Help with Deleting a character

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Tairiousrhoar.4235

Tairiousrhoar.4235

Hey there,
So I hope this is the right place to be posting this (I haven’t lived on forums for some time now..) and well I need advise and help so here we go.

I have a lvl80 Thief that I made during the head-start before launch, now, he was a sylvari and I decided the look of a human thief much better so a while back (really about a month or two after getting that guy to 80) I leveled a new human Thief who has been my main since.

The old thief is just gathering dust and has been stripped of all armor with my new thief holding several sets and I don’t see much use of keeping him as I would really like to make a new Mesmer.

The biggest question I have is should i delete him? I received a birthday gift on him and I don’t want to loose out on any thing like that because of the characters age… So what are your thoughts? Would it be okay to delete him? or should I suck it up and spend the gems for a character slot?

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

One thing you can do with an retired character is park them at a chest and open it daily. You might check to see if the guild puzzle chests are available to be opened daily if a character is parked there. Or you could outfit the character in masterwork or rares, leave them in Frostgorge or Orr and make an ori/ancient wood harvesting tun daily.

Posted by: slurpey.6014

slurpey.6014

The biggest question I have is should i delete him? I received a birthday gift on him and I don’t want to loose out on any thing like that because of the characters age… So what are your thoughts? Would it be okay to delete him? or should I suck it up and spend the gems for a character slot?

Here’s the thing, the gifts normally are based on the account age not the characters age. However under some circumstances that doesn’t work due to bugs or whatever reason. I’ve seen it happen to a friend while my character was deleted just fine without missing out on anything lol. I would recommend that if you don’t want to spend the gems for a character slot go ahead an contact support. Let them tell you if that would affect your account. IF you ever run in the issue with not receiving the gift, you would have at least something written by support and it would be easier to follow up or getting reimbursed on at a later date.

Edit : If you still have the Bday gift that was given out prior make sure you put it in your bank (should be account bound) before deleting the “old” character.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Here’s the thing, the gifts normally are based on the account age not the characters age. However under some circumstances that doesn’t work due to bugs or whatever reason. I’ve seen it happen to a friend while my character was deleted just fine without missing out on anything lol. I would recommend that if you don’t want to spend the gems for a character slot go ahead an contact support. Let them tell you if that would affect your account. IF you ever run in the issue with not receiving the gift, you would have at least something written by support and it would be easier to follow up or getting reimbursed on at a later date.

Edit : If you still have the Bday gift that was given out prior make sure you put it in your bank (should be account bound) before deleting the “old” character.

No, birthday presents are by character age, not by account age. While there might have been a bug in when a character got the first birthday present, the intent is for each character to get one on its birthday. Contacting support on this is a waste of their time as they will only be telling you that it’s character birthday not account birthday.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Birthday_Gift
Birthday Gift
“A Birthday Gift is an item received by a character once the character reaches their birthday; each year after the day of account creation. For example, a character created on August 28th, 2012 will receive their birthday gift on August 28th, 2013”.

(edited by Astral Projections.7320)

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

To confirm this, I recently got a birthday gift on a newer alt when I got the first 5 on or about August 28th. But if you need the slot for a new character, holding out for a booster, a mini, and a scroll of leveling seems a bit overkill.

Posted by: Adine.2184

Adine.2184

If nothing else it can be used as a mule and for Bday gifts . If you’ve done any amount of crafting on them you may as well keep them around for that too