Help Find a Reason to Stick to GW2

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Gigabyte.6831

Gigabyte.6831

So as we all know MoP is out, and I find myself curious to see what it is like, since I myself am a WoW veteran since shortly after the game came out. I’m sure I’d like it, but also, I’m sure that much like the previous expansions, I’d tire of it quite fast. In comparison to WoW, GW2 seems to have quite a bit more refined of a combat experience. In WoW you are very immobile compared to GW2 among other negatives, which are however not exactly deal breakers.

It seems to me that in GW2 aside from being able to switch weapons, you will have the same 1-5 skills your entire experience with that character. Doesn’t this seem kind of hollow? It doesn’t seem like there is a lot of depth with such few skills compared to WoW.

This is the major thing that irks me about this game, but certainly not the only. But I do agree that this is a revolutionary game, but it’s the things that it lacks that keeps me up at night. So what do you think? What gets you over the idea of having the same 1-5 skills, short of weapon swapping? doesn’t it seem kind of regressive? Love to hear your thoughts!

Posted by: Gohlar.3671

Gohlar.3671

GW2 has few skills compared to any mmo and yes it’s very hollow. The whole game is pretty shallow. As a big GW1 fan I am very disappointed.

Posted by: Varyag.3751

Varyag.3751

Well I personally switch weapons…

Overall though, I prefer a system where you have ten equipped skills and they all do something noticeable, as opposed to the system where you have fifty skills (half of which do nothing or next to nothing) cluttering up your interface.

I play Warrior, Guardian, Elementalist and Thief.

(edited by Varyag.3751)

Posted by: Esham.4203

Esham.4203

If you need help staying with GW2 then its probably not the right game for you.

Posted by: Geemo.6018

Geemo.6018

My girlfriend bought MOP the other day. I am amazed by the fact that the MOP zones are more beautiful than Gw2 over all. It’s hard to believe that Blizzard is able to do the great job they did with such an old game engine. And in case you Gw2 fanboys didn’t know…Gw2 artwork is just as out dated as Wows, hence the reason why Gw2 uses Direct X9….

Posted by: Zenith.1234

Zenith.1234

Same weapon skills do not bug me that much as I switch weapons often and keep all the weapons I can use in my bags. At first I thought it would get boring but I like it now instead of having 5000 hot keys covering my whole screen. It is better to pay attention to the story, environment, characters, etc, etc instead of your flashy skills.

Posted by: Sin.8174

Sin.8174

It’s... fun?

More skills does not necessarily equal better. I hated WoW’s "101 macros just to be functional" concept.

There’s a great saying I learned in english class- K.I.S.S - Keep It Simple, Stupid. For me, simplicity in skills is more fun than having every single ability available. It provides for a better building experience and for more experimentation. You also get to know your ’class’ better, instead of having to perfect your technique for months, or years on end because there are simply too many abilities to use.

I played WoW for quite a while.. and I grew very tired of it. I`m still paying for it, even though i`ve not logged in, in over 5 months. >_< kitten annual pass).

In my opion, you can’t ask the community for a reason to stay- you either enjoy the system, will have an adaptive personality, or go back to previous MMO’s (or go to future ones). For me, however, this is my style of game, so I can see myself playing it for a very long time.

Orphyn X – 8X Thief – Tarnished Coast
Lady Raevyn – 11 Necromancer – TC
Fanboy- The New Godwin’s Law.

Posted by: Sunny Side.7960

Sunny Side.7960

I personally, and surprisingly, am too bothered about the small amount of skills. What keeps me hooked in most games including this is customization. That does include skills and filling bars with cool abilities but mostly its down to gear. Its just a shame a lot of the gear isn’t all that good looking, but i’m sure Anet are gonna add plenty.

Zenith.1234

My girlfriend bought MOP the other day. I am amazed by the fact that the MOP zones are more beautiful than Gw2 over all. It’s hard to believe that Blizzard is able to do the great job they did with such an old game engine. And in case you Gw2 fanboys didn’t know…Gw2 artwork is just as out dated as Wows, hence the reason why Gw2 uses Direct X9….

