For a Noob (me)- Controller or Keyboard?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: one shot one kill.5734

one shot one kill.5734

The only mmo I have ever played on a computer was runescape, many years ago. The gameplay of runescape is much different from guild wars, and is not exactly like your typical mmo. You don’t have to use a million different buttons, you just point and click for virtually everything. Besides runscape, I am completely new to computer mmo’s and havent played them before. I watched reviews on guild wars 2 and out of all the mmo’s ive looked at, this seems to be the one I really want to get into. But heres my problem: I hate using a keyboard and mouse. Having to hold the mouse button down to look around and dealing with all these buttons drives me insane; ive played console games for 18 years and a controller feels much more natural too me. I even went as far as to buy pinnacle gamer profiler, and hook up my xbox one controller (using toddmd2 controller scheme) to my laptop to play like that. After playing for a few days, I have come to the conclusion that it is much better than a standard keyboard, but it just feels kind okittenard, specfically doing AoE attacks with a controller. It doesnt feel the same as how elder scrolls online for xbox one feels with a controller. Now my dilemma is this, and please be open minded to how I feel and my past with games: should I just keep getting used to this xbox controller, or should i buy a mouse with a bunch of extra buttons on it? I was looking at a logitech g600, which would fix half of the problem I have with using a keyboard and mouse right now (the fact i wouldnt have to use to many keyboard buttons). thanks, sorry for the long text.

Posted by: CMM.6712

CMM.6712

Paragraphs. I guess I am old school I use the arrow keys and click, it is what it is.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I use very few keys on the keyboard; lol, mostly just 1 and 6 (well, in combat, anyway). For me, it’s sooo much easier to move using the mouse.

I’d give the keyboard/mouse a try; you don’t have to use them in any special way, whatever works for you. Point and click works for a lot of the game.

Posted by: ekarat.1085

ekarat.1085

Keyboard/mouse kills my wrists pretty quickly, so I’ve been playing via keyboard.

Does GW2 support controllers?

I just did a search and found a thread that used a mod, but it looks like that mod created something like action camera mode before the official action camera existed.

If there is a legit way of playing GW2 with a controller, I would be interested to give it a try.

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

I guess I’m biased here as I built my first PC in 89’-90’ and haven’t touched a console, or controller, since. I’m mouse + keyboard all the way. However, I’m sure others do just fine with a controller.

Maybe I’m just an old dog that can’t be taught any new tricks.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

one shot one kill.5734

Yes there is a mod, I use pinnacle gamer profiler and go to their forums and there are a handful of guild wars 2 contoller templates there, the most popular being toddmd2’s.

I guess if I had to use a mouse I was hoping to find a way to not have to hold down the mouse button to rotate the camera. Also, the amount of buttons us just something I’m not used to. I feel like I have to look down at the keyboard every 2 seconds

ekarat.1085

Yes there is a mod, I use pinnacle gamer profiler and go to their forums and there are a handful of guild wars 2 contoller templates there, the most popular being toddmd2’s.

I guess if I had to use a mouse I was hoping to find a way to not have to hold down the mouse button to rotate the camera. Also, the amount of buttons us just something I’m not used to. I feel like I have to look down at the keyboard every 2 seconds

Action camera mode is the equivalent of automatically acting as if the mouse button were held down for the purpose of rotating the camera.

one shot one kill.5734

Action camera mode is the equivalent of automatically acting as if the mouse button were held down for the purpose of rotating the camera.

does this allow it to actually function like a third person game? for example, normally you could have wasd as forward, strafe left, backward, and strafe right, but you still had to have q and e to turn. do you still need q and e in this scenario?

Posted by: Razor.9872

Razor.9872

Could try out that Steam Controller and see how that works with action camera mode. I can’t say you will be better than those who use a keyboard, but you should fair fine.

NSPride <3

Posted by: Magira.6390

Magira.6390

Neither one. Take a Logitech G600.

one shot one kill.5734

Wow, ekarat literally solved my entire problem. Apparently the Xbox contoller template was made before action camera came out, and because of the action camera, it literally functions just like elder scrolls online does. Wherever my cursor is at, that is where the spell will land. Before, I had to hold down the l button, move the cursor to where I wanted to fire, then fire. On top of this, I have the elite controller so I never have to take my thumbs off the analog sticks. Thanks everyone this made my day!

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

^ best investment ever.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Posted by: darkaheart.4265

darkaheart.4265

hey, i came from runescape too! i quit right after the combat update back in 2012 lol
my second rpg was Dragonage on my xbox 360
and last was GW2!!
so i know how you feel, bruh!!

have you ever tried a keypad? if you havent you might want to do some research on it. here is a thread i made a while back
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/I-use-a-Razer-Orbweaver-keypad-any-thoughts/first#post5051092

i7 3770k @ 4.5 ghz|Z77X-UD5H Motherboard|16GB @ 1600Mhz|GTX 1080|Corsair AX750 PSU|Windows 10 Home

(edited by darkaheart.4265)

ekarat.1085

Wow, ekarat literally solved my entire problem. Apparently the Xbox contoller template was made before action camera came out, and because of the action camera, it literally functions just like elder scrolls online does. Wherever my cursor is at, that is where the spell will land. Before, I had to hold down the l button, move the cursor to where I wanted to fire, then fire. On top of this, I have the elite controller so I never have to take my thumbs off the analog sticks. Thanks everyone this made my day!

