Figuring out the Trading Post

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Bluedot.4092

Bluedot.4092

I’m still pretty new to Guild Wars 2, I’m trying to figure out what kind of items I should be putting up for sale? I normally just grind through events and the storyline while gathering resources from the world. Should I be selling some greens and blue’s and the mats I don’t know.

The Original Bluedot!

Posted by: Bluedot.4092

Bluedot.4092

I don’t use not I don’t know sorry.

The Original Bluedot!

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

As long as you have time to check prices item by item, then you can decide item by item. I assume you don’t want the item as an upgrade or skin for your main or alts. Right click it, pick Sell on Trading Post, and eyeball the expected profit. Take 10% of that profit off. If it’s still over the vendor price, toss it on the TP. Unless you need mats for crafting, of course, or are trying to get a salvage achieve.

I’m not a heavy TP user myself. I have guildmates with a ton of gold because they know how to do Orr runs and they actually sell the mats they gather, but I am too much a packrat to sell stuff until I am -sure- I don’t need it myself. Also I don’t feel like this game needs me to have a lot of gold to keep on doing fun stuff and enjoying myself, so the TP becomes more useful for clearing bag space when I can’t get to a vendor.

Posted by: Recycle.5493

Recycle.5493

Whites: salvage
Blues: vendor

Greens: check price on trading post, if profit isn’t higher than vendor price, vendor also

Rares: check price of sigil/rune on them, check ectoplasm price, if sigil/rune prices are not higher than items themselves and item is cheaper than ecto, sell ones that are below 68, salvage ones that are 68 and above with master kit for ecto. If price of sigil/rune is higher than item, salvage with BL kit for the sigil/rune, if the item is more expensive than ecto, sell it directly.

Exotics: Same as above.

Posted by: rozcinana.7249

rozcinana.7249

Everyone above covered it well. Remember to subtract the listing fee from projected profit when you are looking at the TP. In my experience the last couple of months, the majority of blues and greens won’t get you more money on the TP but low level white armor and some higher level white weapons tend to sell for more than the vendor price so always make sure to check those on the TP before you decide to salvage them or sell to vendor. All that said, I still recommend to quickly scan through your inventory on the TP sell screen before going to the vendor because you never know what’s worth something.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

First, sell stuff that you aren’t interested in using. :p

Be aware that by selling on the TP, it costs 5% (1c minimum) to post, non refundable, and the TP takes 10% upon sale. So don’t sell anything on the TP unless you can sell it for 20% more (calculator free rule of thumb) than the vendor price. If a vendor will buy it for 50c then you would have to sell it for roughly 60c to break even or make a very small profit (60c minus 3c to post, minus 6c when it sells so you will get 51c).

Not to reiterate what others have said.

Common basic item quality, which is white, have such a low price that it’s usually better to use a salvage pack on them and sell the materials that you’ll get. Any quality salvage pack will do for whites, even crude.

Fine items which are blue will still only salvage into basic materials however the intact item is generally worth more than the materials you will get by salvaging them. But they aren’t popular on the TP so it’s best to simply sell them to a vendor.

Masterwork items, green, are a mix bag and you need to do a little research but others have gone into how to do that. If you do decide to salvage them, use the best quality salvage pack you can afford, same goes with rares and exotics.

Rares and exotics, well depending on their popularity can sell well on the TP otherwise salvage them.

As for the crafting materials you get dropped on you while playing or salvaging (note there’s a button on the inventory screen, upper right that allows you to dump crafting supplies directly to the bank no matter where you are which helps keep inventory under control), if you don’t craft then dump them on the market. The vast majority of them will sell for more than 20% above than vendor price. There are a few exceptions (Silk Scrap comes to mind) but usually it’s worth putting them up on the TP. Plus it supplies those players who are crafting a ready source of materials other than farming for them.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

(edited by Behellagh.1468)

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

It’s probably not the best way to do it but my method for sorting my inventory is:
1) Deposit all collectables
2) Open any bags, salvage any salvage items
3) Deposit again
4) Check for anything I can use and equip it or shift it to the bottom bag (if it’s for another character)
5) Open the trading post, click sell and sell anything where the offered price (minus fee) is higher than or equal to the vendor price
6) Salvage any remaining whites
7) Sell everything else to a merchant.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”