First MMO Experience..any tips?!

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: LDCSMB.8754

LDCSMB.8754

As the title suggests, it is my first MMO experience and I am looking for any starter tips whatsoever?

Should I tyr and build a community on here or play a bit on my own first etc etc?

Thanks!!!

LDC SMB

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Read the stickies at the top of this board.

Don’t stand in red circles.

Learn to dodge and move when attacking.

Just about everything you do will give you XP.

This game is very co-op based in PvE. Feel free to jump in and help other players at any time, no penalty to them for helping them.

Have fun.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

In some ways you’re probably at an advantage with it being your first MMO because you know you’re doing something new and will be more likely to pay attention to how things work. A lot of people who struggle with this game are ones who try to treat it just like another game they’ve played and ignore any differences.

As far as community goes I think it’s up to you. Personally I find it easier to take my time working things out for myself than have someone show me how to do it so I preferred to play alone when I first started, but other people would much rather have someone show them the ropes.

Whatever you prefer I do recommend joining a guild early on though. I can virtually guarentee your server will have at least 1 guild dedicated to helping new players but most general purpose guilds will be happy to answer questions and help you out as needed. Plus it gives you someone to chat to while playing.

You can also ask in Map chat in-game or here on the forum if you’re not sure of anything.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: WolfiKurisu.6894

WolfiKurisu.6894

I’d say just enjoy the game as it is, and forget, at least for now, the deeper systems in the game. That’s what I did anyway, and after about 10 days of playing it, I’m starting to polish off my knowledge of all the little aspects of the game.

This is just me, but personally I found it more fun to start off on my own than with friends. My friends wanted to pull me this way and that and tried to control my game experience. Just go off on your own, and learn to enjoy yourself =)

On the other hand, you might strive socially, so whatever makes you happy. Welcome to GW2, I’ve only had it for 10 days, but I can tell you you made a great choice

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

The best advice i would give you is the same for every MMO. This is not a Single player RPG. Sure you can play it like that, but if you truly want to try the experience of a MMO you need to play with other people. Do you have friend that play GW2? If yes try to play with them and join their guild if it looks like what you want to do. If no, still search for a guild. Here on the forum, somewhere else in the web or in-game. Use VoiP with the guild. If you stick to chat only you will never really be part of the ’’gang’’ in most guild with some exception. Usually people include people with them in the Voip first and if there is still place in their party they will ask in the guild chat. Participate, when people is talking about something you don’t know ask them what it is, etc. Playing alone, you will have fun for a good time, but eventually will run out of things to do. Some content are not suppose to be done solo, other need some knowledge/experience that is way more easy and fun to get with people helping you, other you will probably never heard of if you don’t talk to other people. With people to talk to you could make your experience last for several years and not only 6 months.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

Posted by: LDCSMB.8754

LDCSMB.8754

Wow these are some really good replies. The best forum I have been on thats for sure. I might have a wander by myself for a fair few hours….then get more involved in guilds and the MMO experience as a whole. Anything else?!

Posted by: Malchior.5042

Malchior.5042

Take lots of screenshots and enjoy the sheer beauty of this world and Arenanet’s art style!

Malchior Devenholm | Proud member of Zealots of Shiverpeak [ZoS] | Northern Shiverpeaks

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Random tip of questionable value:
Don’t immobilize the Megadestroyer in the middle of the lava.

Posted by: ghost.3208

ghost.3208

^ Thank you random citizen, your efforts will be remembered.

Gliradda – The Lil Death – Too Drunk to Aim
Guerreros de la Ultima Alianza [GDUA]
#TeamKiel #TeamPrecipice

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

A slightly more useful tip. If you pick up a Half Eaten weapon, sell it on the trading post which you can do by right clicking on it and selecting the ‘Sell on Trading Post’ option.

Also when you get to lv11 and you need to buy your first trait manual, go buy it from the TP instead. It’s a lot cheaper than buying from the trainer.

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

Some of this may be obvious, sorry:

• Pick one class and stick with it. If you’re stuck between two or three level a character to level 20 in each and then pick one.
  • Ascended trinkets are “unique” which means you can only equip one of each name (but you can buy as many as you want.) This means do NOT buy two “red rings of death” instead buy a “red ring of death” and a “Crystalline Band”
  • Don’t buy weapons / armor from vendors, buy them from the trading post. (press ‘O’)
  • Don’t sell weapons / armor to vendors unless you check the value on the trading post first
  • There’s a tax on selling items on the trading post. If the vendor price is 99 copper and the tp price is 1 silver, you are better off selling to the vendor.
  • Do not trade directly with someone you do not know.
  • Find a friendly guild that enjoys doing what you do.
  • Have fun.
Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

(edited by TooBz.3065)

Posted by: NornBearPig.9814

NornBearPig.9814

This is a social game. Make friends as you go, find a guild, crush your enemies together. Otherwise there are much better single-player RPGs you should play before ever considering an MMO if all you want is to solo.

(edited by NornBearPig.9814)

Posted by: Locuz.2651

Locuz.2651

Dont tunnel vision specific content. By experiencing a bit of everything content stays fresh and exciting for a longer period of time.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I’d say find a nice, helpful, friendly guild and join it. Not a competitive, speed running guild, but some guild that supports new players, and helps them out where they need it, and answers questions.

It can make your experience a whole lot better.