You’re welcome. May I ask which mod you ended up sticking with — the old pre-action-camera one or a newer one?

one shot one kill.5734

You’re welcome. May I ask which mod you ended up sticking with — the old pre-action-camera one or a newer one?

I have chosen the newer one, the action camera. the fact that you dont have to hold the “mouse” (i am using an xbox one controller with pinnacle gamer profiler) makes it a million times easier and fixed my entire problem. I am not kidding when it feels like a 3rd person action game using an xbox controller, a million times better than using a keyboard.

Posted by: sanedude.9450

sanedude.9450

I used to own g600(mine became glitchy after a while). I’d definitely recommend trying it out. My ex gf was in a similar situation as you, when I got her a g600 it was like night and day. Eveything became a lot more enjoyable.

Posted by: Fermi.2409

Fermi.2409

Use a KB+M. It’s objectively a better control scheme for GW2. Spend the money on a nice mouse and ideally a nice mechanical keyboard and you’re set

HAF 912 | i7-3770k @ 4.5 GHz | MSI GTX 1070 GAMING 8GB | Gigabyte Z77X-D3H
EGVA SuperNOVA B2 750W | 16 GB DDR3 1600 | Acer XG270HU | Win 10×64
MX Brown Quickfire XT | Commander Shaussman [AGNY]- Fort Aspenwood

Posted by: TapewormLondon.8901

TapewormLondon.8901

Im new to Guild Wars and MMOs in general, but I use K/M, with the keys rebound.

I use action cam for fighting and mouse for turning always its much easier and faster. A&D for strafe. Fighting keys (normally 1-5) are bound to my mouse keys as I have enough buttons, and keys1-5 are utility. Middle mouse is dodge. steal for my thief is shift, and \ is what is normally F2

Posted by: Tharca.5176

Tharca.5176

I use the G600 mouse + keyboard. Since the mouse can be programmed to your liking its a good mouse to replace a console controller.

The other thing is that GW2 doesn’t use a load of key’s, at least not as much as a lot of other MMO’s out there.

My advise would be to get used to using the keyboard with your left hand -WASD- to move, reprogram your mouse to what works for you and if needed reprogram the keys around the WASD to what you are missing to your set up.

Posted by: PEARLY.2579

PEARLY.2579

I use Razer Naga mouse for skills 1-9 and 0 and some of the f1-f4 skills
I use Razer Tartarus for moving about, jumping, map, guild and some of the f1-f4 skills

Posted by: DreamyAbaddon.3265

DreamyAbaddon.3265

Check this out:
I try to help this guy in game. And appearently I was too “Friendly” and got blocked the next day after spending hours helping him learn the basics. I feel I should call this one out. I don’t understand the logic and reasoning behind blocking people who help you in game. Talk about not being appreciated.

Anyways I play GW2 on controller and it works fine for me.
If you want to play on a controller I advice you make your own keybind/layout because everyone has different preferences.

Here is mine:

XboxOne Controller

(Combat Mode)

Right Stick = Camera (Action Cam)
Left Stick = QWES
Left Stick Click = Auto-Run

Going clock wise
A = Skill 1
X = Skill 2
Y = Skill 3
B = Skill 4
RT = Skill 5

Going clock wise
LB + A = Skill 6
LB + X = Skill 7
LB + Y = Skill 8
LB + B = Skill 9
LB + RT = Skill 0

RB = Dodge
LB + RB = Jump

Going clock wise
Left Dpad = F1
Up Dpad = F2
Right Dpad = F3
Down Dpad = F4
LB + Down Dpad = F5

LB + Left Dpad = “Counter Magic”

LT + A = Call Target
LT + X = Tab Target Enemy
LT + Y = Swap Weapons
LT + B = Escape / Cancel
LT + Up Dpad = Zoom In
LT + Down Dpad = Zoom Out

(Adventure Mode)

To toggle this mode, press the (Start Button) on Controller!

Right Stick = Camera (Action Cam)
Left Stick = QWES
Left Stick Click = Auto-Run

A = Jump
X = Interact
Y = World Map
B = Escape / cancel

RB = Dodge (good for stealth gliding)

Up Dpad = Zoom In
Down Dpad = Zoom Out

Here is a video of me playing all 9 classes with XboxOne Controller:

PS – I am using Xpadder, which is a 3rd party software that allows you to keybind your keyboard and mouse to your xbox controller.

Good luck.
Oh and thanks for blocking me btw!

Posted by: Majirah.5089

Majirah.5089

This is what I have used for the mmos I have played. Way back in my mmo days I just clicked. Then I learned to keybind using a normal keyboard. Night and day difference. Then I bought a g600 and it was night and day difference again. Very good investment indeed.

Posted by: yiksing.9432

yiksing.9432

Get a razer naga and the orbweaver

Posted by: onevstheworld.2419

onevstheworld.2419

Get a razer naga and the orbweaver

It’s expensive, but I recommend the orbweaver too. I use it in pretty much all my games instead of a keyboard

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

People do use a controller, but I wouldn’t — there’s some setup time involved and (since it’s not directly supported) stuff can break with new patches.

Instead, I’d look to

• Gaming mice. Logitech, Razr, and others have some multi-function mice that are awesome.
  • Left-hand keypad, including the Nostromo N52 and the Logitech G13
  • Multi-function keyboards (some of which include trackballs and extra keys)

A big advantage of computer-based games (as opposed to controller-ports) is that there are tons of commands and so the keyboard can be critical, depending on your style.

short story: I recommend looking at keyboard + gaming mouse to start with

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”