Guide: Explorer Achievements and 100% Map

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Lexy.3912

Lexy.3912

Posts to do with regional Explorer Achievements and 100% Map Completion crop up all the time on the Players Helping Players forum. So, I thought I’d put together a guide which covers some of the more commonly confused aspects of map completion vs explorer achievements as well as commonly missed and newly added areas for both. Much of this information is available from various wiki pages but I hope the community finds it useful bought together into one post.

The difference between 100% Map Completion and regional Explorer Achievements

100% Map Completion – requires you to visit every point of interest, vista and waypoint and complete every renown heart and skill challenge in the following areas:

Rewards – 100% map completion rewards you with;

• 2 gifts of explorations
  • A star next to your character’s name in game (viewable by other players)
  • An account wide title Been There, Done That
  • The Map Completion Account Medal on your character select screen

Regional Explorer Achievements – requires you to discover/unfog all of the white-named areas in each of the maps of a geographical region.

• It has nothing to do with points of interest, waypoints, hearts, etc. It is only about revealing the areas named in white text on your map.
  • Each region is made up of a number of maps and includes at least one city map. This guide provides a breakdown of which maps make up which regions and also includes all the white-named areas on each map that you are looking to discover.
  • These achievements are account wide; each character can discover an area but it is only counted for the achievement the first time. If you are searching for missing areas I would recommend you use the character with highest % map completion on your account.
  • A lot of the white named map areas don’t contain things necessary for 100% map completion so it is completely feasible to have 100% map and not all of the explorer achievements. Likewise, you can have a explorer achievement completed without having visited or completed everything you need for map completion in that area.

Rewards – Regional Explorer Achievements reward you with achievement points (that is all) between 20-25 points per completed region.

How to identify what you’re missing

Missing Areas for 100% Map Completion? – hints and tips

• Check that you have visited and 100% completed all six cities.
  • Check that you have visited every explorable map. One that can be easily missed due to its isolated location is Fields of Ruin.
  • Check the list below for additional locations added since launch.
  • Open your world map [M] and hover your mouse over the name of each city/zone to see a pop-up of current completion for that area – check they are all 100%.
  • If you honestly think you have visited and completed everything and have still not received your rewards for overall completion – revisit the Chantry of Secrets, enter the instance and have a good run around the inside. Time and time again players report that this is what triggers the release of rewards for them (don’t ask me why!).

Missing Areas for Regional Explorer Achievements? – hints and tips

• You do not have to revisit maps in order to check which areas you have already uncovered (don’t waste the waypoint costs) – just open your world map and zoom in until the white-named areas are visible. Use this guide to cross reference your world map – the areas are listed in the order they appear on the map left to right, top to bottom. Use your character with highest % map completion to do the check.
  • Look for ‘fogged’ areas within a map, particularly if they are surrounded by unfogged areas or are at the edge of the map but protruding inwards as if there should be something there.
  • Make sure you double check the six cities – they count too.
  • If you are only missing a small number of areas within a region try using the list of commonly missed and newly added areas below.
My GW2 Project 365 – building a picture of a year in Tyria
The #GW2Project365 on Twitter
Proudly representing The Legion of Honour [XIII] on Tarnished Coast

(edited by Lexy.3912)

Lexy.3912

Commonly missed and newly added explorer areas

Krytan Explorer
[Includes: Divinity’s Reach, Lion’s Arch, Queensdale, Kessex Hills, Gendarran Fields, Harathi Hinterlands, Bloodtide Coast and Claw Island]
QueensdaleDemongrub Pits; Beggar’s Burrow; Windloss Delves
Gendarran FieldsProvernic Crypt
Harathi HinterlandsHidden Ourobon; Ourobore Caves
Bloodtide CoastMomoztli Grounds
Claw IslandClaw Island has four points of interest and this map can only be reached by undertaking your personal story at level 51.

