Frustrated

Frustrated

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: slymojo.9360

slymojo.9360

Yeah probably going to sound whiny or like a dear diary post. I can’t seem to find my “Main”. I very much enjoy WvWvW and to some respect PvE is fun. Played 5-6 different classes to roughly 20, Warrior, Guardian, Ranger, Mesmer, Necromancer, Thief (only to level 5) , (deleted an Elementalist and Engineer also) since I only bought 1 extra slot. My buddy is playing a thief and he loves the class he is almost to 70, while I sit and spin my wheels unable to choose.

My problem is when I start playing lets say warrior I have fun switching from GS/LB taking keeps etc but then I start reading build posts I don’t know how to spec the guy or what armor or what’s better power or precision, etc etc. The Mesmer is so fun, but try to keep up with my buddies thief sucks since no perma-speed and feel like dead weight, also I have no clue how to spec him. Guardian I don’t really care for and ranger I like in PvE not WvWvW, and Necromancer not at all. Finally thief I haven’t put much time into since my friend says prepare to DIE A LOT while you level up which sound like a pain in the kitten

So after getting that out of my head, what do we have, Mesmer, Warrior or Thief, well at least I am narrowing it down, lol. I am use to playing a support or healing class in MMO’s but that was when I had a regular group to run around with, now it’s me and my buddy in a decent guild but nothing structured, lol older guy that needs structure. I need a role to fill choosing on my own opens too many doors and I get over-whelmed and frustration sets in and game feels like work instead of fun.

Thanks for letting me vent, and if anyone has any insight or ideas for me I am open for help.

Thanks,
Sly

Frustrated

Posted by: Awesome.6120

Awesome.6120

The Mesmer is so fun, but try to keep up with my buddies thief sucks since no perma-speed and feel like dead weight

You are comparing the least mobile class to one of the most mobile classes. You will never be able to keep up with a thief who wants to outrun you on a mes. You are not dead weight though. Portal is one of the most valuable skills in the game. Feedback is amazing. Time warp, mass invis, pulling people with curtain… you are worth more than 5 thieves tbh.

If you have fun playing the mes don’t worry about keeping up with your friend. He should worry about sticking with you and having your back.

[SFD] – Maguuma

Frustrated

Posted by: Basil.8164

Basil.8164

So maybe the thief is not so bad in 1 vs 1 but mesmer rocks any day!
I love playing mine both in PvE and PvP and he’s just great against single targets or mobs (think phantasms and clones)
And maybe if You are thinking of making a warrior,why not try guardian?
Whilst warrior was my secondary char in GW1 (after the mes ) I didn’t like it too much in GW2,but I absolutely love guardian: it has a decent damage output and great survivability.
I do have a thief also,but he’s still under lvl 30 and I find him bit too squishy to my liking.

Frustrated

slymojo.9360

Thanks all, the Mesmer is fun and he is only level 21, so I have to assume more levels he just gets better. Hmm I have a low guardian, but the lack of ranged damage sort of threw me off pursuing that profession.

Frustrated

slymojo.9360

Also my guild is chalk full or guardians and warriors, not sure if another one of either professions is a good idea.

Frustrated

Posted by: Sir Tacoman.9814

Sir Tacoman.9814

Heres the thing, in Guild Wars 2, what you really have to look for is how a class plays not its role. Because, for example, Guardian has support with staff, damage with greatsword, and defense with mace. Other classes that have the same potential for support as the guardian on staff(well much better potential, guardian staff is not all that great).

For your warrior with support banners are always an option to build into. Warriors also have many possible fallback options. Some other classes that would be good to look at for support are elementalist(water on staff) and spirit ranger.

Really though, don’t look at it as what you can find a good build on. Look at it as what you have fun playing, and the build will come in time. Its really just learning the class that you are playing to learn what will work best for the way that you play that class.

80 Everything – Sir Tacoman[LOFT]
Home: Stormbluff Isle

Frustrated

Posted by: Dolan.3071

Dolan.3071

Why do people always google builds and try to copy them to the letter? Just play the character, find which weapons you like, experiment with skills, and do your traits from there. It’s much easier to choose which path you want to go down after that.

