Help me decide on a class please?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Ryou.2398

Ryou.2398

Alright so I have allot of experience in mmorpgs but I need to focus on one, and so far I play a ranger and mesmer and to be honest ranger is kind of boring to me not very flashy at all and just feels meh. Mesmer is cool but it might be a little while before I grab the expansion and I hear they have allot of trouble without the elite spec.

Anyways in other rpgs in general I usually tend to go for more battlemage/spellsword types and versatile classes in general, in eq my main was a bard and mage which was a caster with pets, in wow my main was a druid for the jack of all trades aspects.

So what are really versatile classes? It must be an active playstyle though thanks all.

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

You’re looking for engi if you like to press a lot of buttons and be versatile.

A lot of people would say ele without thinking, but PvE ele is not complicated at all. PvP ele is where you press all the buttons.

That said, all the classes can be insanely complicated if you want to truly master them. Try playing ranger while fully controlling your pet, like controlling when and where they use AI skills. That’s critical for PvP, less so for PvE.

Posted by: Asrat.2645

Asrat.2645

Ele I guess (not in current pvp tho). In general they can deal damage(tops raid dps), ranged or close. They can heal, they have good movement if they want.
They can swap between different skillsets, making them almost perfect for a jack of all trades.
Engi would be my second guess. Also able to take a couple of roles (simultaneously) healing, damage, cc, condidamage, tank. Really nothing they cant do.
Especially the kits provide a lot of diversity in playstyle.
Both classes require a complex rotation in pve to max out their potential. Engi more so.

Edit: but beware. Both belongt o the most powerful classes in the current pvp meta. Things might change completely over the next days.

Ryou.2398

Thanks all for the advice, but quick question do guardians multi task at all?: Like support and do decent dps at the same time? Do they buff allot?

Fluffball.8307

Thanks all for the advice, but quick question do guardians multi task at all?: Like support and do decent dps at the same time? Do they buff allot?

Everyone has ways of doing damage and simultaneously supporting, and it’s a core, critical element of the game.

Posted by: reikken.4961

reikken.4961

yes
for example, guardian’s highest dps build for raids provides permanent AoE protection a bit of healing

Ryou.2398

Everyone has ways of doing damage and simultaneously supporting, and it’s a core, critical element of the game.

Ok so what classes do more of that then? I doubt all classes are the same.

Fluffball.8307

All of them are relatively equal bar none, as is the entire point of the game.

Posted by: reikken.4961

reikken.4961

Generally speaking, thief offers the least support, but beyond that it depends on what kind of support you want.

Ryou.2398

Then there would no point in classes if that was actually true, your telling me a class cannot build more towards support instead of dps?

Posted by: randomguy.1283

randomguy.1283

Then there would no point in classes if that was actually true, your telling me a class cannot build more towards support instead of dps?

Welcome to gw2 PvE, its all about dps. (Unless you are a druid, in which case you may be allowed to heal)

Posted by: Uden Reavstone.3426

Uden Reavstone.3426

Welcome to gw2 PvE, its all about dps. (Unless you are a druid, in which case you may be allowed to heal)

You’re right, if you want play and live by the meta, something that some players, myself included, don’t do. I for one like to play nondps builds in all modes. I even used to play as a tanky ele in all three modes before HoT.

“Blue team for life.”
“They can’t see me. I can’t see them.”
Michael J. Caboose ~ RvB

Posted by: randomguy.1283

randomguy.1283

You’re right, if you want play and live by the meta, something that some players, myself included, don’t do. I for one like to play nondps builds in all modes. I even used to play as a tanky ele in all three modes before HoT.

I’m as tanky as you are in full glass come at me.

Ryou.2398

Yea im not a meta person how come you stopped playing a tanky ele?

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I’m going to guess because tanky Reaper is too amazing for words

Ryou.2398

I’m going to guess because tanky Reaper is too amazing for words

Lol ive heard they are battlemage like, but im getting this feel from guardian right now or maybe more of a mystic knight but man its dps doesnt seem bad and its flaaaashy.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I wouldn’t call Reaper a battle mage. The starter concept for its design was the inexorable horror movie monster that moves slowly but you still can’t outrun it, and they delivered on that quite nicely, at least for PvE. I don’t PvP.

Though I think I did help inaugurate a guild hall arena by jumping on someone who came in with an opposite team color and beating her with my PvE set up and moves. I don’t remember her profession at the time or if she normally PvP’s either, I just felt sort of bad for winning when it was her hall and her first fight in it.

If you want super active, though, you’ll want either Thief/Daredevil for tons of positioning and mobility, or Ele or Engineer for moving through sets of hotkey 1-5’s depending on the immediate situation. (The Ele swaps out via F1-F4, the Engie via various kits equipped in the utility keys).

For battle mage I would say Guardian is the closest, though its magery tends to burns, blinds, and crowd control. It is very good at support and can also be tweaked to do dps while supporting, though it’s less likely to give you monstrous hits than some other high damage professions.

Posted by: bearshaman.3421

bearshaman.3421

A condition necro could feel very battlemage like. Curses/death magic/blood magic with dagger/x and staff would work really well. Dagger is arguably their best melee weapon, even sometimes better than the reaper’s greatsword. A power necro not so much, though if you use the blood magic traitline with the vampiric wells, that can be pretty awesome, and doesn’t require reaper. I played with spite/bloodmagic/soul reaping dagger/X and staff for a long time before getting reaper.

Guardian can be sorta, though I feel like they are much heavier on the battle than the mage side of things. It’s more like having a few passive magical effects that proc while you are swinging your weapon in melee than it is an even split between the two.

Ryou.2398

Well just an update ive been playing my mesmer more and to be honest they feel kind of spellsword like which is fine to, I thought I would love guardians and to be honest they are really boring for me to solo, I think if I was grouping all the time able to use my shields/heals, and buffs for allies it would be far more fun but yea solo is incredibly dull compared to my mesmer but isnt as dull to solo as it was with my ranger lol.

Its funny I took a few of those which guild wars 2 class is for you quizzes and two of them said I should be a ranger because of the versatility of melee/ranged and etc. But it was incredibly dull to play ranged because of how easy it was in open world.

Posted by: Uden Reavstone.3426

Uden Reavstone.3426

Yea im not a meta person how come you stopped playing a tanky ele?

I wanted to try out something else.

“Blue team for life.”
“They can’t see me. I can’t see them.”
Michael J. Caboose ~ RvB

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

Every class plays differently in style, but ultimately not contribution to the party. But you absolutely can build more for support over DPS, or Vice Versa – for example Shoutbow Warrior (Support) or Gunflame Berzerker (Damage). You choose the class you want for your benefit and preferred style of play, not because party composition or role demands that class. At least for casual play. Of course, the differences in design do lead to differences in capabilities at the high-end of the meta.