Help me out if you can guys

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: xMorale.7895

xMorale.7895

Well, I just got this PC and it was on sale for a good amount. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/ibuypower-desktop-amd-fx-series-8gb-memory-1tb-hard-drive-120gb-solid-state-drive-white-blue/3889047.p?id=1219094120571&skuId=3889047

Need help with upgrades cause I’m kittened and don’t know much and don’t wanna buy something that doesn’t work with this. I get terrible FPS all around even when I’m not streaming in WvW. When I’m streaming I dip down to single digits sometimes.

xMorale.7895

bump cause I really need help

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

It’s only been 10 minutes since you posted. And for most of NA it’s late at night or early morning. When school or work is the next day/later that day. And most of EU is early Monday morning, when they are at work or at school.

You may also get more help if you edit your title to indicate that you need computer advice. Especially if you’re going to post in the wrong section. The Account and Technical Support section is the correct section. The moderators will likely move the thread once they realize it’s in the wrong section. The tech geared posters are likely thinking your post is a I need help with regards to something in game since this the general discussion section. Not that you need help with your actual computer.

Give it some time and you may get a post with some advice.

xMorale.7895

It’s only been 10 minutes since you posted. And for most of NA it’s late at night or early morning. When school or work is the next day/later that day. And most of EU is early Monday morning, when they are at work or at school.

You may also get more help if you edit your title to indicate that you need computer advice. Especially if you’re going to post in the wrong section. The Account and Technical Support section is the correct section. The moderators will likely move the thread once they realize it’s in the wrong section. The tech geared posters are likely thinking your post is a I need help with regards to something in game since this the general discussion section. Not that you need help with your actual computer.

Give it some time and you may get a post with some advice.

Oh, sorry, didn’t realize where I posted this. I just looked for some topics similar to this and just went straight to the same category!

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

Your problem is you went with AMD, which has a terrible single-core performance compared to Intel. GW2 is a very CPU intensive game, especially in WvW and large events and it is using the CPU mostly at 1-2 cores.

So upgrading the CPU in that system would entail replacing the motherboard, too. I’m assuming you don’t want to do that, so here’s what you can do to improve performance.

Reduce the details in the graphics options, especially the player model count and detail (two last options). Those should already bring a big difference.

Upgrade your graphics card. The R7 260X is a very entry-level gaming card. I would invest in something like Nvidia GTX 960 or even GTX 970. You should check though that the power supply has enough power (~450-500W) and enough additional PCI-E power connectors (1×6 pin for GTX 960 and 2x for GTX 970) to support the upgrade.

Other than those, nothing short of switching to Intel will bring you significant performance boosts.

One – Piken Square

Posted by: Wetpaw.3487

Wetpaw.3487

What Tom said, big fan of Nvidia gpu’s, and Intel cpu’s. All honesty you got it at Bestbuy, and they have a pretty good return policy I would just get your money back.

If you enjoy mmo’s or PC games in general I would suggest building your own, especially if it’s your first time doing it. In the long run it will be a far better investment and cheaper to build/upgrade.

Read a few guides, watch a few youtube videos, and read a ton of comments on parts through Amazon, NewEgg.com, and tigerdirect.com (to name a few), compare prices and build your own machine.

I would also check out these forums and ask for advice, a very helpful community.
http://www.mmo-champion.com/forums/332-Computer-Build-Upgrade-Help

These were the steps I had taken to build my 1st w/little help, and would never buy a prebuilt tower again.

best of luck.

JQ Druid

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

If streaming mean you are showing your exploits on a videochannel, I’d suggest you put a waiting period between you doing something in wvw and actually transmitting it.

Too often we see people who are abviously recording stuff and noticing enemies changing tactics to a point where it seems they have precognition…

Do not stream WvW directly. It makes playing WvW a pain for all your fellow zerg mates. Do not destroy your own gameplay.

Oh and I’ve build PC’s before, all things are easy , just fitting the cooler for the CPU can cause some trouble. just make sure you have all the components. and some thermal paste.

good luck

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

(edited by PaxTheGreatOne.9472)

xMorale.7895

Your problem is you went with AMD, which has a terrible single-core performance compared to Intel. GW2 is a very CPU intensive game, especially in WvW and large events and it is using the CPU mostly at 1-2 cores.

So upgrading the CPU in that system would entail replacing the motherboard, too. I’m assuming you don’t want to do that, so here’s what you can do to improve performance.

Reduce the details in the graphics options, especially the player model count and detail (two last options). Those should already bring a big difference.

Upgrade your graphics card. The R7 260X is a very entry-level gaming card. I would invest in something like Nvidia GTX 960 or even GTX 970. You should check though that the power supply has enough power (~450-500W) and enough additional PCI-E power connectors (1×6 pin for GTX 960 and 2x for GTX 970) to support the upgrade.

Other than those, nothing short of switching to Intel will bring you significant performance boosts.

So I have to upgrade my CPU and Graphics Card? And also my motherboard since it’s only compatible with like a few.

xMorale.7895

Also could you point me in the direction that would be best for a new motherboard and CPU? Everything should be pretty much on there spec wise.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

FX-4300 – low performance quad core. About the same performance as a 6 year old Core 2 Q9650. A lot changes in 6 years.

R7 260X – Essentially an HD 7790. A low mid line GPU when it came out in 2013.

For upgrading your biggest limitation will be, first it’s a socket AM3+ motherboard and second it likely has a less than robust power supply.

Now it’s a fine rig for gaming as long as you aren’t expecting super performance at max settings in all modern games. But with GW2 it’s less than ideal as this game is more CPU dependent in terms of an individual core’s performance rather than the video card.

But you can at least see if you are maxing out your video card’s performance with monitoring tools like Process Explorer, GPU-Z or maybe some bundled utility. If you aren’t maxing out your video card’s performance, putting in a faster one won’t help you here. Maybe another game but not GW2.

Sorry. If you can return it.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

xMorale.7895

Interesting. I don’t know why they changed the processor. I have an AMD FX-8320 Eight Core. I can run the game fairly when I’m not streaming, but even games like CS:GO, sometimes it stutters especially when I’m in a smoke grenade. When it’s WvW on GW2, I dip really hard. I guess I’ll try to upgrade each piece slowly. Obviously motherboard and CPU and power supply first if possible.

What if I were to upgrade my GPU first? Would I see any significant change in my FPS?

(edited by xMorale.7895)

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

8 lower performing cores or 4 (relative to current Intel cores), doesn’t matter in the long run. More cores don’t buy you additional performance in GW2, at least not as much.

Now if you are having issues in modern FPS shooters, then it’s likely the video card limiting you in those games.

As I said before, you need to check if your GPU is running near 100% in areas that are truly problems for playing (I don’t count cities). If it is then no, a video card upgrade won’t help. But every game uses a different mix of CPU and GPU. GW2 is limited by CPU especially in player crowds.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Baconbit.6970

Baconbit.6970

If money is no problem then yeah, go with the intel. I’m not flush with cash and amd cpu’s and ati radeon gpu’s have served me well for over a decade. If you can build your own you would get way more bang for your buck.