First time Playing, what class?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Meerkat.7613

Meerkat.7613

Q:

I’ve never played either of the Guild Wars and was about to start playing Guild Wars 2 but have no idea what class to start with. I was researching it and it seems that Guardian is best to start out with, any other classes I should try at the start?

Posted by: tom.7468

tom.7468

Since there is no holy trinity whatever you choose you’re not going to be useless but all the classes has its pros/cons guardian have some neat support skills but i suggest just pick one that fit you’re playstyle.

Posted by: Raven Paradox.1860

Raven Paradox.1860

Every class is unique. There is no best class in the game.

Guardians have a big support role, so if you ever decide to WvW don’t expect many drops.

You are also given 5 character slots. It’s best to use them.

Posted by: AwwGee.5628

AwwGee.5628

Maybe you can describe the playstyle and experience you’re looking at so we can better introduce one to you. Or a role. We don’t have a holy trinity but some classes undoubtedly perform better at some things than others.

Posted by: Curuniel.4830

Curuniel.4830

Yeah, to make a suggestion for you we’d need to know what kind of playstyle you’d like. What do you like doing lots of? Taking damage and not having to care? Dealing damage? Dodging and moving? Crowd control? Certain professions have strengths in certain areas.

Otherwise, really, just pick something you think is cool. Some professions take longer to learn than others, but whatever you pick, if you stick with it and play it intensively you will learn as you go, and get better with it.

Posted by: Desamos.1836

Desamos.1836

Id say if you like guns make a theif to use dual pistols, an engineer to use a pistol and a shield combo like captain America (or a rifle), or a warrior.who uses a rifle And a variety of other weapons. If you like pets and bows (Cant use guns), roll ranger. If your a first time magician fanatic id say play the mesmer or elementalist.to keep things interesting. I myself.play a ranger since thats the first class i played in gw 1.

Posted by: FateOmega.9601

FateOmega.9601

For pve, the easier classes to play with will be guardian (heavy) ranger ( medium) necro (light)

Posted by: Deified.7520

Deified.7520

Guardian is best if you’re new to MMOs. Easy, straight forward class that is godly in all areas.

If you’re looking for a challenge, here are the most challenging classes from most to least.
Engineer > Necromancer > Elementalist > Thiefs > Mesmer > Guardians > Rangers > Warriors.

I based that off of my usual APM when using these classes in spvp/tpvp

Posted by: Zonzai.2341

Zonzai.2341

I’m basing this off of my experience and the general sentiment of people in my guilds. Not everybody will agree.

Guardian
Strengths: PvE Solo, Dungeon Tanking, Bunker Builds, Good Mobility, Healing
Weaknesses: Lacks range
Difficulty: Moderate
Fun Factor: Medium

Elementalist
Strengths: AoE, Extreme Mobility, Bunker Builds, WvW, Healing, Great combo fields
Weaknesses: Solo PvE, Defense (generally speaking)
Difficulty: High
Fun Factor: Very High

Engineer
Strengths: Fun to play, Versatility, Great blast finishers
Weaknesses: Lacks strong builds, Weak meta game presence, Bugs
Difficulty: Very High
Fun Factor: Very High

Mesmer
Strengths: PvP, Great Burst, Strong CC, Teleport, Stealth
Weaknesses: Solo PvE
Difficulty: High

Necromancer
Strengths: Survivability, AoE, Great combo fields
Weaknesses: Difficult to Burst, Bugged Pet Pathfinding, Low Mobility
Difficulty: Medium
Fun Factor: Moderate

Ranger
Strengths: Solo PvE, Traps
Weaknesses: Bugged Pet Pathfinding, Weak meta usefulness
Fun Factor: Moderate

Thief
Strengths: PvP, Extreme Burst, Extreme Mobility, Stealth
Weaknesses: Punishes you for mistakes
Difficulty: Medium
Fun Factor: High

Warrior
Strengths: Solo PvE, Dungeon Tanking, Banners, Good Mobility
Weaknesses: Moderate PvP presence

The only two I would tell you to stay away from (for a main anyway) is Ranger and Engineer. Not because they are as bad as some people make them out to be but because they don’t really shine at doing anything in the meta. They can however be good enough to participate. Roll one as an alt.

(edited by Zonzai.2341)

Posted by: Gorwe.9672

Gorwe.9672

Engineer. DO IT!

Off topic: Why are Engineers always Unserpowered? In GW 2? Check! In WAR? Check! In LoL(Heimi)? Check!

But if there’s one thing they share amongst themselves, it’s the sheer amount of fun they provide. Rarely are there more fun classes than Engis…

Posted by: BioFringe.7945

BioFringe.7945

My only advice is to start with a character that can’t achieve perma speed buff. Otherwise, you’ll hate every other character you play.

This sentence is false.