic find total?

I also read somewhere that it was worth getting over 100% magic find to increase changes of rare loot…any truth to that, or just rumor?

Posted by: Maximus Delion.8719

Maximus Delion.8719

Magic Find percentages from equipment (and other sources) are added together. So 10% + 20% = 30%.

However, keep in mind that 100% Magic Find does not mean you’ll get something 100% of the time. From the GW2 wiki page on Magic Find:

“Everytime you kill a monster you roll on a number of tables, inside these tables are different rarity categories. Magic find increases the chances you will get higher categories. For example if there is a 1 in 10 category, and you have 200% magic find you will have 3/10 chances to get that category. This improves not just the rarity of the items you get but can also improve your chances at getting trophies and rare crafting materials like lodestones.”

With that in mind, yes it does make sense to increase your Magic Find over 100% if you want to maximize your loot from monster kills. But also keep in mind:

“Magic find is applied when a foe dies; it does not apply to loot from chests, items created in the Mystic Forge, or random drops from gathering. "

Arikyali.5804

The ‘loot from chest’ doesn’t include the little wooden chests from monsters, right?

and for something like the Superior Runes, is it only the last stat given, (+25% ) or are all magic stats added, totaling +50%?

Posted by: sostronk.8167

sostronk.8167

The ‘loot from chest’ doesn’t include the little wooden chests from monsters, right?

and for something like the Superior Runes, is it only the last stat given, (+25% ) or are all magic stats added, totaling +50%?

Its all the magic stats on runes added together with any others you have (not just the highest stat). Wooden chests from monsters are applied the magic find bonus.

Just to point out, I have a char I run with over 200% magic find and don’t see a difference. I think running a damage build is better in the long run than magic find as it speeds up how quickly you kill the monsters. MF is very controversial.

Arikyali.5804

Just to point out, I have a char I run with over 200% magic find and don’t see a difference. I think running a damage build is better in the long run than magic find as it speeds up how quickly you kill the monsters. MF is very controversial.

Is that so? Hm..how much of a difference would you say MF makes then?

Posted by: Dasorine.1964

Dasorine.1964

MF is not an immediate gain, over time it will give that much more loot (if you have 200% MF you will over time get 200% more rarer loot but not immediately)

Unless you farm lots your most likely NOT going to see a noticeable difference (though there will still be a slight difference)

Posted by: sostronk.8167

sostronk.8167

Is that so? Hm..how much of a difference would you say MF makes then?

Some days I farm with my brother. We can go for a good 5 hours at a time, sometimes more. Same hits on all mobs and on any given farming session either of us could end up with better drops, despite me having over 200% MF whilst he has no magic find. We often compare exact drops and they are almost always the same ikittenhour period. I’ll be dropping the magic find armor eventually when I have the mats and be building a damage build for farming. I believe the damage increase will actually be of more benefit by speeding up how many kills you can get in a given timeframe than the MF chance to drop something rarer will.