Uriel Asther ~ Warrior | Kaya Lereau ~ Elementalist | Natalie Fox ~ Thief
Skye Eterna ~ Mesmer | Arya Slade ~ Charrdian | Kiera Thine ~ Ranger
Oceanic ~ [LOD] [Noob]

Frustrated

Posted by: lazymustard.6491

lazymustard.6491

Agree with Dolan. Find I character you enjoy, and play it. Don’t worry about getting too serious with it unless that’s what you like to do. It takes a certain mindset to jungle numbers, and not everyone enjoys doing it.

Frustrated

slymojo.9360

Dolan here is why, back in the day on Dark age of Camelot I rolled an armsman at release, the class was worthless in RvR initially, 3-4 years later it became a good class in RvR. Back then it took 5-6 months to max level since I work, have a life, etc and it was just a lot harder to level just how it was. So I don’t want to WASTE 6 months of my life, I would like some direction not to waste my time and find a class and build that suits me, I’m not looking for a 1 click fotm pew pew kills everything easily class. I’m not a tool or a troll, just a guy who enjoys MMO’s and would like to find that 1 main class that I can have fun with in my limited free time and not smash my face into my keyboard because it sucks and is worthless in RvR or here its WvW. So that is why I google builds and look to the community for some help.

Frustrated

Posted by: Marengsen.1634

Marengsen.1634

@ Slymojo.

I think I know exactly how you feel in every aspect.. why? Because I used to play Dark age for 11 years, when I quit here in 2012. I’ve tried ALL characters on both mid/hib/alb and well – Ive had my time with the game! (still miss it somedays, when you ran around in Mularn as a lowbie, or hung out in Gna Faste, if you could get past Njessi)

I’m also searching for the same “daoc character concept” as you, but I’m slowly getting used to the “multi-roles” the characters can have in GW2 – I tried the Elementalist and for a short time, I specced into Staff to get the firebolts, just to get the feeling from my firewizard on US server .. wasnt anywhere near the well known bolt-dps, but fun to try for nostalgia at least.

Also had 3 RVR necros on different servers (EU + US), and instantly started this game 4 weeks ago with a necro .. I knew it wouldnt be the same type of character, and I didnt like it much. So far my highest level is a 38 warrior, which isnt the same as arms/warrior in daoc, but I like it so far, and it will probably be my first lvl 80 at some point. My life has also changed a lot since my “time-waste” in daoc (but kitten good 11 years of time-waste lol!!). Now I play 1-2 hours in the evening after baby is put to bed, so Im sort of also searching for the same character as you to fit my role/playstyle.

The other day I bought a Warhorn offhand item for my warrior, which gives 10 seconds of speedboost – that alone reminded me of a “SoS 1” from my Skald/mincer (you can even get “spellduration”, but its called Boon% or something like that – works the same way, in the “Treat” line)

Anyway, I hope you find your role in GW2 – I still have to try any kind of pvp (cant quite kill the old thought of having a perfect template before even setting a foot in the pvp zone – but its not needed in GW2)

Add me ingame if you like (dont ask me how), if you want to chat about the old days and how we could “transform” into GW2 playstyle

-Marengsen

(edited by Marengsen.1634)

Frustrated

slymojo.9360

lol Marengsen @ the 11 years thing, I had many classes on all realms too, but my love was my druid, but that was because my guild set up RvR nights and we ran 8man or 16 man assault grps/gank grps, and healing them and being support was so fun while they melted faces etc, goofing around on vent while we all got drunk or other things I didn’t need to out DPS since heck I was a druid I had no dps. But I didn’t do pugs since no vent or no skills or no synergy, and I guess deep down this is what I miss, the comradery. I did have my lowbie stealth guys I would play in BG’s to escape the healer role and could solo pick off casters standing in back lines. I look at a warrior it is fun, but they are everywhere, then guardian, same everywhere, the mesmer is fun but I get 2 shotted (yes he is level 21 so hope that gets better) then I think how about engineer not tried that yet.

Frustrated

Posted by: Rannug.2731

Rannug.2731

I agree with some of the above. I started a Ranger (80) and am running a Mesmer (80) now. I picked the weapons I like the most, then tried out some skills I thought would help my play style. I got some skills that cost me a lot (30) but don’t do anything for me. Some people prefer them, so you just can’t copy someone’s build and are great with it. You will need to build it according to your play style.
And, I would say you need to be at least level 35-40 to appreciate any profession. I didn’t like my Mesmer at lower levels, very squishy. Different now, love the play style and my phantasms.. Hey, I never play alone even if I am …