Got To 80, Still Have No Idea What I'm Doing

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: NantanLupan.1485

NantanLupan.1485

Hey, I’ve been playing for like the last ten days, after my brother and my friends convinced me to start playing it. I got my main character up to lvl 80 last night, but I’m still kind of lost. I’m playing primarily as a Warrior right now(secondary is a Ranger, then there’s a couple others I’m fiddling with). Now, my friends and my brother talked the game up to me, because they all wanted to start playing together. Two days after we all started playing together, they all went back to another game(not a MMO) and have totally abandoned me at this time, lol. I’m trying to figure out exactly what I need to be building, but it takes me a while(I had a stroke last year so I can’t necessarily figure out making a build without having some help for the first little bit). The stats and everything don’t quite make sense to me yet. I’m currently running a greatsword/sword with warhorn combo for general running around. The first thing that I did when I hit level 80 was to buy a new Greatsword and a full set of armor. And I feel like maybe the armor was a mistake. Now, maybe I’m just generally kind of bad at the game right now, that’s more than likely a good part of the problem. But I don’t know that my purchases were a good idea(in my defense, I had a stroke, and I will use that excuse for as long as possible, haha).
Here’s what I’m geared for:
Koss’ Armor set w/the Superior Rune of Balthazor
Apothecary’s Pearl Broadsword of Life w/Superior Sigil of Life and Minor Sigil of Blood
Ak-Mahl’s Jaw w/Superior Sigil of Leeching
Berzerker’s Soft Wood Warhorn of Hobbling w/Superior Sigil of Hobbling

As far as skills, I just fiddle with them, but I usually keep Banner of Defense in my skill set.
Traits, I’ve got it set: 3 in Strength; 6 in Arms; and 5 in Defense. I haven’t put anything into any other trees.

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

Generally warriors tend to go for Berserker stats, which is Power, Precision, Ferocity (power being the highest). Berserker gear builds are considered the best for PvE content, ensuring high damage output.

This page offers an in-depth explanation for what each stat does.
The wiki in general is my go-to info source for anything I want to know about (You can access the wiki in game by using the /wiki command in chat, for example “/wiki Warrior” will bring up the wiki page for the warrior profession in your default browser.

Other than the wiki, I strongly advise making use of the extremely friendly community we have here in GW2. Ask questions in map chat, seek out an active guild and so on, there’s almost always someone willing to lend a hand with issues. The guilds I have joined have taught me a hell of a lot about the game and what direction to go in.

I also strongly recommend using dulfy.net. here is the dulfy guide to a great pve warrior build used by a lot of players

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

Posted by: that baby stealing dingo.7216

that baby stealing dingo.7216

In all honesty, the way that I learned how to play my warrior was by playing other classes. I leveled a warrior to 80, set it aside, then leveled another class that was condition-based. Then I came back to play my warrior and was like “Now I’m starting to get it.” My understanding of the game grew by leveling new, different classes.

It also depends on what you want to do with your warrior: play WvW, play general PvE, run fractals, sPvP, etc. We can give you better tips we know what your focus is.

I have a sword, a dagger, and an estimated life span of 2.47 seconds.

Posted by: Oxidia.8103

Oxidia.8103

I didn’t have stroke and i still have no idea how to make a build i just copy off internet when i decide to switch weapons.

Posted by: smhtjoa.7159

smhtjoa.7159

Hi there, I’d also strongly suggest posting in the Warrior profession section of the forum, you should get some solid advice there from veteran Warriors.

Before you can decide on a build (armour, weapons, runes, sigils, etc.) you need to know a few things about yourself:
- What is your play style? Do you to rush in and kill everything you encounter before it kills you? (Choose Berserker, max dps offensive stats: power+precision+ferocity) Or do you hang back and swoop in at the opportune moment? (more defensive gear: Knights, Soldier’s or Valkyrie armour)
- What kind of game play are you interested in? Do you want to mainly play alone and roam open world (PvE)? Would you prefer to do group PvE events (dungeons, fractals)? Do you want to venture into PvP of WvW? Your build will need to be adjusted for all these areas of the game.