Gaming mouse for smaller hands?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Tintaglia.4762

Tintaglia.4762

I’ve used the Razer Naga and the Logitech G600, but both of them are too large to control with my smaller (female) hands. The G600 is both too wide and too long for my hands. I find it impossible to have good control of the mouse itself, while keeping oriented on the buttons.

I really only need 6 well-placed buttons to bind to Dodge, Heal, and F1-4. I’d appreciate any suggestions from those of you with smaller hands. (I don’t want another Razer mouse because of their horribly buggy software.)

Posted by: GrandmaFunk.3052

GrandmaFunk.3052

And here I was wishing my g600 was a bit longer.. now I feel like a sasquatch.

Have you tried out a cyborg? (http://www.cyborggaming.com/prod/mmo.htm) Given that you can adjust it’s overall size/shape, you might be able to find a grip that works for your hand

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

Tintaglia.4762

Oh jeez, I’d have to become an engineer to use that one! O.o

Posted by: Aerinndis.2730

Aerinndis.2730

Check out the Logitech G9X. It fits my hand nicely and is adjustable.

Posted by: Olba.5376

Olba.5376

There aren’t too many smaller gaming mice with lots of buttons.

There’s Razer Taipan and Logitech G300.

After a quick check through the gaming mice selection of Roccat, SteelSeries, Logitech, Razer and Zowie, I kinda came to the conclusion that there simply aren’t that many mice with lots of extra buttons. The vast majority has 2 sidebuttons and a button on the scrollwheel. The ones that do have 5+ buttons usually do it with two sets of two side buttons on each side of the mouse, but that usually results in the other side being very difficult to use efficiently. And after that, there’s just all those big and bulky MMORPG mice like G600, the Razer Naga or the SteelSeries WoW Mouse.

Though I have to ask: why do you need so many buttons on the mouse? You can already dodge with double tapping and you should be able to rebind the other keys.

(edited by Olba.5376)

Posted by: GrandmaFunk.3052

GrandmaFunk.3052

Though I have to ask: why do you need so many buttons on the mouse? You can already dodge with double tapping and you should be able to rebind the other keys.

As someone who uses a g600 and has all 10 skills, f1-f4 and weapon swap all mapped on it… how could anyone NOT want more buttons on their mice?

using number keys for skills? barbarism!

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

Posted by: ampy.1387

ampy.1387

Loving my G600 atm but I still like the feel of having to press 1-5 for primary skills. Since i’m on mac i’m not able to configure my mouse to it’s full potential but soon enough

That Cyborg… wow haha. Does it transform? :P

Music is the Weapon of the Future.

ïryss | Engineer

Posted by: Batdogi.7142

Batdogi.7142

I usually use larger mice like the older Razer mice, but for a while I used a small laptop desk and a Razer Pro Click v1.6 due to the limited space I had available. It was a mouse styled for Macs and aimed at the business CAD market I think. Worked fine for gaming for me. Not too many extra buttons though, but good response and accuracy.

http://reviews.cnet.com/mice/razer-pro-v1-6/4505-3148_7-31851311.html

I bought two of the off of Woot, but lost one while moving and gave the other to a friend of mine whose daughter needed a mouse sized well for he smaller hands.

“Because a thing seems difficult for you, do not think it impossible for anyone to accomplish.”
? Marcus Aurelius Antoninus

(edited by Batdogi.7142)

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

Check out the RAT—don’t know if it will help, but it does ‘transform’
http://www.cyborggaming.com/prod/rat7.htm

Got one in a box—just waiting for the G9 to die.
As for the Razor stuff—junk. Got one in a box because it lasted about 3 days before I ripped it from my system—not for me, not a fan for a variety of reasons.

(edited by Blude.6812)

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I’ve actually been quite happy with my Razer HEX. I got it right after BWE1 because keyboard dodging wasn’t working for me. I don’t even use all six buttons. I tried it for WoW a bit and found it too heavy and slow for that but it’s perfect for GW2.

