Having a REALLY hard time to pick a class!

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Acantha.8634

Acantha.8634

Q:

Greetings everyone!

I know this question has ben asked more than most of you like, and even though I’ve nearly searched and read every topic, I still have a really hard time on which class I should actively play.

I like a class that is engaging and which keeps one wondering about the beautiful playstyle it has while fighting (beautiful skill graphics make it so I won’t get bored of seeing the same thing over and over again), but not one that needs a master degree to work it right (like an engineer, where you actually need to be a master in engineering to play it to it’s full potential). I like to burst down an opponent while still being tanky myself or having skills that mak me evade damage.

I also like a class that has some AoE to deal with trash mobs but can handle itself also good in a 1v1 encounter in things like PvP. In other games I’ve always liked the the supportive kind of play, being able to help others while still holding my own in 1v1 and solo PvE content. For example: In Tera I liked the Priest and Mystic kind of gameplay, being responsible for healing everyone while debuffing the mobs.

In SMITE I always liked to play mid mages like Thoth, Nu Wa, Ra and Aphrodite.

I’m also terribad at dodging when playing close range, so a class that plays safe while still not being too braindead would also be nice.

I’ll start by ordering some classes that come to mind, so please do give your opinion for someone who doesn’t have a single class at lvl 80. These are just some examples, if you have other ideas about a class that would fit me then please do say so :

Mesmer: I really love this kind of playstle! With a sword and a focus in hand and a staff as second weapon (LOVE the staff!) to escape in nearly every pinch! The low damage doesn’t bother me because I love how it plays, but the thing scaring me is how everyone says it’ll be difficult later with the elite spec. It looks so much fun at the early levels, but hearing how much of a pain and how hard it’ll be later on makes me scared to play this.

Elementalist: Again, another eye candy. But also here stuff about how you have to play piano to not die from a breeze scares me. And I never know which attunement to stay in (using dagger/focus). I know lightning 1 is main source of AA damage while switching between it’s offensive skills and fire (dragon’s breath + fire 3), switch to water when need to slow the target or heal, but earth always leaves me confused when and how to use it in pve (unless I need something to deflect projectiles). Also I have no idea of even a general rotation for solo PvE. Staff looks much easier, but I heard that it’ll be useless compared to dagger when doing 1v1.

Guardian: Playing with sw/sh + GS, like the play but I always feel like I lack the skills/knowledge of how and when to dodge when my blindness skills are on CD.

The staff also appeals to me for support reasons, but is unfortunaly a lackluster while playing solo.

Sorry for the wall of text, and I know I’m being a difficult customer here. But I would really appreciate it if someone could help me any further!

Thank you very much for the effort in advance!

Sincerely

Acantha

(edited by Acantha.8634)

Posted by: Rammax.7263

Rammax.7263

Hey, I know exactly where you’re coming from, as I’ve had the hardest time deciding on a class too. To start off, my main recommendation would be guardian. I’ve always had a good time with guardian and have always found that they have a great mix of burst, tankiness, and aoe, along with many other utilities and dps. Also for this class, they have many block skills (i.e. Aegis), which will help limit your dodging (although dodging is very good in this game and you should practice or use it more). Ele is a fun class to play and there are many builds and guides out there to help you stay alive longer and know what to do. I would also recommend necro, as they have a lon of cool looking abilities amd are rather tanky, as they have their shroud which basically goves them an extra health bar. I don’t know much about mesmer, but I will say if this is the class you enjoy the most, play it, and don’t worry about the other thigs people will say it will be, as you will learn the class over time and they won’t be an issue (same goes for every other class). Hope this helps!

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

Well not sure why you made a second topic, but:

Based on your criteria, anything will work, and it seems like you’ve realized that as well.

Make 4 (or however many slots you have) of the professions you enjoy and maybe eventually one will settle as your main. My main changed several times before I found ranger and stuck with it for years.

Posted by: FairyNuff.3452

FairyNuff.3452

If you like staying at range you could try the ranger using the longbow? You even get a pet that in PVE can tank for you.

Posted by: Draxx.8247

Draxx.8247

It sounds like you want to do everything at once. This is not how GW2 works. Many classes are flexible enough to do multiple roles, but to optimize per role, this can include specialized gear stats and trait choices.

So if you have multiple sets of gear, which can be expensive, you can swap your traits around, and be able to quickly change the role your character is best at. You may be able to find a middle of the ground spec that is pretty good at a lot of things, but you’ll still lose at 1v1 when the other player is heavily specialized for 1v1 and you are a generalist spec. That player sacrificed their large group / utility for the ability to win 1v1 (with skill).

If you want to get good at a specific playtype and playstyle, watch youtube videos or strategy guides for that particular type of play.

Heavy armor classes and Necros have some builtin tankiness that can be increased on depending on the stats you choose (don’t expect to be tanky in zerker gear), so you could start with one of those as you figure out what playstyle you want to go with.

Posted by: Itz Jay.8941

Itz Jay.8941

Personally I think you should play every class in sPVP first, that way you’ll get a good feeling of what they are all like, especially as you will be able to use HoT specs without unlocking them. In the meantime you will gain tomes of knowledge and free exotic zerker gear when you decide which class you want to main.

I found through playing sPVP that I love every class, I have warrior and theif in full ascended and my next ascended set is sat in the bank ready for my mesmer when I finish runes of leadership.

The more I play gw2 the more I realise its encouragement to play different classes, and if you do T4 fractals every day you’ll soon build up ascended sets to max them out.

Posted by: Coronit.9432

Coronit.9432

If you want to know optimal rotations you should look into the qT-guild website. Good guides but could be a bit confusing to you.

You could try engi as well. Not a supportive type in pve, but is decent 1vs1 in pvp, good support, interesting mechanics (core engi is more difficult to play than scrapper → very high damage in raids and needs a lot of work to deliver that).
Engi was always considered good in everything, master of none. A good engi/scrapper is awaesome.

Thief for Live – Noc
Pls more Noc-Noc-Jokes…
How to counter Unrelenting Assault… Not anymore :<