Fix For Big FPS Drop MS Win 10 Update

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: CrusaderMichael.9245

CrusaderMichael.9245

If you have an Nvidia card in particular, and are noticing FPS massive hits constantly, read on, but read it all first:

I decided to write this in the main forum as a service to people who just have no clue.

You can google “win 10 anniversary update xbox dvr” to find reputable fix sites.

Microsoft’s stupid anniversary update for Win 10, is automatically creating and turning on, constantly, an Xbox DVR app.

What’s happening is instead of getting 60 FPS, I’ll drop to 19 FPS, in easily rendered places.

The simple 3 step fix, basically disables the Xbox app in Win 10 using Regedit (a program that is part of Windows 10 for editing the registry, you don’t have to download anything), stopping the DVR from messing with your video card.

Nvidia cards in particular.

It’s been fixed for a month on my computer but Windows 10 this morning decided to edit the stupid registry again to enable the Xbox app… forcing me to, yet again, disable it.

Blink of an eye, everything better.

So until they finally fix it forever, you have to do this (some of you) to get your frames back.

When this first happened I almost considered getting a new video card, until I searched the subject.

Hope it helps and ANET, you may have people turn from the game if this isn’t known to all. New guys will see the horrible FPS, and just never come back. All cuz of brainless MS updating

Posted by: Ubik.8315

Ubik.8315

I don’t own an Xbox so don’t have the Xbox app installed!

Something, something masterrace.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Mine doesn’t seem to be on. I’ve never logged in to it and set it up. It doesn’t start up if it’s never been activated does it?

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Well, that doesn’t sound very encouraging if I want to get Windows 10.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I don’t own an xbox either, but the anniversary pack installed it. (Heck, I don’t even have an account with MS — another example of Microsoft asking, “where do we want you to go from here?”)

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Just a flesh wound.3589

Just to be sure I went into settings and reset it. Maybe that will fix the lag issues that stupid update inflicted on me.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

if you got windows 10 yes you do have Xbox app installed and it is reinstalled when

updates happen every time . but they can be turned off in windows 10 fire wall settings

and app settings too

no new system upgrades coming

WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

far as win 10 goes tho . and depending on your video card and that video card has a app.and is from nvidia . with the gforce experience app . that can be a really big problem

the way to fix it is this A. make sure the Gforce experience app does not scan where you got your guild wars2 file at . and you have to do this every time the Gforce experience app is updated

B make sure if you got windows10 the xbox stuff is turned off . that will help you a lot
also make sure your video card app is not being affected by other video apps too as well

and also make sure you have rules set in windows firewall to let guildwars2 have access to the internet

as i noticed after i did all these things now i play with a 60fps or better depending on
where it is i am at and if i got my video card app on .:)

WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

also too if you really want guild wars2 to play well go to task manger and go to details

settings look for the guild wars2 name right click on it . and set it to above high if you are

able to and not playing on a lap top . as windows 10 tends to run guild wars 2 in only

normal mode resources need settings . setting it to high will make your desk top force

more power to the game and use most available resources it can give to your game

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Well, since I don’t particularly want it running XBox stuff when I’m not sure I’ve ever touched an XBox in my life, I went to turn this off.

Which meant first I had to merge my Skype account into my MS account, pick a gamer tag and avatar, and generally get started with an XBox account just so I could disable it … >< I will be sad if suddenly I have to sign in every time I want to start up my computer.

WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

Well, since I don’t particularly want it running XBox stuff when I’m not sure I’ve ever touched an XBox in my life, I went to turn this off.

Which meant first I had to merge my Skype account into my MS account, pick a gamer tag and avatar, and generally get started with an XBox account just so I could disable it … >< I will be sad if suddenly I have to sign in every time I want to start up my computer.

i hate to be the one to tell you this but be ready to be sad and disappointed . and this has been something done since

windows 7 i think windows 8 for sure you got to sign into a microsoft acount to log

into your computer and no there is no way around it at all. if there was i would found it

and i do not like mac so idk .

Posted by: Ubik.8315

Ubik.8315

windows 7 i think windows 8 for sure you got to sign into a microsoft acount to log

into your computer and no there is no way around it at all. if there was i would found it

You can still create local accounts instead of using a MS account.

WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

You can still create local accounts instead of using a MS account.

that might be possable but yet i do not think that will help at all in the cases of Xbox

being turned off kitten far the only way i ever found to turn it off is and was with my

ms accounts only which with windows 10 you need to have a ms acount ie: windows store and so forth

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

And this is why I’m happy to have declined the offer to upgrade to Win10 for free. Windows 7 works just fine for me.

Win10 sounds just horribad!

Just a flesh wound.3589

My computer was updated to Windows 10 without my permission. I logged on one day and it had a message telling me that it had been installed and switched over to Windows 10.

It’s running better right now. I’ll keep this thread in mind if the lag starts up again.

ANet may give it to you.

Donari.5237

Now I am mired in an attempt to change my boot up Windows name back to what it was and avoid having to use a password every time I turn on the computer. MS seems to be goofing up which email goes with my account, Admin options don’t let me reset the name despite the help page saying I should be able to, it’s a mess.

