Help me decide which new toon to level

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Galphar.3901

Galphar.3901

I have a Lvl2 Thief and a Lvl20 Warrior. Rolled both within minutes of each other and leveled the warrior to 20 threw crafting. I also have a Ranger, Guardian, and Mesmer all 80s. I picked up some Tomes of Knowledge that gives you a level per use. Now I can’t decide which to use the tomes on and level up first.

Posted by: DaliIndica.9041

DaliIndica.9041

Warrior is easy mode for any game mode, and its always desired for dungeon runs, pvp teams, everything really.

The thief on the other hands is a little fragile, but has the best mobility in the game by quite a margin (specced for extremes, you can have perma swiftness and pretty much spammable teleports. Of course if that matters to you for exploring and stuff)

Damage wise warrior wins it but not enough to make a difference, and a thief can be pushed to do more damage but you will be playing on a knife edge as they can be a bit paper thin. PVP doesnt matter as its auto leveled anyway.

I have both at 80 (just my guardian and necro left to level then I have them all, like pokemon) and I play my thief quite a bit more. Then again I picked warrior first in WoW and had to endure that mess of a class so maybe I am biased.

Do you have enough tomes to level to 80? or just some to give it a boost. If its the latter, I would save them to the end of the leveling. As in, if you have say 40 of them, get your char to 40 first them use the tomes, its quicker than pushing it to 40 then leveling the rest of the way. ALthough do as you please, I dont think it will be much in it in terms of speed wise.

Posted by: Rasimir.6239

Rasimir.6239

Do you have enough tomes to level to 80? or just some to give it a boost. If its the latter, I would save them to the end of the leveling. As in, if you have say 40 of them, get your char to 40 first them use the tomes, its quicker than pushing it to 40 then leveling the rest of the way. ALthough do as you please, I dont think it will be much in it in terms of speed wise.

It actually doesn’t make any difference. After level 15, you need the exact same amount of experience for each level, and you get the exact same amount of experience for exploring, harvesting etc. too. Using the scrolls early on (e.g. on level 20) does open up the areas you are free to explore, but even without that there are enough starting areas to explore to keep you busy for quite a few levels.

To the initial question: Try playing both classes for a while, either by exploration, WvW or sPvP, to determine which class suits you, then use your scrolls afterwards on the one you find more fun. Both classes have their strong and weak points, and it really is a question of personal preference that nobody else can answer for you.

Posted by: DaliIndica.9041

DaliIndica.9041

It actually doesn’t make any difference. After level 15, you need the exact same amount of experience for each level, and you get the exact same amount of experience for exploring, harvesting etc. too. Using the scrolls early on (e.g. on level 20) does open up the areas you are free to explore, but even without that there are enough starting areas to explore to keep you busy for quite a few levels.

To the initial question: Try playing both classes for a while, either by exploration, WvW or sPvP, to determine which class suits you, then use your scrolls afterwards on the one you find more fun. Both classes have their strong and weak points, and it really is a question of personal preference that nobody else can answer for you.

Yes but the other aspect is gear. If your a high level char with low level gear (which is what you will mostly find in low level areas) you will be doing less damage so it will be slower. Plus and this is mostly personal taste, but the higher level areas are better to level in. The starter areas are a bit samey, but the higher end areas offer a lot more. Like I said though thats a personal taste, I just dont like having to do all the starter areas over and over again, its a slow way to power level up because its boring. But if you like it then sure go for it, just gets tedious once you have already done it, and there is a lot more game world out there to be explored.

Posted by: Rasimir.6239

Rasimir.6239

If your a high level char with low level gear (which is what you will mostly find in low level areas) you will be doing less damage so it will be slower.

On the other hand, on-level gear for levels below 80 can be bought on the trading post for a few silver tops, and gets stronger on higher levels (3-stat armor vs. 1- or 2-stat). Add to that the wider range of available utility skills and boosts from traits, you actually are quite a bit stronger during the later levels than during the earlier ones, making the clearing of the same zone considerably easier and faster.

But then, I really enjoy doing even the starter zones again and again .

Posted by: CrossedHorse.4261

CrossedHorse.4261

Personally, I find the Thief to be a more engaging character to play.

Warrior is great for sitting back and just enjoying being pretty awesome by clicking a few buttons. No, I don’t get tired of it, but I prefer that in short bursts. I tend to switch off a bit while playing Warrior.

Thief, however, because it’s more than a little squishy and because I can be so active due to not having to mind about cooldowns, I find that I concentrate a bit more on setting up my approach to attacks, the attacks themselves, and what happens when there’s more than one mob. So generally I can play in much longer time spans with Thief without noticing.

That is literally the only thing I go on these days, lol – have partially levelled too many characters to really state what I prefer over the next.

Posted by: Galphar.3901

Galphar.3901

Think I’m going to level the Warrior up to the choosing which Order to join(need the story for Char up to there for achievements). Will probably level the Thief to same level as War then switch back and forth every 10 levels or so. Thanks for advice