Help choosing a Profression

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Ruze.5269

Ruze.5269

Q:

So I decided to get this game and was wondering how Professions stack up in PvE. I know some people who play the game and they recommended a Guardian or Warrior to start but I was wondering how the others are in case I choose another as my Main to play.

Posted by: Barely Burly Bear.8741

Barely Burly Bear.8741

I’ve just started too but all I can say is choose whatever you like. I’m sure it’s all balanced. Don’t stress.

Posted by: Seal.5964

Seal.5964

Aye, Bear is spot on.
The fastest and best way to master the game is by learning all the mechanics, the playstyle and psychology of the different professions.

Whatever you pick, you won’t make a mistake, as long as you are personally drawn to the playstyle and you mingle with the profession
The advice some people give as “play this” and “don’t play this” is simply because they take the average player scenario. But if you get into a profession and you enjoy it, then you will by no means be an “average player scenario”. You’ll rock.

So go ahead!
Rock on!

EU The Right Trolls ~JiVE~

Posted by: smhtjoa.7159

smhtjoa.7159

Hi Ruze,

I’m with Seal on this one, pick a profession that sounds fun to play and try it out. :-)

Having said that, I recently introduced a friend to GW2 and she tried the Necro first, got extremely frustrated because she kept getting mobbed and killed, being a light-armoured character. She created a Warrior alt and is much happier because she can now take a few more hits while learning the mechanics of the game. I would personally recommend Guardian as well, because as a class they provide really valuable group support skills at higher levels.

I can also share with you the first 3 lessons my friend learned in her PvE encounters in GW2: Dodge, dodge, dodge! ;-)

And, of course, remember to have fun!

Posted by: TheMurkMuffin.8213

TheMurkMuffin.8213

My first character I chose was a thief. They are supposedly one of the harder ones to master along with an engineer. This is probably subject to opinions, but it’s all about what you like to do in games Every profession is useful in their own way in this game and there isn’t necessarily a “better” one either. Just choose what interests you and take the time to learn the mechanics of it. That’s what makes you good or not in this game Feel free to add me in-game, if you have any further questions. (Disclaimer: I have a three year old. I’m not always online LOL)

Also, I can say that dodging is the best advice anyone can give you. If everyone’s saying it, it must be true, right?

Kaliabell – 80 Norn Reaper
-Retired Thief

(edited by TheMurkMuffin.8213)

Posted by: Melanie.1240

Melanie.1240

Also, I can say that dodging is the best advice anyone can give you. If everyone’s saying it, it must be true, right?

Yes, you can easily test that out yourself by trying to facetank an elite/champ. You’ll never make that mistake again. :P

For PvE all classes are balanced, but Necro’s are less wanted in speed run dungeons because they are a selfish class. They’re not underpowered or anything, they just don’t have any group buffs, they just buff themselves. If you’re not interested in speed runs (like probably atleast 75% of the player base) you’re fine with Necro. Heck, I take mine into dungeons every now and then and have yet to be kicked and I’ve had her for rougly 2 years now.

Posted by: TheMurkMuffin.8213

TheMurkMuffin.8213

Yes, you can easily test that out yourself by trying to facetank an elite/champ. You’ll never make that mistake again. :P

For PvE all classes are balanced, but Necro’s are less wanted in speed run dungeons because they are a selfish class. They’re not underpowered or anything, they just don’t have any group buffs, they just buff themselves. If you’re not interested in speed runs (like probably atleast 75% of the player base) you’re fine with Necro. Heck, I take mine into dungeons every now and then and have yet to be kicked and I’ve had her for rougly 2 years now.

As a thief, I do my best to not facetank anything. However, I agree Had this thief since the launch of this game, but, I took a break from this game for real-life reasons. kitten responsibility :/ Back for good though!

Attachments:

Kaliabell – 80 Norn Reaper
-Retired Thief

(edited by TheMurkMuffin.8213)