Had a rough time last night

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Lankybrit.4598

Lankybrit.4598

Hi,

Thought I’d try to progess my level 80 Warrior a bit last night.

Started off in LA, and joined a group for a dungeon. The WP was in Orr, and I didn’t have it yet, so I went to Straits of Dev and stared working towards it, but didn’t get the popup (thanks Arenanet) when others entered the dungeon, and then the group fell apart.

So, decided to do my Personal Story (level 75 Malchor’s Leap), but saw that someone wanted help in a Skill Point, so went to help out. But, they weren’t there, so I decided to try to down the Veteran on my own. But I had to run away when adds spawned.

OK, dinner time.

When I got back on, I asked for help with the SP, but no one answered. Asked again, still no response. So, I went off to do my PS. BTW, later I realized that I had two chat windows active (a Map one, and a Whisper one), so I didn’t even see the whispers to me offering to help (thanks again Arenanet).

In the PS, things were going fine, moving from platform to platform, but then a Champion Risen Abomination showed up, and wiped out the NPCs, and then me. I checkpointed back in, but the NPCs were gone, and it had reset a bit, so all the other mobs were back as well (thanks again Arenanet). So, hopped back to LA.

Tried to get in an any Story mode dungeon, but no takers. Doing a bit of LA exploration and came across a jumping puzzle. Googled it and saw how to do it. Things were going fine until I came across some tough jumps in the cave, and just couldn’t make them, time after time after time. I gave up when no takers for dungeons, and I couldn’t make the jumps for about an hour.

Googled the PS and saw there was no Risen Abomination in the walkthrough, so decided to try again. Moved from platform to platform fine, and realized that the RA was just patrolling, and you just had to stay away from him. Got to the last part of the PS, and had to fight about 50 risen and a boss. NPCs were dying, but I nearly got it, killing all the others and getting the boss down to 10%. I feared the worst with some reset, but after checkpointing in, the boss was right there with 10% health. Finally completed it, but of course got some loot reward I couldn’t even use (thanks again Arenanet).

So, all in all, a very frustrating experience. I think I’ll do some Map Completion in low level zones or level an Alt tonight to try to get some of the fun back for me.

Oh, and before you say L2P noob, I know I have to.

Cheers.

My Life in Tyria: http://lankygw2blog.blogspot.com/
Updated every Monday

Posted by: Ethics.4519

Ethics.4519

I can understand why you’re frustrated, but honestly I don’t think it’s warranted. I imagine you just come here to blow off some steam and get it out of your system, so I’ll just leave it alone with one thing: I love a game that has several different ways of leveling up.

RIP in peace Robert

Posted by: oneleggedpony.8531

oneleggedpony.8531

Heya lankybrit, sorry to hear you had a bad time today. If you haven’t already, it might be worth looking for like minded people to join up with in a guild.

It can take a long time to find a group of players that are;

A) Into the same areas of the game as you, PvP, SPvP, WvW, PvE etc

B) Available play times, ideally need to match up so you’re not missing out on grouping because of different schedules.

C) Need to have a good raport, so that you are not just joining for joinings sake, but rather because you can see yourself enjoying your playtime together.

The above sounds simple enough but it can be hard to find. I’d recommend it though. my guild is small and we often only have 2-3 people on at times because of timezones. However there are days when everyone is free and we can run dungeons and world vs world together with 5-10 players.

The main problem is that guilds can be created by anybody and everyones curiosity about them leads to alot of 1-2 person guilds that players create to see options available to them.

Advice bit:

Check to see if there is an unofficial forum for your server and look at guild recruitment posts. See if there are others that share your goals in game and sign up.

Alot of guilds these days use team speak, mumble, ventrillo etc. Any form of internet voice comms. Some people don’t like them but i’d strongly advise getting used to them if you haven’t tried them before. They make communications in game so much simpler and more enjoyable from my experience.

TL;DR

In the nicest way possible find a guild. It’s hard to find the right one but when you do your guildies tend to be one of the stronger reasons for continuing with the game.

Lankybrit.4598

Well, thanks for that, OLP, but that’s just not for me.

I’m a bit of a loner. I had personal guilds in WoW, and have a personal guild in GW2. I like doing my own stuff, and just grouping when necessary. The only part that guild would have helped with was going to a dungeon (and the Skill Point I guess). But the other stuff (JP and PS) was just my ineptitude and frustrating game mechanics.

Cheers.

Updated every Monday

Posted by: CrassBippy.4619

CrassBippy.4619

Go run ascalonians catacombs, 70% lvl per run. Easy peasy

Bi Furious [Fist] YB

Posted by: oneleggedpony.8531

oneleggedpony.8531

Well, thanks for that, OLP, but that’s just not for me.

I’m a bit of a loner. I had personal guilds in WoW, and have a personal guild in GW2. I like doing my own stuff, and just grouping when necessary. The only part that guild would have helped with was going to a dungeon (and the Skill Point I guess). But the other stuff (JP and PS) was just my ineptitude and frustrating game mechanics.

Cheers.

No worries, you’re missing out though.

To anyone else reading the post having similar issues, I hope the advise was helpful

Lankybrit.4598

You mean solo it, or get a group for it?

I was trying to get a group for it with no luck at all.

Cheers.

Updated every Monday

Ethics.4519

You mean solo it, or get a group for it?

I was trying to get a group for it with no luck at all.

Cheers.

I find that surprising if you were using GW2LFG.com

Also, I know you said guilds aren’t for you, but they are a little different in this game. It’s nice because you can join multiple guilds. Heck, you could just turn off guild chat unless you needed something. Represent them, pop in, ask if anybody wants to do AC exp, then represent a different one and ask there. Just a suggestion, good luck!

RIP in peace Robert

Lankybrit.4598

Hmm interesting site.

I just checked it out. Only one request for AC story right now, and absolutely tons for AC Exp. I guess I could just do AC Exp.

Why they don’t have an LFD tool in this game is totally mind-blowing.

BTW: Thanks for the tip about multiple guilds. I had no idea.

Cheers.

Updated every Monday

Ethics.4519

Np, glad I could help. My apologies, I didn’t realize it was AC story, not AC exp. That makes a lot more sense =). Best of luck!

RIP in peace Robert

Posted by: Gord.8654

Gord.8654

Sorry to the OP but most of the stuff (aside from poopie loot) is not Anets fault. This is an MMO, Orr is not meant to solo ever. It stinks but it’s fact. I understand where you’re coming from I have had similar experiences but they were mainly my fault thanks to rushing.

There is a solution for everything you listed. Patience, practice, and Google/Wiki. I hope tonight is better for you!

Host of SOTD Podcast www.sotdpodcastblog.wordpress.com

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

Sorry to the OP but most of the stuff (aside from poopie loot) is not Anets fault. This is an MMO, Orr is not meant to solo ever. It stinks but it’s fact. I understand where you’re coming from I have had similar experiences but they were mainly my fault thanks to rushing.

There is a solution for everything you listed. Patience, practice, and Google/Wiki. I hope tonight is better for you!

I agree, he’s just blaming Arenanet for his own shortcomings. That’s just childish. Take responsibility for once.

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

I agree, he’s just blaming Arenanet for his own shortcomings. That’s just childish. Take responsibility for once.

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

Lankybrit.4598

So, who’s fault is it that I didn’t get a popup when others in the group entered a dungeon? Who’s fault is it that I didn’t get whispers in my map chat because I had a whisper window (well, I guess that was my fault a bit). Who’s fault was it that all the NPCs dis-appeared after I checkpointed?

And, did you read what I read? I never said anything in Orr was problem. I didn’t have a problem with not being able to solo a Skill Point. I know I needed help with it.

Anyway, as always, the GW2 community has shown itself to be really great and helpful with their comments here (except you and Vol).

Cheers.

Updated every Monday

Posted by: Kinglette.4906

Kinglette.4906

pop up failed for you
you changed your chat box and ignored players that were willing to help you
npcs disappeared when you failed a mission
two out of three are your fault. now that you know about the group finder i hope you can find groups but really dont complain about it being hard when you wont join a guild? first time i have seen a post where some one cries that its hard to group but admits they dont play with people.
There are mmo’s out there that cater for non social players please do not get this game changed to be like that

80 Guardian, 80 Warrior, 80 Thief
[AVTR] FA

Posted by: Recycle.5493

Recycle.5493

Let’s start breaking it down one by one.

Started off in LA, and joined a group for a dungeon. The WP was in Orr, and I didn’t have it yet, so I went to Straits of Dev and stared working towards it.

So you joined a party without having the waypoint, which is at the deepest part of Orr, that will take you about 20 minutes to get to from Straits of Devastation.

but didn’t get the popup (thanks Arenanet) when others entered the dungeon, and then the group fell apart.

First, pop-ups only and only if you are in the same map as the party member who have gone into the dungeon, when you are not in the same map as the person, you will not get it. Second, a party doesn’t just “fall apart,” as there are only 2 ways of member leaving the party. First, the members leave by themselves, second, 2 members vote off another member. In this situation, it is more than likely that your party simply cannot wait any longer for you, who does not even have the waypoint, to slowly run there and voted you off the team and proceeded to find another member.

When I got back on, I asked for help with the SP, but no one answered. Asked again, still no response. So, I went off to do my PS. BTW, later I realized that I had two chat windows active (a Map one, and a Whisper one), so I didn’t even see the whispers to me offering to help (thanks again Arenanet).

Chat window are fully optional on showing map, party, guild, whispers, and so on. You can even create a tab which contains all the things including combat-log and emotes. For someone at your level and gameplay time, it is your fault and your fault only for not having the right tab.

For personal story quests, they have always been buggy, so I don’t really blame you. I have had many frustrated moments with them myself.

Oh, and before you say L2P noob, I know I have to.

At least you know, that’s a good start.

Lankybrit.4598

Thanks Recycle for making me aware of a couple of things I didn’t know. I had no clue about popups, and the whisper thing was pretty stupid on my part. I just can’t get used to the chat system in this game at all. If I select more than one thing, I can’t seem to control what it sets it to when I type. So, that’s why I’m using different tabs. But I realize now not to do it for whispers.

Cheers.

Updated every Monday

Posted by: Recycle.5493

Recycle.5493

There’s a up-side-down triangle on the tab that you have on, press it to see a list of options. The “flash on message” doesn’t work now since…… forever.

Attachments:

Posted by: CassieGold.7460

CassieGold.7460

Sorry to hear you had a rough time, hope you have a better go in future nights. I did want to mention something that I didn’t see mentioned yet (may have missed it.)

About pop-ups when the party goes into a dungeon: You have to be in the same zone as the dungeon. If it was a dungeon on Orr, then it’s Arah, and that’s in Cursed Shore, so if the party zoned in to Shore and you’re in Straits or Leap, you’re not going to see a popup. You will however get a popup when you get to Cursed Shore letting you join the party in the instance.

For doing dungeons, something I suggest is sitting down and taking a little time to get all the dungeon waypoints. I do this when I finish leveling an alt, before I go into dungeons (actually, I do this around lvl 75 or so, because the exploration XP usually gets me a level.) Check out each of the dungeons and get the waypoints for them, also know that Citadel of Flame and Crucible of Eternity have waypoints that become contested (so does Arah), so you may want to get a near-by waypoint to help with the events to unlock the dungeon.

Good luck to you out there, I hope that a rough night doesn’t discourage you from enjoying the rest of a great game!

LVL 80’s: Thief / Warrior / Guardian / Mesmer

Posted by: Mag Li.2581

Mag Li.2581

Many users have great tips for the OP.

It may also help with chat to know the short hand for each channel.
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Chat

Mag Li [Oxy]
Part 1/2 of a dynamic duo

Posted by: Dan.8709

Dan.8709

I’m sorry to hear about the bad gameplay day you had, but one tip for now and onwards: when you don’t get the pop up window for a dungeon, even though you are on the map, just esc > character select and enter again, it will show up, I know it wasn’t the case here, but to fix future possible issues, do that.

And do utilize gwlfg.com, it’s incredible and awesome, you’ll even get all the story modes done in no time, just will take a lot more to get a party and you may have to start one yourself, but in 30min max you’ll probably be able to do it.

Good luck and have fun.

Daniel Cousland – Darkhaven

Posted by: Gord.8654

Gord.8654

So, who’s fault is it that I didn’t get a popup when others in the group entered a dungeon? Who’s fault is it that I didn’t get whispers in my map chat because I had a whisper window (well, I guess that was my fault a bit). Who’s fault was it that all the NPCs dis-appeared after I checkpointed?

And, did you read what I read? I never said anything in Orr was problem. I didn’t have a problem with not being able to solo a Skill Point. I know I needed help with it.

Anyway, as always, the GW2 community has shown itself to be really great and helpful with their comments here (except you and Vol).

Cheers.

Not trying to offend you at all I have had the same frustrations
Although I didn’t touch on all of your points I feel that if you slowed down a bit it wouldn’t have been bad. The biggest thing that stuck out to me is that you want to play an MMO alone. There are huge bugs in the game right now and that is frustrating. The way I dealt with it was make my goals long term (patience) L2P, cause everyone is a noob at one time (practice) and follow updates (Google/Wiki). It worked for me maybe it can work for you too.

Host of SOTD Podcast www.sotdpodcastblog.wordpress.com

Posted by: Lipin.7529

Lipin.7529

Actually, most parts of your experience suggests to me that you haven’t played the game much. If you can’t get to Arah, I don’t even think u can complete it. I soloed every sp myself. But the game just gets better. Give it some time OP.

Lankybrit.4598

Thanks all for the tips.

This story has a happy ending.

Last night, I decided to try out Southsun Shore and see what it was like. It was tough running through Karka, but I did manage to get some great crafting mats, and two passifloras in a row gave me Unidentified Dyes. Then, I decided I was dying just a little too much so went back to LA to see what was on offer dungeon wise.

I got in a FOTM level 1 group. We had a blast. I told them about gw2lfg.com and we got one member from there. We did the Volcano, and the Icy one. Then one person DCed, and we decided to call it a night. But we all agreed it was a blast.

Thanks again everyone.

EDIT: BTW – I finally figured out the chat system. You can change where your text ends up by right clicking in the little box to the left of where you type. Now I have one chat with Map, Party, and Whisper, and am a happy little camper.
Cheers.

Updated every Monday

(edited by Lankybrit.4598)

Posted by: Dan.8709

Dan.8709

I’m glad to hear that =D Keep having fun and discovering the game, there’s always stuff we don’t know yet that can improve our experience!
Cheers.

Daniel Cousland – Darkhaven

Posted by: martyrius.8957

martyrius.8957

Blaming areanet is a bit much -for those reasons- just be more aware of things

80 necro main. 80 mesmer. 80 guardian. 80 thief. 45 elementalist i’m just too lazy.