Help! How do i enjoy GW2?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: LeftMouse.7192

LeftMouse.7192

Hi everyone, I recently bought Guild Wars 2 when it went on half price due to the awesome reviews and how it looks so good in videos but im having trouble enjoying it. I haven’t really been playing MMORPG except for Maplestory(which i thoroughly enjoyed) and i just can’t understand why it is fun for everyone. I find it very hard to get into the game and very lost at times when i finish the hearts. Though the community is really awesome, i find it very hard to communicate with them as i have no clue what they are talking about when they give advice.

Some of my friends also bought the game with me and we also found it really difficult to play together as i had to travel all the way to his race’s place(which took quite an effort to find) and it turned out that we could not really do stuff together without having one of us lose out as one of us is merely helping the other and is not doing his own quests.

From how everyone is saying how the game is really fun and awesome, i have a feeling that im doing something terribly wrong when i play this game, so i decided to ask for some advice from the community on how i can improve my gaming experience and proper enjoy this great game created. Thanks for reading the long post and feel free to leave your advices/suggestions!

Posted by: Ani.8473

Ani.8473

Hi there,

welcome to the game! My first advice to you is join a nice casual guild that is newbie friendly. Guilds make this game to much better! They also give you the opportunity to find players that can show you around, not just tell you how things works but come with you to explore them

When playing with your friends which are all new, there are two different things to do:
- Personal Story (little green star sign on map). This one is different for different races and character creation choices but the same above a certain higher lvl. You could do first ones personal story together til the lvl is too high and then personal story from another character.
- Map completion. You can do the hearts and search for all POIs, Waypoints, Vistas and Skill Challenges til you have 100% of the map completed. This will give you an reward as well No problem to do that with friends instead of personal story, so noone misses something.

That should be enough to get started. Perhaps learn a crafting profession (trainers in major cities), meet your first world boss (for example Shadow Behemoth in Queensdale), this can all be very exciting. With lvl 22(?) you can enter PVP and try this out if you would like to play against real other players.

If really nothing is enjoyable for you…perhaps MMORPGs might not be the right genre?

I wish you finding the fun in GW, I love that game

LG,
Ani

Leader of [EoL] Evolution of Loneliness – http://eol.notjustfor.me/ :)

Posted by: xvalkyrie.6742

xvalkyrie.6742

Welcome to the game! One thing I suspect is dampening your fun is that you feel overwhelmed? Guild wars is a big game, and this one is technically a sequel. There are a lot of stories and lore available online in wiki’s and player created mediums (I’d recommend wooden potatoes on YouTube, his lore videos provide a nice recap) if you want to immerse yourself in the story from the first game all the way to to current events in gw2.

So something I would suggest is just taking baby steps, get to know the npcs around you, and in your personal story. Your friends can play in your story, and they in yours, so you can see multiple angles of the world. (They just won’t get credit if they’re different races and choose different options on character creation, but that’s OK, personal story is primarily for the story aspect).

And also, just explore together, and even on your own. Gw2 is very quick to get to max level, you don’t have to grind it or rush there, it’s not like free MMOs or Korean MMOs where grinding the same mob for hours is the name of the game to get a sliver of your xp bar. So just explore, talk to npcs, and see where that takes you. :-)

Valkyrie – [RMPG] Blackgate
Altaholic, can never have just one!

Posted by: Yoroiookami.3485

Yoroiookami.3485

Hi everyone, I recently bought Guild Wars 2 when it went on half price due to the awesome reviews and how it looks so good in videos but im having trouble enjoying it. I haven’t really been playing MMORPG except for Maplestory(which i thoroughly enjoyed) and i just can’t understand why it is fun for everyone. I find it very hard to get into the game and very lost at times when i finish the hearts. Though the community is really awesome, i find it very hard to communicate with them as i have no clue what they are talking about when they give advice.

Some of my friends also bought the game with me and we also found it really difficult to play together as i had to travel all the way to his race’s place(which took quite an effort to find) and it turned out that we could not really do stuff together without having one of us lose out as one of us is merely helping the other and is not doing his own quests.

From how everyone is saying how the game is really fun and awesome, i have a feeling that im doing something terribly wrong when i play this game, so i decided to ask for some advice from the community on how i can improve my gaming experience and proper enjoy this great game created. Thanks for reading the long post and feel free to leave your advices/suggestions!

In case of future issues, a really good and fast way of meeting with your friends in the game is clicking B, going to any of the Borderlands listed, once inside taking a pink portal to Lion’s Arch. From there, you can pick any of the 5 portals which teleport you to starting areas of different races.
It’s free, it’s quick and it’s easy.

I hope you will have fun with the game.

Posted by: Malin.2490

Malin.2490

Also, while your personal stories are all separate at the start, they do merge together at level 30, where you get to pick one of the three orders to join. If you pick the same one as your friends, you will all have the same missions and get credit for them from then on.

And yes, it can be completely overwhelming, especially since you might be surrounded by people who already know everything, and is using tons of weird terms.

My advice would be for you to help each other progress through the personal story until you reach level 30 and can take the same one. The personal story will lead you through the various parts of the game, and since you both have different races you will get to see more of the story and the map from the start.

Jamail Saoud [Nice], the man with the Drake

Posted by: That Guy.5704

That Guy.5704

this game can be overwhelming because there is just so much different stuff. Definitely find a friendly casual (but somewhat active) guild. Most people in game and in those guilds in particular would be glad to take the time to explain things and help you out.

for your personal story, yes, you must complete your own. but as for the heart quests, you get the exact same credit as anyone else whether you are in your own one or not.

Also, you can message me in game if you want using my right on the left of this post

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

Even if GW2 is really different from other standard MMO, it’s still a MMO. It a HUGE game with a lot of gameplay, term, lore, etc to learn. Enough to overwhelm most people.

Take it slow, you gonna learn everyday about this game. You probably don’t have to go through most of the stuff that you find irritating. There is probably a way in the game for you to skip those part and go for what you find fun, but you just don’t know them yet. It’s a pretty general question that is hard to answer.

The best for you, would be to get a casual guild (like most ppl already pointed out). They will have most of the answers for all those question you will have as you play the game. You can also ask specific question here in the forums.

Good Luck

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

Posted by: NaotsuguLH.8915

NaotsuguLH.8915

Take this from another former Maplestory player. They are completely different. I was worried about getting into GW2, but I’m having a blast. Like you I came into the game completely new and honestly confused.

BUT!

I met some people, joined a guild, and I’m having a blast. I suppose the thing for you though, is the play style. It’s not for everyone. All I can say is practice. Join a guild (probably have you and your friends remake chars of at least the same Race and same beginning traits so you have the exact same story) and do world bosses.

I don’t really know if this will help, but don’t knock it till you try it, and by try it, I mean play for a bit longer, level up, and do at least a few dungeon runs before giving up.

Posted by: LeftMouse.7192

LeftMouse.7192

Hey guys, thanks for all the advice that you have given to me. I will definitely try to find a guild to help me and give the game more enthusiasm as it deserves. I will also try out other races and classes. From this first thread i made in this forum, i really feel like GW2 has one of the best gaming communities and i can’t wait to make myself a part of it. I sincerely thank you all for taking your time to educate me and wish you all the best in your future gaming endeavours.

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

I suggest you to finish at least one character. The game is better at level 80, if you start several character but never finish one, you may have a hard time to get into the game.

Of course if you dislike one profession, that’s another problem and you should change.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD