Home instance nodes

Home instance nodes

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: NEOCROM.8957

NEOCROM.8957

Was thinking about buying some nodes, like snow truffle, orian truffle, orichalcum. Would be wise or dumb? I’m asking, because the nodes aren’t cheap at all, and dunno how much will take to get my money back.

Home instance nodes

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

You will not get your gold back in any reasonable amount of time. The reason people buy these nodes are for completionists reasons, for flavor, for having something to do in their home instance, for the ability to get gathering daily done easily. But they don’t buy nodes expecting to break even.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Home instance nodes

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

1482,0631262525050100200400801603 snow truffles harvested to break even. with 1 per day, 15% at 2, thats 1288,7505445673956608869913740524 days to break even

Home instance nodes

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Amaimon exaggerates every so slightly

According to my calculations, the “best” buy right now is the orrian node which takes 2.88 years to pay off, assuming market prices remain the same (which, of course, they won’t). The worst is Lotus Root, which takes… 127 years to pay for itself.

(This is if you use gold to buy the gems; the calculation is similar if you buy gems from ANet, since you have the choice of converting to gold and buying the mats on the TP.)

There are other reasons for buying nodes: some like the convenience of doing one ‘daily’ in their home instance 9 days of 10 and some don’t like using the TP for mats (although, I’m not sure how buying nodes differs, but I’m not those people).

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Home instance nodes

Amaimon.7823

According to my calculations, the “best” buy right now is the orrian node which takes 2.88 years to pay off, assuming market prices remain the same (which, of course, they won’t). The worst is Lotus Root, which takes… 127 years to pay for itself.

(This is if you use gold to buy the gems; the calculation is similar if you buy gems from ANet, since you have the choice of converting to gold and buying the mats on the TP.)

There are other reasons for buying nodes: some like the convenience of doing one ‘daily’ in their home instance 9 days of 10 and some don’t like using the TP for mats (although, I’m not sure how buying nodes differs, but I’m not those people).

I did not exaggerate or underexaggerate. I actually calculated it using the spidy’s buy-out price of the node, the value of a single snow truffle, and the rate of snow truffle generation. In fact, I now realize my calculation is off because I used the buyout values, which means that 15% of the money earned from selling the turffles evaporates

Home instance nodes

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I’m confused by the commas. Do you mean 1,289 days, approximately, to break even?

Home instance nodes

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

I’m confused by the commas. Do you mean 1,289 days, approximately, to break even?

Many countries use a comma for a decimal mark instead of a dot, so yes I’m guessing that is what they mean.

The Burninator

(edited by JustTrogdor.7892)

Home instance nodes

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Ahh, ok. Probably could have rounded to the day, rather than out to the gazillionth decimal, lol.

Thanks.

Home instance nodes

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I did not exaggerate or underexaggerate. I actually calculated it using the spidy’s buy-out price of the node, the value of a single snow truffle, and the rate of snow truffle generation. In fact, I now realize my calculation is off because I used the buyout values, which means that 15% of the money earned from selling the turffles evaporates

My apologies — I couldn’t see your comma among all those numbers. Given that we’re doing some educated guesses suing assuming long term market values, I didn’t expect an “estimate” that used so many non-significant figures.

Regardless, the point remains the same: it takes several years for the nodes to “pay for themselves” economically (unless one farms them with multiple accounts and don’t account for the time that takes). Home instance nodes are a convenience item, not a good investment for anyone who isn’t committed to years of daily gameplay.

Home instance nodes

Posted by: onevstheworld.2419

onevstheworld.2419

You CAN make it pay off sooner… if you invite other players into your home instance to harvest, your node will give more total mats. Unfortunately it only benefits you if these players then send you those mats back to you. Since only 4 other players can join you at any one time, it doesn’t strike me as particularly time efficient either.

Home instance nodes

Amaimon.7823

Ahh, ok. Probably could have rounded to the day, rather than out to the gazillionth decimal, lol.

Thanks.

yea, it’s more than a 1000 days. Here we use the . to seperate thousands and , to show the decimal
So it should read 1.000.000,0 for example for a perfect million

But I showed the gazillionth deciam to prove it was an actual calculation and not some top-of-the-head number

Home instance nodes

Amaimon.7823

My apologies — I couldn’t see your comma among all those numbers. Given that we’re doing some educated guesses suing assuming long term market values, I didn’t expect an “estimate” that used so many non-significant figures.

Regardless, the point remains the same: it takes several years for the nodes to “pay for themselves” economically (unless one farms them with multiple accounts and don’t account for the time that takes). Home instance nodes are a convenience item, not a good investment for anyone who isn’t committed to years of daily gameplay.

wait..you thought that WHOLE number, not counting the komma, was gonna be the full amount of days xD
Thanks for the laugh, I now actually picture someone waiting that long for it to pay off

Home instance nodes

Illconceived Was Na.9781

wait..you thought that WHOLE number, not counting the komma, was gonna be the full amount of days xD
Thanks for the laugh, I now actually picture someone waiting that long for it to pay off

Hence, my statement that you exaggerated just a tad.
I thought you were trying to communicate, in a fun & silly way, how non-economical it is to buy nodes as a revenue source.

Home instance nodes

Inculpatus cedo.9234

^That’s why I asked about the comma. Many in the west would probably think it was just an exaggeration, as I and Na did.

Glad it’s cleared up.