Got it. Love it. Need Help Adjusting!

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Spidyr.5287

Spidyr.5287

Just started playing this week, and I love it. I’m kicking myself for not getting into it sooner. Anyways, here are some questions I’ve run into so far, feel free to answer as many or few as you care to (numbering your answers would help). And thanks I really appreciate it!

1) After trying out some PvP, returning to PvE resulted in me having all my PvP gear in my inventory. What do most players do to not waste all that inventory space? Bank it? Destroy it because it costs 0?

2) My understanding is that PvP allows you to unlock sweet cosmetic weapons/armor for PvP. Where are these rewards obtained/redeemed? Do you get them from Glory guy by buying chests? Or just from playing enough games?

3) I’m sure I am just not far enough along yet (lvl 10) but further along does my story quest lead me into more racially “shared” territory? I’ve seen some of the others races around my zone but I’m still in the hundred acre wood.

4) Most MMO’s I don’t craft. I don’t enjoy it, it’s a time sink and it always seems to lag behind what I can get through other means. After browsing the GW2 forums I am under the impression that it is something I need to do in GW2. SO I’m trying to do leather working and change my ways, but having a hard time getting mats (I can’t just mine ore) so any help from leatherworkers? Do I need to kill 3k boars for tattered hides South Park style? Also I am having a terrible time not being constantly maxed out on inventory space (starter bag + 3 weak bags).

Thanks for your help!

The sharpest sword cannot compare to the sharpest mind.

Posted by: CountzuCrytus.7256

CountzuCrytus.7256

1). There is a Pvp locker that you can deposit gear to, if you look in your inventory there is a gear sign in the upper right corner of it, click that and click deposit collectables (or right click each individual item). If you have any doubles, you can either keep them in your inventory or salvage them using kits
2). All of the above. As you earn glory you can buy chests depending on what rank you are and open them for a chance of getting a random few pieces of gear that are that rank. Otherwise if you do tPVP you can open win rewards chests and get different type of skins.
You can also use glory and gold by the bit Koda guy and buy certain sets. Lastly you can also use the mystic forge to get certain skins too.
3). Yes, around level 30 or so you will go to Lions Arch which is the main city shared by all races.
4). You don’t have to craft tbh, unless you want ascended gear(highest stats in game). You can always buy materials you need from trading post (press O). But what you should do is make sure you gather everything you see, as it actually gives more exp than killing adds. And eventually when you do decide to craft you can use the materials (dont forget to deposit them to your bank the same way as i mentioned in #1). As far as leather you can salvage (buy salvage kits from merchant) any medium rank armor for a chance of obtaining leather.

Edit: Spell Check

(edited by CountzuCrytus.7256)

Spidyr.5287

Thanks! Especially for the PvP explanations. I did see the PvP locker but didn’t realize I could deposit those into it. Huge help, thanks again.

Posted by: CountzuCrytus.7256

CountzuCrytus.7256

Anytime, and welcome to the game !

Posted by: Delmain.5167

Delmain.5167

Looks like all your questions are answered already, but some things were left out about crafting.

You can also take crafting to keep your armor and weapons semi up-to-date and to help level your character during “slow” periods while leveling. Pretty much everything you do gives you experience in some way. For crafting, its every time you gain a crafting level you gain experience, and 25 crafting levels in two crafting professions equal about 1-3 character levels (depends on the crafting level). I tend to take an armor crafting profession and a weapon crafting profession.

And since you are new, here’s two bits of advice, one of which is very weird.
1) Keep an eye on NPC chat. This can give you a heads up on nearby events and sometimes the chat will either make you laugh or wish there was a face palm emote. That last bit is especially true during and after certain events (I’m looking at you 2 old charr over in the Iron Marches!)

