Fresh 80 with simple questions

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Mystry.4235

Mystry.4235

Q:

I can’t seem to find answers to this anywhere else, but where does a fresh 80 start getting gear? Fractals? Dungeons?

Posted by: Nels the Cornwhisperer.8025

Nels the Cornwhisperer.8025

Where ever you want. There’s no real progression, and you can just buy all your gear with a credit card…

How far that little candle throws its beams!
So shines a good deed in a naughty world.
- William Shakespear

Posted by: Mystry.4235

Mystry.4235

Not going to buy it with a credit card, I’m neither that rich nor that wasteful, hence why I’m playing an mmo that does not have a sub fee.

Posted by: Hanayatori.3764

Hanayatori.3764

I would suggest looking at the weapon and armor sets on the wiki, deciding which one(s) you want, and then going from there. Keep in mind that gear is primarily aesthetic, so choose what you like the looks of.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Armor_sets
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Weapon_sets

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

If you have a lot of karma you can go hit up the temples in Orr. Check Duilfy’s guide (google for GW2 Temple Karma Armor, sorry, after midnight and I’m face planting so grabbing links seems to have gone past my fatigue factor) for a complete list of which pieces have which stats and runes. 42K karma each. Don’t worry about looks, every single Temple piece is identical in appearance. Do make sure you’re getting the right type of armor for yourself as there’s no sell back and it sucks to lose 42K karma on a soulbound frilly top your warrior can never wear. The Temple does need to be open for you to get at the vendor.

Dungeons are pretty fast as well, you can get 180 tokens a day from one so two days for a chest piece. Each dungeon vendor (found in LA in Fort Mariner) has multiple item sets with different stats, go to the second tab and then scroll down to check which exact piece you want.

If you’ve gained enough gold in game, you can also check the TP for exotic armor.

Annnd if you go to a laurel vendor and check through the tabs, you’ll find ascended jewelery with various stats. It’ll take a while per item to get but you do get a laurel a day from dailies plus a hunk of them (10?) for the monthly.

Posted by: Nels the Cornwhisperer.8025

Nels the Cornwhisperer.8025

You can buy it. You can craft it. You can get it from dungeons (fractals too). You can get it from Karma vendors in Orr. You can get it from daily/monthly achievements. You can just farm around for drops and get lucky…

You can even hang out in whatever you got from your personal story, as it’s way more about looks than anything else.

How far that little candle throws its beams!
So shines a good deed in a naughty world.
- William Shakespear

Posted by: Yramrag.3026

Yramrag.3026

I can’t seem to find answers to this anywhere else, but where does a fresh 80 start getting gear? Fractals? Dungeons?

Couple of the more common ways (I assume you meant end-game Exotics gears):

1. Buy them from Trading Post. Each piece can cost from 2 gold to hundreds of gold.

2. Craft them. Level up to 400 in the craft that creates your armor type (heavy, medium, light) or weapon type, and you can start crafting Exotics (you can buy the recipes from the NPC next to the crafting station)

3. Buy them from Dungeon vendors, using dungeon tokens. You get these dungeon tokens after successfully clear a path in the dungeon in Explorable mode. The dungeon vendors are found in Lion’s Arch.

4. Buy from “cleansed” Temple using Karma. These temples are located in Orr. After the temple boss is cleared, the Temple is opened for business for a limited time. You can then buy Exotics from the Karma merchant located there.

Other less popular ways are getting Exotics from mob drop (very rare), using Mystic Forge to get an Exotic (putting in 4 rare level 75+ equipment) into the Forge). You can also now use Laurels (earned through Dailys and Monthly) to gamble for an exotic at the Laurel vendor.