Deeply regretting following the OP’s advice.

edit: I did finally get it back to local sign in, albeit with a new password and apparently in 30 days some security changes will hit as to alternate emails I had to provide.

(edited by Donari.5237)

WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

Now I am mired in an attempt to change my boot up Windows name back to what it was and avoid having to use a password every time I turn on the computer. MS seems to be goofing up which email goes with my account, Admin options don’t let me reset the name despite the help page saying I should be able to, it’s a mess.

Deeply regretting following the OP’s advice.

edit: I did finally get it back to local sign in, albeit with a new password and apparently in 30 days some security changes will hit as to alternate emails I had to provide.

if i can ask do you have a Asus motherboard or different ??? as mine which is asus has the same boot up problem now with windows10

when i first made my comp this year and loaded win10 up i had no problems what so

ever and after the last update i got to go to my boot up screen every time. i turn on my

comp and make sure the hard drive loads up .and not the dvd rom .which is wired to me

and wait for if it not happened already that windows10 lets and makes you sign in with

a pin code you pic … yeah win 10 got problems but yet there is a few good things to it

maybe

Posted by: Charrbeque.8729

Charrbeque.8729

With the Xbox DVR thing turned on, I get a pop up at the bottom of the screen every time I bring up the GW2 launcher. It shows a keyboard command to start recording video or something. It doesn’t pop up when you turn the Xbox Game DVR thing off the proper way.

OP said:

……basically disables the Xbox app in Win 10 using Regedit

That’s your problem. When I installed Win10, the Game DVR feature of the Xbox app was on by default. Microsoft doesn’t like people using regedit to disable/remove core Win10 features or apps. If you do, it will be reenabled/reinstalled in a future Windows update. This is why the Xbox Game DVR keeps turning itself back on after you go through hoops to get rid of it.

As I pointed out, if you actually log into the app and turn it off the normal way, it should stay off. Unfortunately there just isn’t any way to completely remove the Xbox app without it messing up your OS or having it reinstalled by Microsoft.

Click Start button, scroll to the bottom, and launch the Xbox app. I logged in using my Hotmail account just fine (since Microsoft owns Hotmail). In the Xbox app, go to settings and click Game DVR at the top, then turn it off. Click General next to Game DVR and sign out, then close the app. I checked it today after seeing this thread, and the Xbox Game DVR was still turned off, and I’ve had it off since some time before the Win10 anniversary update.

Attachments:

There’s something charming about rangers.

(edited by Charrbeque.8729)

Posted by: CrusaderMichael.9245

CrusaderMichael.9245

1) “Don’t own an Xbox” guy, the app is still on your computer with Windows 10 sadly. Like someone said.

2) Sorry one of you had problems with this. Strange since all it does is turn off a DVR in the stupid app. I didn’t tell you to do anything that should have caused you login problems.

3) Yes you can turn off the DVR the way Charrbeque describes. I actually did it that way after changing the registry DVR. I did both. I didn’t say that way here because people claimed to have other problems once they actually created a username etc for the Xbox app and honestly the idea of me coming to the forum and telling you to create an Xbox account, sounded rather dumb in my head haha. I do suspect Charrbeque is correct though that new updates (maybe just sizable ones) from MS cause the registry to be reset, as I mentioned above having to turn it off again in registry, eventually. Hence why I created theXbox account and turned it off with the toggle.

Probably the most annoying and pathetic thing I’ve dealt with in computers in a LONG time…

Till yesterday magically Nvidia decided to FORCE me to login and create an account just to use my Geforce Experience. Which in turn added MORE DVR problems and mic icon etc added on top of the GW2 game screen.

I may not buy Nvidia next time because of this. Though sadly I’ll be stuck with MS Xbox trash on my operating system, cuz MS is the only real way to go for gaming

Donari.5237

I apologize if I sounded like I was blaming you. I should have known to back away when it wouldn’t let me turn off the app without doing a lot of account linking to enable the app so I could turn it off … my regret was more in going above and beyond your advice.

WAR, it isn’t the motherboard. The solution (found by lots of Googling) was to go into Settings via the win-key + R to type in … um .. I forget, but it was in the various web pages I found, a command that brings up a different panel for settings. Then I selected running from a local account. Took some more hoop jumping and email linking but I got it to behave.

Now I just have to see what the “security update” does in a month regarding the two emails I put in.

WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

WAR, it isn’t the motherboard. The solution (found by lots of Googling) was to go into Settings via the win-key + R to type in … um .. I forget, but it was in the various web pages I found, a command that brings up a different panel for settings. Then I selected running from a local account. Took some more hoop jumping and email linking but I got it to behave.

Now I just have to see what the “security update” does in a month regarding the two emails I put in.

ahh i see and for me it was as easy and changing the cables on my motherboard .and so

now i can boot my hard drive up first . sorry to hear you had that much of problem

trying to fix it .and hope it stays ok on the next up and no new changes again . but

will say at lest we learn something new