2) Read any graves you see! Yep the weird advice. While most of them are serious and a bit depressing, they carry some references to other things. Also, a large number of graves are joke ones that you can’t help but laugh at. There’s a graveyard in Shaemoor (right outside Divinity’s Reach, if you didn’t choose human. Just take a left when you exit Divinity’s Reach and you will hit the graveyard.) with a few joke graves, if you don’t believe me. Also, if you see a Priest of Grenth there during the day, an event can be started later that night (in-game time). Also, a low fog (or was it mist?) during the night is another sign the event is there. Just look for a female npc in the graveyard.

Spidyr.5287

Wow good advice. Thanks a lot.

1) I will do that, though sometimes they make me want to pull my hair out (NPC repeating the same line every 5 seconds while I am trying to use crafting station).

Posted by: Falunel.7645

Falunel.7645

Hello, and welcome! Others answered your questions well, but here’s a few addendums.

3) I’m sure I am just not far enough along yet (lvl 10) but further along does my story quest lead me into more racially “shared” territory? I’ve seen some of the others races around my zone but I’m still in the hundred acre wood.

You are actually free to explore other racial zones at your leisure, before the story leads you to them- in fact, it’s a good way to level.

• Step 1- Enter your home city. Since you mentioned the Hundred-Acre Wood, I’m going to assume you’re a sylvari (best race btw). Your home city, then, will be The Grove, and you can reach it by going south of Astorea Waypoint near where you started.
  • Step 2- Locate a purple swirl icon on the map. This marks an Asura Gate. If you travel through this Gate, you will be teleported to Lion’s Arch, the hub city of the game.
  • Step 3- When you arrive at Lion’s Arch, you will be at a small plaza with five Asura Gates branching off it, each guarded by the peacekeeping factions of each race. Simply walk through the gate guarded by the race whose zone you want to explore.
  • Step 4- You will arrive at that race’s city. Make your way through it to arrive at their starting zone.*

*Note: The charr and norn cities open out into two different zones. You will want to go to the Plains of Ashford for the charr starting zone and the Wayfarer Foothills for the norn starting zone.

4) Most MMO’s I don’t craft. I don’t enjoy it, it’s a time sink and it always seems to lag behind what I can get through other means. After browsing the GW2 forums I am under the impression that it is something I need to do in GW2. SO I’m trying to do leather working and change my ways, but having a hard time getting mats (I can’t just mine ore) so any help from leatherworkers? Do I need to kill 3k boars for tattered hides South Park style? Also I am having a terrible time not being constantly maxed out on inventory space (starter bag + 3 weak bags).

Firstly about crafting: You are not required to craft unless you want a legendary weapon (which is a cosmetic thing) or Ascended armor, which is the highest stat tier but only marginally so. 99.9% of the game can be done easily in exotics (which do not require crafting to get), with the sole exception being high-level Fractals. High-level Fractals do not reward anything special and are more of a personal bragging rights thing. For the rest of the game, the bonus Ascended gives over exotics is hardly noticeable and mainly caters to hardcore min/maxers or people who like rounding out characters.

Secondly, about materials: Another poster has already covered salvaging. About gathering, though, you can purchase gathering tools from any merchant and start gathering right away. You do not need to learn any skills to gather or level up gathering abilities- you just need the tools. Gathering gives exp and credit towards a daily achievement (which gives exp when completed), as well as giving you mats that can be kept or sold on the Trading Post. So gather everything!

Thirdly, about bag space: You can purchase 8-slot bags off the Trading Post for a low cost. Though it’s not much, it’ll help in the beginning. In addition, if you look in your inventory window, you’ll see a cogwheel in the upper-right corner. If you click that and select “Deposit All Collectibles,” it will send all of your crafting materials directly to the bank, freeing up room. (On a similar note, your bank is divided into to tabs. The first is for general storage and is account-wide. The second tab is also account-wide and can store up to 250 of every crafting material. Deposit All Collectibles sends your materials to this second tab.)

If you ever have any other questions or need a hand, feel free to PM me in-game (type /tell Falunel in chat).

Falunel – Sylvari Elementalist | Falche Graysong – Human Mesmer | Tarnished Coast
Ember Solace [SOL] – A guild welcoming of newbies and those at the margins.
New Player Outreach Thread