Help Choosing the Most Complex Class

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: CrazedJediWannabe.3019

CrazedJediWannabe.3019

I’ve been an MMO player for years, and I’m going to be making my first GW2 character today. I’m interested in everyone’s opinion on which class is the most complex from an abilities standpoint. I don’t care if it does the best damage, control, or support. I do care that it doesn’t spam one or two buttons.

In other words, what class requires the most ability management to be at it’s most effective? What class has the most abilities that synergize with each other, so comboing them together is more effective than just spamming various damage abilities as they come off cooldown? Put even more simply, which class wants to push the most buttons to be at its best?

I want to pick a class that will keep me involved as I play it. Spent too may years playing too many MMOs spamming too many spells to have much patience for simple play-styles anymore. Thanks for any advice.

Posted by: gimmethegepgun.1284

gimmethegepgun.1284

Elementalist and Engineer are your choices. All elementalists have 25 skills at their disposal, unlike most others who have 15, and have a lot of combo fields and combo finishers (though the finishers are almost all in Earth).
Engineers can have up to 30 skills available if they run with 4 kits (though note that 3 of the Medkit skills are identical) (not counting the kits themselves as skills since they do nothing). Synergy in skills is a little harder to come by since they don’t exactly have all that many finishers. However, the 1s recharge on their swaps, unlike everyone else, enables kit dancing, which can allow some pretty ridiculous combos if you know everything at your disposal.

CrazedJediWannabe.3019

Thanks gimme. Are both of those classes considered viable in PvE and PvP?

Posted by: gimmethegepgun.1284

gimmethegepgun.1284

Ele yes, engy less so. Mainly because 2 categories of engineer’s skills, gadgets and turrets, are basically awful. Everyone runs with kits or elixirs. And if you use only kits in PvP you have no stunbreaker, which is basically a death sentence, and poor condition removal, which is also pretty well a death sentence. So in PvP everyone runs elixirs, which aren’t complicated whatsoever. Possibly combined with Grenades, but still not complicated.

CrazedJediWannabe.3019

Cool, sounds like Ele will be a good class to see what this game has to offer.

Posted by: Uther Deathhand.1570

Uther Deathhand.1570

Yeah from your post i would definitely say elementalist or engineer. Eles have 4 attunements that change the 5 weapon skill that you have so lots of possibilities. With the engineer as gimme said you get kits that give you 5 new weapon skills. i would say try both out and see what you like more. Just so you know the first 15 levels are gotten faster then the other 65. As in they take less experience to get so starting out should go fast.

Work for a cause, not for applause.
Live life to express, not to impress.
Don’t strive to make your presence noticed, just make your absence felt. ~ unknown

Posted by: GreenNekoHaunt.8527

GreenNekoHaunt.8527

Honestly.. Elementalist is not a complex class. It’s a simple class. You just have a lot of button mashing and some activity on dodging or running away from the aggro if not enough defense or heal.

Honestly.. Elementalist is not a complex class. It’s a simple class. You just have a lot of button mashing and some activity on dodging or running away from the aggro if not enough defense or heal.I find mesmer and thief difficult.

Honestly.. Elementalist is not a complex class. It’s a simple class. You just have a lot of button mashing and some activity on dodging or running away from the aggro if not enough defense or heal.I find mesmer and thief difficult.Sure you can kill some monsters as Mesmer but if you really want to confuse your enemies you need some serious skill. Same with thief. As thief you can be down quite swiftly but here again with some skill enemies never even hit you.

Gamer & Developer; Playing games is part of making games! Gather experience and make games!

Posted by: Isaac.6041

Isaac.6041

I think warrior is actually the most complex class. They have access to the most weapon sets overall. Even though most warriors use greatsword for obvious reasons.

Elementalist and engineer are ok but are not as fun to play compared to warrior imo.

Posted by: Turkashi.4502

Turkashi.4502

Thanks gimme. Are both of those classes considered viable in PvE and PvP?

They both got nerfed last patch, so it’s suppose to be a supprior PVP classes :P

I’d say ele is a complex class, but (I’m a main ele player) once you’re used to it, it’s nothing more then switching attuement (F1-F4) on the correct time with the correct attuement.

Starting from my MMO live I already hate medium classes. So I’d say thief due their limited attack in a x time interfal: they use some sort of exhaust, I compair it with mana, which can be used. And unable to continue your skills.

The 2 heavies are imo the faceroll zerg classes. once you’re sure which wapon you prefer then mobs goes down like butters.

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

I think warrior is actually the most complex class. They have access to the most weapon sets overall. Even though most warriors use greatsword for obvious reasons.

Elementalist and engineer are ok but are not as fun to play compared to warrior imo.

Lol no. Warrior has many weapon options, but you can only have 2 weapon sets at a time. Plus, the utilities are mostly just stat boosters. Engineers & Elementalists have access to large number of skills at any given moment and it’s necessary to utilize them all to be the most effective.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

Posted by: KICKER.3874

KICKER.3874

Really? This is a debate? ENGINEER is ABSOLUTELY the most complex class.

I`ve been playing around with engi builds for 700h and still finding new ways to combine them. He also the hardest to be effective with. BY FAR.

Elementalist just seems complex because of many skills but it`s really not. I mean he is, more than warrior and ranger etc.. but nowhere near engi complex.

I played all classes a lot btw.

Posted by: Curunen.8729

Curunen.8729

Engineer is the most complex, without a doubt. Not only are there a lot of skills, they require a good deal of knowledge, both of that class and other classes to be used effectively.

Ele isn’t complex at all – just because it has a lot of skills available doesn’t make it complex – you can literally mash any buttons you like in pve. In pvp/wvw you need to pick and choose abilities and watch attunement cooldowns, sure. But it isn’t a difficult class to figure out. Mesmer is harder (and more rewarding/fun) than ele.

Posted by: Havana.8625

Havana.8625

I’d go with engineer for complexity. You have to be really good to make it work though.

“We don’t need to make gear treadmills”
Colin Johanson on how arenanet measures success.
(Please no gear treadmills, Colin!)

Posted by: Myrmidian Eudoros.4671

Myrmidian Eudoros.4671

Lets start with: Button Mashing does not equal complexity.

That said, if you want button mashing, then ELE and ENGI are the two classes.

For ELE – slot off-hand dagger, roll face across keyboard, and you are up and running. Even if you are terribad you still contribute. Against good players it takes skill to win with this now (post-nerf), but you will do fine relatively quickly in the general masses.

For ENGI – Read/learn everything before you even start. You will have lots of buttons to push, but this class has a very high skill floor (arguably the highest) and a high skill cap.

Posted by: SpyderBite.6274

SpyderBite.6274

As you have played MMOs for years; I expected that you would have done your due diligence and learned that there are more than one character slot available. Thus, giving you the opportunity to try out each class for yourself and choose one that suits your needs best.

However, I missed the part in your post that requested directions to the “I Win Button”.

Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock.