Gifting gold? / Maximum and/or restrictions?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Thanathos.2063

Thanathos.2063

Heya boys and girls!
So I got in a pretty special situation recently.

My boyfriend and I moved together some weeks ago. It was only then when I got to know that he was once playing actively too. In fact, he played the trading post pretty much and got rich. I don’t know how rich exactly, but VERY rich (he said his gold amount has 5 digits).
On valentine’s day, he wanted to make me a special gift. Since he isn’t playing anymore and he’s pretty safe that this will stay this way, he wanted to do me a favour and give me his money. I’m still actively playing and I could use it just so well.

However, I’m still pretty unsure about it. I definitely don’t want to get banned. Would it look like gold selling to ArenaNet?
We would use the same IP, so this may seem unlikely if they dig into it. We could also provide all serial keys / attached emails, so it’s not an account theft either.
But would that be enough?

Is there some ArenaNet policy, like “gifting gold is okay, but please no more than X amount in a given timeframe”?
I already contacted customer support to make sure that I’m /we’re not going to do anything forbidden / malicious.
Anyone already made experience with this kind of stuff? Is it even okay for ArenaNet to give that much gold away when I’m deciding to quit playing?

Thanks in advance!

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Here’s what they said about gifting gold.

We are introducing a change to gold transfers as part of an effort to address fraud and account theft. Beginning on March 31, 2015, there will be a limit on how much gold a single player can receive through in-game mail and/or the Guild Vault each week. This limit, which is based on historical data, should not affect the normal transfer of gold between players. It is designed to prevent rapid and abusive transfers of gold that may be part of account takeovers, fraud, and RMT (gold selling).

Full details about the system:

1. Each account will have a limit on how much gold can be moved from its mail in-box and Guild Vault into its wallet each week.
  2. If you receive more gold through in-game mail than you can accept in a week, the gold will remain attached to the mail in your in-box and can be retrieved up to the limit the following week or in subsequent weeks.
  3. For the purposes of this limit, a week begins at 12:01 AM UTC each Sunday (5:01 PM PDT/4:01 PM PST Saturday).
  4. Gold received from the Trading Post is not subject to this limit.
  5. The maximum amount of gold that can be sent via a single in-game mail will be 500 gold.
  6. The maximum total amount of gold that an individual player account can accept in a week will be 500 gold.
  7. We will monitor this system and may make changes to the limits if we find that changes are necessary.

What you might do is set up a “paper trail” using emails. Your boyfriend emails to you that he is going to gift to you X gold/week or (total amount gold) that you can take 500 gold out of each week for [reasons]. Then you email back accepting and thanking him for the gift of X gold for [reasons]. Both of you save these emails in case you get investigated and need to show cause of why gold was transferred.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

BF can just send a single email. You won’t be able to remove more than 500g/week. For example, BF sends you 5000g, it would take 10 weeks to collect it all.

Alternatively, BF can buy Eternity and send it to you. And you can turn around and sell it. In the worst case, he’d spend 4500 and you’d get 3145 back (after fees), but you’d have it instantly. (And if your BF is a TP baron, he can figure out ways to improve on that figure by a lot, e.g. he could buy you stuff that flips easily, thus spending 4k to gift you 5k.)

Congrats on your cohabitation!

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Thanathos.2063

Thanks for your input!
I’ve already seen Gaile’s post somewhen but I wasn’t able to find it again.

That seems to be pretty fine. 500g a week is pretty okay to me
Just some basic questions that popped up when reading your posts:
- when sending gold as a gift, it’s better to have a reason (like, “this gold is for item X”)?
- sending items is okay, too? like, he could send me my missing rare collection items via guild bank or letter and it wouldn’t count towards the 500g.

TY! ^^ Working out pretty well so far :P

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Thanks for your input!

Quite welcome

500g a week is pretty okay to me

Sure, I’d be happy with that, if BF wants to send any extras my way

- when sending gold as a gift, it’s better to have a reason (like, “this gold is for item X”)?

I do that, but honestly, I’ve never had trouble at all. And I’ve gifted… well let’s say enough to trigger a support check.

- sending items is okay, too? like, he could send me my missing rare collection items via guild bank or letter and it wouldn’t count towards the 500g.

Correct. I strongly recommend going that route.

TY! ^^ Working out pretty well so far :P

Excellent! I wish y’all many happy year.

Posted by: Saurrec.6402

Saurrec.6402

I would recommend doing the “paper trail” and gifting a bunch of it in items as to not max out weekly limit.

A physical disability hasn’t stopped me from being a Polite, Helpful, & Badkitten player.

Posted by: Lady Deedra.3126

Lady Deedra.3126

You can receive up to 5,000 in all your mail. This will be 10 mails with 500g in each one. I have sold 100’s of precursors off the TP and never had an issue. I have received hundreds of thousands of gold across a few of my accounts in the past. I still actively sell precurors off the TP without issue. Then there was a time I bought a predator from a friend. They banned my wifes account, removed the gold, labelled my wife a gold seller in their responses to our friends, banned them, and then returned the gold and un banned us all. Point of the story, if there is any shadyness invloved expect to be banned. There are triggers in place that warrant someone looking into the transactions. I have hit them many times without an issue. There are anomalies that happen and if the gold is legit and this isn’t some story to lay the groundwork to you buying gold so you can reference this post later than I am sure you will be fine. Just be prepared in case you do get banned to provide them with as much information as possible. I would have him buy you what you want and deposit it into a mutual guild bank. Sending gold in any quantity is always a crap shoot as far as I see. You may or may not get banned. If it’s justified then be prepared to deal with it. Just my 2 cents.

Skjold Pjod
I am “That” guy you have all heard about.
1,073 precursors forged and counting.

Thanathos.2063

There are anomalies that happen and if the gold is legit and this isn’t some story to lay the groundwork to you buying gold so you can reference this post later than I am sure you will be fine. Just be prepared in case you do get banned to provide them with as much information as possible.

Don’t worry, I’m pretty sure that we would be able to do so. Anyway, only a few guys invite gold sellers to their home so that they share the same IP (at least I guess so)
Neither of us did any shady business in the past, and your post indicates that staff works reasonable enough to listen to arguments.

Gifting items and stuff seems more romantic to me anyways. Maybe he can think of some sort of Advent calendar? I think I’m gonna give him some hints ^^

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Did I hear something about a holiday-themed list of gifts from a sweetie-pie? Perhaps share with him this infamous Wintersday carol:
—————————————————————

On the first day of cohabitation, my true love sent to me…
… a Parrot Mail Carrier in a Elder Wood Logging Node

(pretend like I really posted all the lyrics for each day)

On the twelfth day of Cohabitation, my true love sent to me:

Thanathos.2063

… gosh, that’s just too sweet…