Help me pick a main - Ele or Necro

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: lazycalm.5186

lazycalm.5186

Hi guys

So, before I mention anything else, I’m undecided in between this two professions because I prefer casters by a mile, I’ve tried Mesmer and didn’t enjoy the clones playstyle, and I don’t like Engi because I’m not a fan of bombs and nades and that stuff.

Alright, so.. I play mostly WvW roaming and SPvP, much more than PvE.

General knowledge is that Necros > Eles in PvP and Eles > Necros in PvE.

Why don’t I pick Necro then? I’ve leveled one til 80, did some PvE, am currently doing PvP. It just feels a bit dull… I think it’s too easy to play for me, and I don’t find it really much fun… I’m playing conditions, I know about MM but not a big fan of minions, and Power, but power necros aren’t really very competitive for SPvP or WvW roaming.

Now, about the Elementalist… I have very very little experience with them, I know it requires a lot of skill to play in PvP, which I’m totally cool with, I don’t mind taking the time to master it.

The problem here is that Eles don’t seem to be rewarded enough. I absolutely love watching videos of Eles roaming and in SPvP, but I seriously doubt I’ll be rewarded enough by playing one.

I’m afraid I’ll just lose my patience because I’ll be steamrolled by every other class. Is that the way things are atm?
I know there are changes coming, but I think that won’t be enough…

If there are any Eles reading this, can you tell me in your point of view your experiences in WvW roaming and SPvP? What can you kill, what can’t you kill, do you feel rewarded while playing it? Is it frustrating?

Hope you guys can help me on this one

Sorry about the long post
and thanks

Posted by: CrossedHorse.4261

CrossedHorse.4261

What do you mean by “rewarded”? If you get very good at Elementalist, you can wipe out pretty large groups by yourself, in which case, all those loot bags are yours. But if you mean in terms of the effort required, then that will depend on how quickly you learn the skills, I imagine. Yes, while new to the class, I imagine you’d get steamrollered a bit. But if you learn quickly, then soon you’ll be able to out-heal almost any other class.

In terms of sPvP, it’s true that Eles have pretty much fallen out of the current meta, but if you are a good Ele, then you’re very difficult to beat, imo. Just depends on your patience and ability to put up with hitting the ground a lot on the way up. A lot of people play Elementalists, but the good ones really, really stand out.

Necros are fantastic in WvW – though better for zerg play than roaming, if you ask me. Though, if you find a bridge, you can pretty much hold it indefinitely until back up arrives. I am fairly new to WvW, but I and one other guy literally held a bridge against 10 others for ages (we never got to see the conclusion as we got kicked out for server re-matching). I run with conditions all the way and no pets – they mostly get in the way. But Necros can be strong in sPvP as bunkers or some roamers. Wells are very strong, especially the well of corruption? I think it’s that one – that converts boons on your enemies to conditions … Necros pretty much serve as a direct counter to Guardians. I find I do better against Guardians on a Necro than I do on any other class. Conditions can be incredibly strong in PvP – cleansing skills are nearly always on cooldown, while a Necro can stack conditions so quickly with almost anything they do, and when health is low enough, they can get good DPS.

If you find the Necro too easy, then go for the Elementalist. The rewarding aspect of it is something that, sadly, nobody can really weigh up for you because it’s so subjective. If you find it just rewarding to become a great Elementalist player when there aren’t that many, then of course it’s rewarding. If you mean you want instant gratification and wins against people right from the beginning, then obviously you will be disappointed at first.

I in no way consider myself an expert on anything in this game, but this is generally what I have observed with the classes I HAVE played and my personal experience.

Posted by: Cassocaster.4576

Cassocaster.4576

Having leveled 2 necros and not being able to move past level 65 on the ele even though I wanted to finish him makes my preference far swayed to the ’mancer side.

I found that I was having fun with my necros immediately and the ele was a chore though I have to say the eles have the best animations and colors of all the classes, to me.

I couldn’t have fun with the ele, he always felt weak where my necros seemed to be really good right out of the gate. I equipped him efficiently but once a toon is past 60 and superior sigils and runes open up, that’s where I could tell that the toon was destined for a return to the ether of ones and zeroes.

The important part, to me, is to have fun, create 2 toons, same race but make one an ele and one a necro. Keep the one that your game style acclimates towards….

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

Power necro may not be meta but its a lot more fun and rewarding then conditions. Until eles get a sizable buff I’m not sold on their pvp aspect. I’ll farm bags in wvw with mine though, sure.

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE