Health feels like it doesn't exist.

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Pilusilm.5682

Pilusilm.5682

So I’m playing a guardian and I’m level 16 and I feel like I have no health, this was since level 1. Regardless of who or what I fight I get hit once or twice and my health just goes down by 70% like I’m made of paper mache. I’ve played tons of mmos before this but only here I’ve noticed the lack of health. Not that I die a lot but just the whole “Oh, you fight a wolf that’s your level and he hits you once before you kill him but he still takes 70% of your hp off.” is very annoying. Health regenerates fast but I’d prefer it if I didn’t lose majority of it by fighting any mob.
Please, no fanboy replies such as “GW2 isn’t like any other mmo.”

Posted by: penatbater.4710

penatbater.4710

wait till you get to around 30+ oh and guardians really have no health, like really they have the least bit of health compared to other classes (along with ele, which are probably gonna be worse of since they can only wear light armor, oh and thieves as well).

I’m not sure where I saw this but
Guardian/ele/thief – 10.8k hp (at lvl 80, base)
eng/ranger/mesmer – 14.something K hp
warrior/necro – 18k-something hp.

more or less. well you get the point. btw maybe you have lower level armor?

Don’t disturb me, I have a cat in me at the moment.

Posted by: Himori.2109

Himori.2109

Fellow guardian player here. I can agree with above that we do have very little health, but what I’ve done is statted for survivability, and now it’s not often that I will go down. If you aren’t bothered about having a lower damage output then surviving is made easy :p otherwise you should change classes now before you put lots of time into it.

Pilusilm.5682

My armor is ok for my level, not the best but it should suffice. So you’re basically kittened for health until 30+? That sounds like horrible design :/
I was under the impression that the word “guardian” stands for something that can take a few hits before going down. Hopefully they will patch it to make it a bit less frustrating. I’d rather not lose all my damage to survive another 2 hits.

Posted by: Himori.2109

Himori.2109

Your health stays pretty low for the entire thing. Stack toughness and vitality to see yourself survive for ages, otherwise you will die alot, you can’t pick guardian and expect it to be unable to die from the very beginning, all it is is a class name. Or atleast that sounds like what you were expecting.

Pilusilm.5682

I didn’t mention that I wanted to be immortal, I was just curious if I’ll ever get an actual health pool that doesn’t vanish in a hit from anything.

Posted by: Khezekiah Bellamy.5016

Khezekiah Bellamy.5016

guardians have the least health in game(along with elementalist). http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Health

Posted by: Adine.2184

Adine.2184

The thing about the guardian though is despite the lack of health you have a lot of defensive skills and traits to buff yourself which somewhat makes up for it .

Posted by: GummiBear.2756

GummiBear.2756

Not to mention get aegis (blocks next attack) every 40 sec from one of their virtues and another that get them a health regen (in combat too), and yeah a tons of defensive skills, ogg and sorry to say but this is not like other mmo’s where some classes can just tank and spank for eternity, no matter waht class be it ele or guardian you will have to ACTIVELY dodge enemy hits from time to time

Posted by: DarkMonk.4531

DarkMonk.4531

I`m at a loss. I`ve played Engineer, Elementalist, Ranger and a Warrior. In comparison to them my Guardian is an unkillable mob-grinding machine. What do I do wrong?

Posted by: Ravina Gray.4719

Ravina Gray.4719

I`m at a loss. I`ve played Engineer, Elementalist, Ranger and a Warrior. In comparison to them my Guardian is an unkillable mob-grinding machine. What do I do wrong?

LOL exactly! I feel the same (after Ranger, Ele, Mesmer) am wondering why Guardians need health…. O>O

Posted by: andybmcc.8751

andybmcc.8751

If you want to be a bit more tanky while leveling, try a hammer. You’ll have a really good protection uptime, which is 33% damage reduction. Also take a look at your shouts. I’d at least get “Hold the Line” for leveling. It’s extra protection and regen. “Stand Your Ground” becomes really good later on too ( stability is boss ).

Posted by: Ten.8421

Ten.8421

No, the word ‘guardian’ refers to actively ‘guarding’, yourself and your teammates.

I understand how you feel this way. Ending even the quickest easiest fight with still having lost half your health feels wasteful and ineffective. It’s not what we’re used to as gamers… losing as little of our own HP as possible is something we’re used to consider a measurement of our progress/power.
You will have to get used to this feeling… it’s by design. Healing ourselves all over the place, losing HP every time we fight, that’s what the game is balanced for and built on. You will always have low HP and you will always lose them comparatively quickly… but unlike everywhere else, here that’s not a sign that something is wrong with your playstyle.

If you absolutely cannot get yourself to get used to looking at your health this way (which is perfectly okay, many people don’t enjoy feeling like they’re at the edge of losing every single fight), you might have more fun playing a ranged profession?

Gamut Gaming Group [GGG], an inclusive non-oppression, non-prejudice, non-normativity group.

Pilusilm.5682

That’s my gripe here. Melee characters are always get hit more and that’s the reason why they should be given more health. This just works. Has nothing to do with mmos. Every melee character that isn’t a thief who can stealth and run away needs more health just for the reason that they are in melee range all the time. I hope that I’ll get used to it but using a 2h sword doesn’t really come with a lot of defensive buffs and at my level all of the defensive stuff is useless. Makes no difference at all and I’m not going to hit and run cause that’s just a huge waste of time.

Posted by: PythianLegume.4539

PythianLegume.4539

Using a greatsword with a guardian allows for plenty of defensive skills. You can open with a leap that blinds, if you spec 5 into radiance you have another blind on-demand, if you use retreat as a utility you have two aegis applications on demand. Have a mace and focus as your second weapon set and you have 2 blocks and a blind on that weapon set. Using this set-up, you can take on most enemies without taking a hit.