I hope you are not serious lol. Maybe go enjoy MoP then or why are you here?

Posted by: AlexanderFaust.4518

AlexanderFaust.4518

GW2 Suffers from the same problem TSW has ~ no weight combat.
This is evident just by looking at events and how they all pretty much play out the same *(spamfests).

I made a few suggestions on to help “fix” the problem ~ so if you want to find a “reason” to stick to GW2.. why not check it out, show your support and/or drop a critique of your own?

Thread = https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/Combat-Dynamic-Events-what-s-the-point-if-they-re-easy-mode/first#post261251

Posted by: Kasama.8941

Kasama.8941

What’s the point of having 50 skills on your skill bar, when you are only using a fraction of them? Because it looks pretty? Guild Wars 2 gives you want you need, nothing more.

80 Ranger | 80 Mesmer | 80 Thief | 80 Guardian | 40 Engineer
“The learned is happy, nature to explore. The fool is happy, that he knows no more.”
-Alexander Pope

Gohlar.3671

No idea why people try to justify an overly simple class structure. GW1 has the best classes in the genre, GW2 has the worst.

GW2 Suffers from the same problem TSW has ~ no weight combat.
This is evident just by looking at events and how they all pretty much play out the same *(spamfests).

I played TSW and this makes sense. TSW at least let you actually build a character instead of trying to work with limited presets like GW2.

Posted by: xerxys.2635

xerxys.2635

i think u’re addicted to video games. Just take a walk in the park, You’ll thank me later.

Sin.8174

No idea why people try to justify an overly simple class structure. GW1 had the best classes in the genre, GW2 has the worst.

No idea why people choose to speak for others.

You say GW1 had the best, and I like GW2’s.

Problem?

Gohlar.3671

Do I really have to put IMO at the end of every sentence? I never spoke for anyone but some of you really are trying to justify a very limited skill system.

Posted by: ManMountain.4321

ManMountain.4321

i like GW2 graphic wise G|W2 is the best ,WoW cant even come close .. WoW is cartoon GW2 is not

If you need help you need to move on. |I still have fun here .. if i get bored i go out watch tv play another character .. the MMO scene is not my life!! it is only a part of it

Sin.8174

Do I really have to put IMO at the end of every sentence? I never spoke for anyone but some of you really are trying to justify a very limited skill system.

Because many of us enjoy it?

Therefore, yes, we will justify something that we enjoy. I don’t get how that’s hard to understand.

You buy a car. Someone says that their opinion is- ‘That model is garbage’. Are you going to go ‘Oh well, then i’ll just return it.’

More than likely not. You’re going to offer your opinion as to why you bought it, and why you like it, justifying why it isn’t garbage. Goes with any product that you enjoy.

Zenith.1234

TSW is also incredibly unbalanced and this comes with too many abilities. Limits are a good thing. TSW is also a gear treadmill and all you will be doing is endlessly grinding for better stats exactly like WoW is still today…BORING… I am so glad Anet grew a set and made this game different and actually fun.

Posted by: nerva.7940

nerva.7940

if you dont pvp, you have little reason to stay in GW2. pretty much comes down to that. the PVE content is excellent for me (best ive seen in an MMO), as ive only gotten through half of it roughly. for those who burn through PVE at a faster pace, you can play other games.

GW2 is the pvp’ers MMO with WvW and spvp being superb. i hope they prioritize these aspects of the game, in addition to building on dynamic events.

Ikiro – 80 Ranger
Umie – 80 Guardian
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgLbWtvtzdU0Ho0zto6VnTQ

Gohlar.3671

TSW is also incredibly unbalanced and this comes with too many abilities. Limits are a good thing. TSW is also a gear treadmill and all you will be doing is endlessly grinding for better stats exactly like WoW is still today…BORING… I am so glad Anet grew a set and made this game different and actually fun.

False. See GW1. Tons of skills, good balance.

Everything else you talk about has nothing to do with skills.

Posted by: nerva.7940

nerva.7940

Everything else has nothing to do with skills.

nope. GW1 required no skill to play the OP builds. it was hands down one of the worst pvp MMO’s with virtually no balance. as bad as WoW. it was a mess, and GW2 is superior in just about every way.

Ikiro – 80 Ranger
Umie – 80 Guardian
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgLbWtvtzdU0Ho0zto6VnTQ

Posted by: ituhata.6830

ituhata.6830

You can swap any weapon you like out of combat, as well as your heal, utiliy an elite skills. So really it’s jut a matter of planning and once the fight starts working with what you got. Pretty much exactly like EvE when you plan by fitting your ship with the modules you want then undocking and starting a fight.

I spend 6 years playing WoW as a druid in various specs and I pretty much only ever used about 7 skills consistently.

Caelthras – Fort Aspenwood
3rd Flora Artillery Unit

Gohlar.3671

nope. GW1 required no skill to play the OP builds. it was hands down one of the worst pvp MMO’s with virtually no balance. as bad as WoW. it was a mess, and GW2 is superior in just about every way.

GW1 was one of the worst PvP mmos with no balance?

Goodbye credibility lol.

AlexanderFaust.4518

This is NOT a kitten contest! :P

TSW and GW2 both have good things and bad things about them.. each being subjective to the individual (IE: what I like about a game, you may dislike).

However, combat in both games comes off as just “spammy” ~ no weight, despite them touting “action combat” as a subtitle to their game(s).

Want real action combat? ~ go play C9, Vindictus, ect.. then come back and play an event in GW2 or a dungeon in TSW..

lol, you’ll be scratching your head going WTF IS kittenHT!

Zenith.1234

False GW1 still has a lot of unbalanced skills. Ever wonder why they reduced the amount of skills? Also maybe try playing GW1 first and typing a sentence that is relevant.

Zenith.1234

TSW and GW2 both have good things and bad things about them.. each being subjective to the individual (IE: what I like about a game, you may dislike).

However, combat in both games comes off as just “spammy” ~ no weight, despite them touting “action combat” as a subtitle to their game(s).

Want real action combat? ~ go play C9, Vindictus, ect.. then come back and play an event in GW2 or a dungeon in TSW..

Well you just contradicted yourself telling me what REAL action is lol. The game is not a spamfest, try again.

Posted by: Banjal.7328

Banjal.7328

Why are these WoW kids still here??If you don’t like GW2 or need a reason to play,find something else to play.

Zenith.1234

False GW1 still has a lot of unbalanced skills. Ever wonder why they reduced the amount of skills? Also maybe try playing GW1 first and typing a sentence that is relevant.

They made constant balance adjustments and they were almost always small adjustments. It was the most finely tuned pvp the genre has ever seen. You fanboys are getting so ridiculous you are attacking GW1 lol.

If you think GW1 was unbalanced you were bad plain and simple. There is no if ands or buts, you were bad.

Sounds like a GW1 fanboy upset cause GW2 is a lot more balanced than the first simple because of less upfront skills to deal with.

Posted by: Thaiden.3487

Thaiden.3487

If you think GW1 pvp was more balanced than GW2, go play it. You’re still giving Anet your time/money :P

To each his/her own.

p.s. if you need proof of what Anet thinks is a better system, just look for the Guild Wars with the number ‘2’ after it. Simple math, 2>1

Gohlar.3671

They made constant balance adjustments and they were almost always small adjustments. It was the most finely tuned pvp the genre has ever seen. You fanboys are getting so ridiculous you are attacking GW1 lol.

If you think GW1 was unbalanced you were bad plain and simple. There is no if ands or buts, you were bad.

Sounds like a GW1 fanboy upset cause GW2 is a lot more balanced than the first simple because of less upfront skills to deal with.

Whatever helps you delude yourself. /shrug

I guess we know why GW2 holds your hand so hard, players like you. Well you’re right at home in this theme park I’m sure.

p.s. if you need proof of what Anet thinks is a better system, just look for the Guild Wars with the number ‘2’ after it. Simple math, 2>1

They wanted to make more money so they went with very simple and very theme park. I don’t blame them it’s just a shame. Easy and simple sells.

