Help me choose please :)

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Tipanda.3215

Tipanda.3215

Hello!
I consider myself as a noob in this game. Haven’t done raids or high level fractals and especially I don’t know much about professions. I want to ask you for help with choosing class. I’ll buy the new expansion and as you all know there is a lvl 80 boost.
I don’t know what should I use it on.
When I played World of Warcraft WotLK I played as a arcane mage which uses like 3 spells in its rotation (+cooldowns). It was simple but it certainly needed skill to be good at it. I loved that play style, you could focus on the fight rather than your skill bar. And that is exactly what I want in guild wars 2. I know there are people that say “You can play everything in open pve” but I don’t wanna feel like I’m totally useless. And the other thing what I like about playing certain profession is when it has some “good looking” abilities. Those mesmer/guardian bubbles are freaking gorgeous.
So I’m asking you…Is there any profession which has simple rotation of skills and it is viable (preferable good looking :P )? I don’t really care if it is a heavy/medium/light or melee/ranged.
Thank you

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I’d say Reaper (the Necromancer elite) using Greatsword and Shouts, with one trait line grandmaster set to auto-shroud when taking a killing blow. There’s some great green-black special effects especially when in shroud form, gap closers and some dancing between shroud and normal state, the weapon skills and shouts blend well together and you have time to consider which ones you want to use at any given moment since Reaper is made for slow-and-inexorable rather than lightning twitch reflexes. You still have to consider saving your CC for blue bar breaking, and figure out when to gap close and when to stay away using a ranged weapon, but I’m not sure you can get a simpler yet still highly effective “rotation” on any other current profession.

I put rotation in quotes because GW2 does have a bit more situational use and varying synergies of skills depending on the fight moment to moment than WoW (I was a Fire/Arcane Mage in WoW for many years, did some non-LfR raiding with my guild).

In terms of use, my Reaper has been my go-to for helping friends with LS instances or leading them to HoT HP. She’s very tanky so I can wade into fights, or survive enough to rez my flimsier companions. She’s not raid-optimal, but I don’t raid in GW2 /shrug.

What you should do is go into the Mists lobby and head to the golems. Any character you take there is auto 80 with gear you can set the stats on, as PvP is about skill rather than better gear than other players. The exact nuances of stats and skills will be a little bit different there but the overall mechanics and animations will be the same, so you can make a character, head to the lobby, test it out, and delete it so as to make room for the next test. It’s not a perfect simulation — I found the Scourge (upcoming Necro elite with PoF) confusing and clumsy in the PvP weekend test but highly effective in the recent stress test in a PvE map. Still, it will give you a feel for how you enjoy the various choices.

Posted by: analogline.5872

analogline.5872

I used my Path of Fire 80 boost on ranger, and the gear it gives you (longbow/2h-sword) I’ve been pretty happy with. It’s pretty versatile, pretty good at both melee and ranged situations, and I haven’t felt the need to replace the default gear at all yet. Very survivable, and pets. Not quite a WoW Hunter, but not too dissimilar. It’s the simplest class I’ve played (only one I haven’t yet is guardian) by far, but it’s not quite old WoW arcane mage. Mesmer might be a good choice as well. Not totally sure, but it looks like you’ll get Sword/Sword as one weapon set and that’s pretty simple (for mesmer) and powerful now.

Don’t forget, you can try out the char at lvl 80 in the Silverwastes without committing to the boost. Once you leave the zone it’ll ask you if you want to keep that character boost it, or undo your boost and restore the char to what it was before you boosted. There’s really no downside to filling your available character slots with different professions and trying it out, as long as you’re careful to undo the boost.

Posted by: Axl.8924

Axl.8924

There is no wrong choice, it just depends on what you want to be.

Mesmer playstyle:Very complex lots of cc and good burst.
Necromancer:Good boon corrupt and condi corrupt also can be a pet class.Elite super tanky to the point where you can survive a lot longer than any class.

Ranger:Most desired healer for raids, and you get loads of pets and fun burst with arrows.New spec might make power viable, and condi is viable too.

Ele:Great at stability and mobility and utility and great damage.Go with scepter/horn you can use number 4 run around while casting chain lightning and the damage goes up and you can eventually see 20k damage.Tempest also adds tons of survivability.

I haven’t played much of thief except in pvp.Very squishy, but super mobile and great damage.Very annoying to kill and people hate to fight thieves, so if you want to be a royal pain you can play thief.