Maguuma Explorer
[Includes: The Grove, Rata Sum, Caledon Forest, Metrica Province, Brisban Wildlands, Sparkfly Fen and Mount Maelstrom]
Caledon ForestThe Rowanwoods; Dreamdark Enclave
Metrica ProvinceInquest Outer Complex; The Serpentwind; Calx’s Hideout
Brisban WildlandsProxemics Lab (added Feb 2013); Aurora’s Remains
Sparkfly FenVerarium Delves; Shimmerstone Cave
Mount MaelstromDierdre’s Steps; Magmatic Conjury; Ungent Den; Cubular Fells

Shiverpeak Explorer
[Includes: Hoelbrak, Wayfarer Foothills, Snowden Drifts, Lornar’s Pass, Dredgehaunt Cliffs, Timberline Falls and Frostgorge Sound]
Wayfarer FoothillsShamans Rookery; Doldenvan Passage; Cragstead (added Mar 2013)
Snowden DriftsAngvar’s Trove (added Mar 2013)
Lornar’s PassGriffonrook Run
Dredgehaunt CliffsUlukk’s Hunger; Forsaken Halls (added Oct 2012); Tribulation Caverns; De Molish Post
Timberline FallsSector Zuhl; Tail of the Serpent; Lair of the Coil

Ascalon Explorer
[Includes: Black Citadel, Plains of Ashford, Diessa Plateau, Fields of Ruin, Blazeridge Steppes, Iron Marches and Fireheart Rise]
Plains of AshfordLangmar Estate (added Feb 2013)
Diessa PlateauThe Wurm’s Gullet
Fields of RuinLast Stand Shelter
Blazeridge SteppesAgrak Kraal
Fireheart RiseRebel’s Seclusion; Vexa’s Lab

Orr Explorer
[Includes: Straits of Devastation, Malchor’s Leap and Cursed Shore]
Straits of DevastationZho’qafa Catacombs; Sea of Elon
Cursed ShoreThe Artesian Waters

(edited by Lexy.3912)

Lexy.3912

Map Completion Content added since launch
[Key: POI – Point of Interest; WP – Waypoint]

March 2014Wreckage of the Breachmaker (POI & Vista – Lion’s Arch, Sanctum Harbor)
February 2014Lion’s Shadow Inn (POI – Lion’s Arch, Postern Ward)
January 2014False River (WP-Lornar’s Pass)
October 2013Haunted Nolani (WP–Black Citadel); Thunder Ridge Camp (POI-Kessex Hills)
June 2013Second Aetherblade Site (POI-Gendarran Fields); The Dead End (POI-Divinity’s Reach)
March 2013Angvar’s Trove (WP–Snowden Drifts); Rugnar’s Steading (POI–Wayfarer Foothills); North Nolan Hatchery (POI-Diessa Plateau)
February 2013Langmar Estate (WP-Plains of Ashford); Proxemic’s Lab (WP-Brisban Wildlands)
January 2013Shipwreck Rock (WP-Cursed Shore); Dire Shoal (WP-Straits of Devastation)
November 2012Macha’s Landing (POI–Lion’s Arch); Consortium Gift Shop (POI-Lion’s Arch)

Other changes of note

January 2014 – Lornar’s Pass – Maw’s Rise POI was replaced by Marionette’s Landing (as part of the Origins of Madness Living Story patch)

If anyone else can think of anything else that needs adding to this, through your own experience or advice in previous threads please post below and I’ll edit. If people think it would be useful please link this thread to any new explorer/map completion questions posted on the forum.

(edited by Lexy.3912)

Posted by: mercury ranique.2170

mercury ranique.2170

I think that shiverstone caves in sparkfly fen should be listed as well. The undiscovered artwork is a bit hard to see, no map exploration elements in it and no common place to go to

Arise, ye farmers of all nations
Arise, opressed of Tyria!

Posted by: CountzuCrytus.7256

CountzuCrytus.7256

Great guide, im sure it will help lots of people. Sticky plz?

mercury ranique.2170

Juist a small note. Marionette’s landing has only be renamed, the ingame code is still the same, so you don’t have to rediscover it. If you got Maw’s Rise you also got Marionette’s landing. if you didnt got the firts, you wont have the second. So it shouldnt be on the list.

Lexy.3912

@Mercury ranique – thanks for the suggestions, I’ve amended accordingly.

Posted by: GodWood.2596

GodWood.2596

Hi there nice post here. i was able to complete most of it but i am still missing one maguuma explorer part.
i already re-visited all the areas liste here and in the wiki but i am still stuck at 166/167
i have 100% completion on ALL maps.

is this a bug? or am i really missing something?

Lexy.3912

@GodWood – a last ditch solution is to cross check your Maguuma maps against this list

The areas are listed according to their position on the map, so if you start in the top left of the map and read left to right, top to bottom, they should be in order. You don’t need to physically visit each area, just open your world map and zoom into the first Maguuma map until the white-named areas appear, then check them against the list linked above. If you have all the white-named areas move on to the next Maguuma map and repeat.

This is a time consuming process but if you are down to just one missing area and it isn’t one of the commonly missed ones listed above then its the only way I know to do it.

Good luck

Posted by: Sacrai.6280

Sacrai.6280

Just a quick warning to add for the next days, there seems to be a bug with map completion if you finish your 100% map exploration by one of the two new POI of Lion Arch, preventing you from getting your last reward (gift of exploration being the biggest problem). So if you’re exploring only for the sake of the gift, make sure you don’t finish your map exploration by those two.

[LAGS] Sacraï – Roche de l’Augure[FR]

mercury ranique.2170

Just a quick warning to add for the next days, there seems to be a bug with map completion if you finish your 100% map exploration by one of the two new POI of Lion Arch, preventing you from getting your last reward (gift of exploration being the biggest problem). So if you’re exploring only for the sake of the gift, make sure you don’t finish your map exploration by those two.

I think this is wrong information. Yes there is a bug. I do not think it has to do with a specific point doing last and there are no indications it is.

If you hit this bug, please see the thread in the bug sections. you can make a support ticket and support will solve it for you.

Posted by: Sacrai.6280

Sacrai.6280

I think this is wrong information. Yes there is a bug. I do not think it has to do with a specific point doing last and there are no indications it is.

If you hit this bug, please see the thread in the bug sections. you can make a support ticket and support will solve it for you.

One of my guildie did and that’s as many information as he could get, sorry if I scared anyone. The thread you mention seems to confirm what I say though as all the people complaining ended their exploration by LA.

[LAGS] Sacraï – Roche de l’Augure[FR]

(edited by Sacrai.6280)

Posted by: GodWood.2596

GodWood.2596

@GodWood – a last ditch solution is to cross check your Maguuma maps against this list

The areas are listed according to their position on the map, so if you start in the top left of the map and read left to right, top to bottom, they should be in order. You don’t need to physically visit each area, just open your world map and zoom into the first Maguuma map until the white-named areas appear, then check them against the list linked above. If you have all the white-named areas move on to the next Maguuma map and repeat.

This is a time consuming process but if you are down to just one missing area and it isn’t one of the commonly missed ones listed above then its the only way I know to do it.

Good luck

thx will try that. and IF i am able to complete it i will post the location that was missing

Posted by: Aerinndis.2730

Aerinndis.2730

Ditto on making this a sticky! Excellent guide for anyone who wants to go for Map Completion/Exploration.

Lexy.3912

Just bumping this as its been updated with some new map completion areas added to the game and also I’ve seen a few posts asking for help with explorer/world completion in game.

Posted by: Black Panther.3150

Black Panther.3150

I have all Areas of on the list for Orr, but I am still missing one area. I have 1 area missing. I am unsure as to where to look now.

Posted by: Lazuli.2098

Lazuli.2098

I have all Areas of on the list for Orr, but I am still missing one area. I have 1 area missing. I am unsure as to where to look now.

In Cursed Shore you probably need to visit The Artesian Waters. From the Cathederal of Verdance POI go toward the back heading east and jump in the water. Keeping going east-northeast.

Posted by: Mr Niice.2307

Mr Niice.2307

Awesome, awesome, awesome really thanks!

~ Cerum

Posted by: metaldude.4132

metaldude.4132

It has gotten a lot easier..the pointer on your upper right guides you to all things you missed

Sharpen your justice. Dust off resolve. Brace your courage. The Guardian dragonhunter approaches.