(edited by Gohlar.3671)

Zenith.1234

Whatever helps you delude yourself. /shrug

Typical response after being proven wrong.

AlexanderFaust.4518

Well you just contradicted yourself telling me what REAL action is lol. The game is not a spamfest, try again.

lol, that’s so cute…

You don’t even want to admit there’s an actual difference in how combat works between a “real” action combat game like C9 or Vindictus *(IE: Attacks that cannot be spammed and have “weight”) and spamfests like GW2 and TSW.

ah well, to each their own.. but you’re not really helping improve GW2 with that kind of outlook/attitude :P

Posted by: lacrimstein.5603

lacrimstein.5603

“if you dont pvp, you have little reason to stay in GW2”

This. I feel like the skill system has been neutered for the sake of PvP balance. A simple, easy-to-balance, opportunity-based skill system such as this is great for PvP… but is utterly boring in PvE where the AI is not smart enough to do any complex maneuvers.

Gohlar.3671

This. I feel like the skill system has been neutered for the sake of PvP balance. A simple, easy-to-balance, opportunity-based skill system such as this is great for PvP… but is utterly boring in PvE where the AI is not smart enough to do any complex maneuvers.

It was made this way for players like Zenith who were simply unable to learn the GW1 system. Design for the lowest common denominator is popular design now a days. =/

Posted by: Arazel.4185

Arazel.4185

Elementalists get tons of skills. The four attunements give them 20 skills. Then there’s weapon switching, so really 60 skills. 80 if you count underwater.

Posted by: Tsaritsin.5364

Tsaritsin.5364

You know what’s hard to believe ?

The fact that you can’t correlate these two – “WoW’s old game engine” and “GW2 using DX9”, lol

In relation to MMO’s needing to be able to run on a wide range of hardware to be successful.

In other words, there is no point in making an MMO, if huge numbers of people can’t play it due to the req system specs, lol

I shall not be there, I shall rise and pass,
Bury my heart at Wounded Knee.

Posted by: Athaulf.1530

Athaulf.1530

Guess Geemo is just someone who is paid for posting by Bli$$ard.. from what I hear their little Pandas don´t sell so well

Sin.8174

It was made this way for players like Zenith who were simply unable to learn the GW1 system. Design for the lowest common denominator is popular design now a days. =/

GW1—→ That way. You obviously think it’s superior, so why not just go play it?

Posted by: Galen Grey.4709

Galen Grey.4709

I think some people who love the gw1 skill system (and I am one of them) let the fact that gw1 had a great many skills blind them a bit of why gw1 had that many skills.

The reason why Gw1 had a ton of skills was because it tried to allow players do every possible action in combat. Enemy is a caster? you had tons of options, interrupt him, silence him etc.. It also allowed you to turn that against them with skills that would cause damage when enemy used a skill, damage adjestant enemies etc.. It did this by creating skills that each did these individual actions.

Gw2 does exaclty the same thing but from the opposite approach it gives you access to the effects and its up to you create actions (skills in Gw1).

It is more limited at all in my view its just done differently!

For example lets take the Necromancer skill Death Nova. You cast this on an ally and if it dies it damage and poisons nearby allies. You can create this same exact effect by using mark of blood that will damage and poison a group of enemies in a small area and spread it to an even larger area by using epidemic!

How about Malign Intervention? This would reduce the targets healing by 20% and summon a bone horror if that target dies!

How about Order of pain? it increases the physical damage of allies on the target. Isnt that the same thing that vulnerability does? which the necro has using the rending claws? but dont take my word for it, go through gw1 skills and you’ll see it that for most of them (excluding the one that give you energy of course) you can use a weapon skill, utility or apply a trait that allows you replicate the effect of that skill.

The soul of both skills systems is the same imho

Posted by: Vorch.2985

Vorch.2985

You can play both, you know?

Play GW2 while you are in a que or waiting for a healer, or waiting for a tank…

You may find that you are actually spending a good amount of time in WoW waiting to play.

However, play what YOU FIND FUN, regardless of genre. For instance, I play Vindictus on the side, a game that has more flaws than I care to count. But I still enjoy it.

Don’t let me, or anyone else tell you what to do. But if you still want a suggestion, I would try achievement hunting in GW2.

Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc
“A release is 7 days or less away or has just happened within the last 7 days…
These are the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.”

Posted by: Red Falcon.8257

Red Falcon.8257

If you’re curious about MoP then GW2 is by far not the game for you.
People who even remotely consider traditional MMOs as an option for their entertainment don’t belong to GW2.

Posted by: xerxys.2635

xerxys.2635

yeah, ok, sure , lol, whatever, but there’s no guild battles in gw2. kinda fail, u know..

Posted by: Ridley.3691

Ridley.3691

“If you’re curious about MoP then GW2 is by far not the game for you.
People who even remotely consider traditional MMOs as an option for their entertainment don’t belong to GW2.”

God forbid anyone should be able to find both games fun. Yeesh, all you’re doing with this statement is alienating a lot of the player base. I myself am currently playing both.

Posted by: ThrottleFox.2735

ThrottleFox.2735

dont like it leave, plain and simple, guild wars is free and if at the moment wow or bl2 or something seems more fun, go play it, guild wars will still be sitting here when you get back, and unlike wow your gear wont get outdated in 2 weeks

Posted by: miracle.4216

miracle.4216

I agree 100% it DOES seem kind of regressive. If you want to play some of the best PvP to date (aside from FPS games out there) play GW1.

Posted by: Tosha Daydreamer.9251

Tosha Daydreamer.9251

Holy kitten, this thread has become junk.
Can’t be bothered to count the “just leave you #$^&%$ WoWer!!!1!” posts, but my eyes are bleeding.

So I’m going to ignore every post before me and just going to answer the OP:

I like the simplicity. Traits and secondary skills give me the option to customize and let the skills fit my playstyle, while weapon swapping does the rest. If you feel like you don’t have enough skills – have you tried the ele? 4 attunements, 5 skills each, different skillsets for different weapons…, in my experience the ele is one of the most versatile classes ingame.

Posted by: TakaEagle.9486

TakaEagle.9486

Whilst i do feel the shortage/lack of skill customization is a thorough ‘let-down’, i believe other areas (pretty much all of it) make up for this flaw in the game. The content of GW2 is simply amazing both PVE and PVP. Furthermore, i’m sure Anet would have thought of the skill system and implemented it for a good reason.

S H U N P O [TS]
Sea Of Sorrows Commander

Posted by: Wechsl.2907

Wechsl.2907

Same 1-5*2 skills sure, but in group play, have you tought about all the possible combos you can pull off, what about utility skills which can make a whole world of difference in combat? don’t forget the traits, there are very interesting traits in each line that add to the combat mechanics and all of a sudden you mirror arrows in young adventurers kneecaps, Stand up from your dieing bed and show kitten what steel looks like up close(and live to fight another day)…etc. The combat may look simple on 1st glance, but there is alot more to it if you care to look deeper.

Posted by: Branwin.4609

Branwin.4609

Keep in mind that this game is brand new. Also, it’s free-to-play. You bought it, and now you have it. If that’s how you feel about the game, you won’t be missing much, right?

You’re free to venture off, explore Pandaria, and come back to check things out as you see fit. Or stay in Pandaria. Or move on to the next thing. The choice is yours! We all bought the game but we are not bound to it.

Posted by: Joey.3928

Joey.3928

The Guild Wars 2 skill system appears shallow on the surface and this is by design. So people aren’t overwhelmed.

If you dig deeper with traits/runes/sigils, you will notice your weapons having different functions depending how you are spec’d.

I am a vet from GW1 as well and I will have to say that the skill system is more complex than in GW1. It is better designed in this game.

Estel Wolfheart
Norn Ranger
Hardcorepwnograhpy [HARD] | Isle of Janthir