I am a woman with slender hands and very little in the way of twitch reflexes (also I have a very light touch on things, I’m not exactly pounding the heck out of the mouse). Thanks to the HEX I can dodge and strafe with ease. It’s never bugged out on me or stopped working in any way. I do have to reset my scroll to 3 lines every time I boot my computer thanks to a driver issue; once that’s done, it’s flawless.

Posted by: Dasorine.1964

Dasorine.1964

The cyborgs are great for adjustability (though do suffer some slight comfort issues with the sharp edges at time)

And while they look hideously complicated there actually pretty simple, I’d say they’d be your best bet for a proper gaming mouse that you might be able to adjust to the right size (pretty sure you can remove most of it to get its size down for example)

Posted by: JakHammer.7094

JakHammer.7094

I’ll second the advice to check out the Cyborg R.A.T. mouse line. My sub 5’ petite spouse looked at every gaming mouse on the shelves of 4 stores before she found them at Fry’s, and we both can use it. I’m over 6’ with large hands.

Posted by: Geotherma.2395

Geotherma.2395

Intel i7 3.9ghz processor 16GB Ram 2TB HDD
Nvidia GTX 650 Win 7 64bit FFXI 4+yrs/Aion 4+ years Complete Noob~ Veteran OIF/OEF
http://everyonesgrudge.enjin.com/home MY GW2 Music http://tinyurl.com/cm4o6tu

Posted by: RAWR.4273

RAWR.4273

I highly recommend using this awesome $11 mouse until you find the “perfect match”. Has lasted me several years, still going strong! and has all the basic functions with a DPI control.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/E-3lue-Cobra-1600DPI-6-Buttons-USB-Wired-Optical-Gaming-Game-Mouse-Creative-/330888956732?pt=Mice&hash=item4d0a84cb3c

Unit measures 5 × 2.5 × 1.5 inches ; 4.8 ounces.

(edited by RAWR.4273)

Tintaglia.4762

OP here. Thanks for all the suggestions, as well as measurements. My biggest frustration has been not finding measurements available on vendor or even manufacturer websites, so word of mouth is a big help!

For the time being I’m using a Logitech g400 because it has a “waist” and a low profile which makes it easier for me to control. However it’s not fantastic, so I’ll be looking into many of the suggestions you offered. The g300 suggestion looks interesting. I hadn’t realized it’s a smaller size, and my local Best Buy didn’t carry them. I think I’m going to order one and see how I like it compared to the g400.

Response to some comments:

The Naga I had was okay in terms of shape and size, but developed a bad bug. Customer service sent me a monstrously-long form to fill out for a replacement, and would not send it to me asap. Rather than go mouse-less, I pitched the Naga in the trash. Bye, Razer, thanks for the memories.

I like to have weapon swap, dodge, heal, and at least a couple F-keys on my mouse. I bind many of my skill keys to more convenient locations on my keyboard, because again with the small hands. I don’t like double-tapping because it’s troublesome in jumping.

Posted by: Nretep.2564

Nretep.2564

Roccat Kova/ Kova [+]/ Kone Pure (/ Kone Pure Color)
all share the same layout, but are different versions.
http://www.roccat.org/Products/Gaming-Mice/ROCCAT-Kone-Pure/

Tintaglia.4762

Well the g300 was just the right size, but the settings I made in the Logitech software wouldn’t save properly on the mouse (requiring resetting over and over). Also, within 5 minutes of use, it stopped working and froze my computer.

As of now g400 is my best option.

Posted by: MobMama.5648

MobMama.5648

I’m with you on this one. Still on the hunt for just the ‘right’ smaller sized gaming mouse for my feminine hand. For now, I’m using a Razer Orochi as it fits my hand comfortably and is ambidexterous, can be used either wired or wirelessly, and has some customizable buttons. Yes, I know and understand why you didn’t want to go with another Razer, but figured I’d go ahead and suggest this one anyway. Good luck and much success in finding a mouse that fits and works out for your needs.

Posted by: Damaris.3479

Damaris.3479

I use a Rat 3, and size was the main reason why I bought this particular one. It’s perfectly sized for my hand.