Giant Triangles/stretched meshes, graphics totally unplayable

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: kungfubellydancer.7360

kungfubellydancer.7360

Since I logged on today, I have not been able to play. As soon as I load the area I was last playing in, the whole world is covered in stretched shapes, planes, and triangles.

I have included a youtube video which shows exactly what I mean. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOA7jT5JIx0

It’s awful, and this is the first time I’ve seen it like this. Logging on again, restarting computer, and changing graphics settings has not fixed the problem.

Posted by: Justin.3018

Justin.3018

I’m having the same issue too. I logged in yesterday just fine. After the update today, I see this.

kungfubellydancer.7360

I would really love to play this game since I bought it on Sunday…if anyone has any work arounds that would be great.

Posted by: Aeri.1452

Aeri.1452

Check if you have any forced settings on your graphics drivers. Some games don’t support those as well as others.

Download a program such as FurMark to test your GPU for artifacting. Might combine it with EVGA Precision/MSI Afterburner or such to monitor temps, if you don’t already use one.

If you have any overclocks going (even only on CPU), undo them and test if the problem still occurs. Sometimes overclocking can randomly produce weird effects.

Play around in the F11 graphics options. Set everything to lowest, see if the problem still occurs. If not, test each option one at a time until something breaks again.

Posted by: Midnight.9205

Midnight.9205

I’d be checking your version of graphics card drivers as well as Aeri’s suggestings above.

This sort of thing I’ve seen once before myself, and it was outdated drivers. If you’re wondering why it worked yesterday and not today type of thing, a game update may finally have caused the old drivers you were using to finally not work properly.

Would be curious to hear from those here of the make & model of graphics card & driver version.

kungfubellydancer.7360

I tried readjusting the settings in F11; by default I had everything at minimum.

My graphics card is ATI Radeon HD 3200, and I’m using a 2.1 gh processor. This is an old HP laptop with Windows 7 64bit. It runs my games pretty well, as long as I have my graphic settings at medium-low.

Just in case, I’m downloading new drivers right now. Hopefully it will work.

It the mean time, I’d like to know if anyone else is having the same problem.

kungfubellydancer.7360

I updated my drivers; that seemed to be the problem and now the game runs okay.

Posted by: Jono.1085

Jono.1085

How and what did you use to update your drivers, I have updated mine heaps of time and it has never solved the problem, please help

Posted by: bri.2359

bri.2359

How and what did you use to update your drivers, I have updated mine heaps of time and it has never solved the problem, please help

Updating graphic drivers requires some extra steps to avoid any problems.
1- only download drivers from the manufactures web site, don’t use 2nd party sites for this. Read, and I mean read the release notes to make sure the driver is suitable for your GPU model.
2- download and install a free driver removal programme. (I use Driver Sweeper)
3- uninstall the the current driver using the device manager by selecting the GPU device, properties, and uninstall driver options.
4- use the driver removal program to find and remove the driver files left on the computer.
5- reboot, and let the O/S find and install the default driver. Don’t worry about the low-res, and just wait until it finishes. Do not re-boot after this …
6- run the new driver installation utility. Use custom install to avoiding installing drivers you don’t need like 3D vision, HD audio and the like, unless you have devices that support these.
7- Re-boot

You should be good to go. However, you should go into your driver manager to check all your settings and to define game profiles.

Lvl 80’s: Ranger; Guardian; Mesmer; Necromancer; Thief
Gandara Megaserver

Posted by: ladydie.8542

ladydie.8542

I had the EXACT same problem with an HP Pavillion dv7, Win7 operating system, graphics card is ATI Radeon HD 3200.

I tried everything. Drivers. System Restore. Compatibility options to run with previous versions of Windows… nothing.

[Now I had this same problem with FF14 last year when I picked up a copy for the same laptop. Never could fix it, though. Right before that, my battery had went lame on me for whatever reason, and I had read somewhere that the system may have been running too hot? (Not a computer whiz, here.) Never was replaced and the power source stays plugged in.]

[Also, the laptop runs WoW with NO problems.]

Anyways, after hours of frustration and no progress, I changed the power settings to very low, and dimmed the screen as low as it would go. Uninstalled and tried, one last time to re-install Guild Wars 2…. stretching is gone!!! I think that the power saving settings allowed the computer to run at a cooler temp? All guesswork. But. It’s FIXED.

I don’t know if this will help anyone else, but I am kind of curious if FF14 will install now without the stretching.