Fresh new guardian in search of advice

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Cheesesandwich.6983

Cheesesandwich.6983

Hi Everyone

Some info on myself/background in gw2. I bought this game around 5~6 weeks ago and I started my first character as a ranger. I’ve gotten her up to 80 full exo berserker and have been sPvPing/WvWing very heavily. However, other than condition builds in sPvP i did not enjoy being squishy and I do enjoy playing a very tanky class.

So I am currently leveling a guardian and was hoping on tips/builds and advice on how to trait and gear a guardian to be the trolliest tankiest mofo out there in WvW (havoc or zerg alike). Shower me with wisdom!

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

As long as you don’t care about dps, I have a build for you. Alas I must go to work now and Tuesdays I don’t get in game much, but tomorrow afternoon/evening (Eastern) I’ll be in game and you can whisper me. I will get on my guardian and go over what she has.

She outlives most anything and protects her friends very well.

Mind you I’m not a theorycrafter. Probably someone knowledgeable could tweak her to even greater heights of survival. But I’ve really enjoyed playing her in dungeons and against Tequatl.

Posted by: Odokuro.5049

Odokuro.5049

There is a great post on the Alliance forum http://ybbl.enjin.com/forum/m/16444389/viewthread/8817690-pov-damage-soaker-support-front-line-guard I have personally seen this in action, and know the person who built it very well, I believe it will fill the role you want it to do!

Best of Luck!!!

The Self-Proclaimed Pervy Sage of Yaks Bend.
https://www.twitch.tv/amazinphelix

Posted by: Contiguous.1345

Contiguous.1345

Guardian isn’t necessarily ‘tanky’ and the ranger isn’t necessarily squishy. It really depends a lot on how you set the stats.

A tanky build of any class is going to hit like a wet noodle – so don’t expect your guardian to be able to kill anything. In fact, too much armour/toughness and you can die simply because you can’t kill the thing that’s pecking away at you.

The guardian’s great strength is in protecting and buffing others. It’s a great support class but absolute suicide solo.
You won’t survive an encounter with a Ranger for example.

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

Guardian isn’t necessarily ‘tanky’ and the ranger isn’t necessarily squishy. It really depends a lot on how you set the stats.

A tanky build of any class is going to hit like a wet noodle – so don’t expect your guardian to be able to kill anything. In fact, too much armour/toughness and you can die simply because you can’t kill the thing that’s pecking away at you.

The guardian’s great strength is in protecting and buffing others. It’s a great support class but absolute suicide solo.
You won’t survive an encounter with a Ranger for example.

Wow….a lot of absolute statements that depend on a LOT of things to be true.

You can find a Guardian build that gives good survivablity while putting out decent damage. However, focusing only on defense in this game is very bad idea and any decent player is going to discourage you from going that direction. It is just not rewarded by the current game design.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances