How Does WvW Work?

How Does WvW Work?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: alejhondo.9146

alejhondo.9146

Q:

So I’m fairly new to Gw2 and I tried WvW the other day but I couldn’t quite figure out what I was supposed to do. I’m not trying to say anything bad about the game, I love it! I was just wondering if someone could give me a step by step explanation of what to do right as you enter WvW for the first time.

How Does WvW Work?

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

A:

1) identify what color your server is for that week. you can either click ‘B’ (takes you to WvW screen) and see which background your server is, or you can go to your server’s borderlands and see what color the home area in the top middle is.
2a) follow any commander tag
2b) look on the map for places that are any color other than your server’s and go capture it. soloing is probably not a good idea for towers/keeps/castle (though that would be awesome), but is doable for resource camps and sentries. There are youtube videos of players capturing a tower alone… usually by being locked inside when it was captured, then just killing the lord after everyone leaves.

How Does WvW Work?

Posted by: Lindbur.2537

Lindbur.2537

A remnant of times past.
“Memories are nice, but that’s all they are.”

How Does WvW Work?

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Think of it as a continuous week of capture the flag but with siege weapons and unruly mobs between three worlds on four maps. Every X number of minutes points are rewarded based on who has what. More points you world has, more bonuses your world has, even in PvE.

You personally get WvW XP based on what you do and you get points that you can invest into WvW skills to make your character more awesome in WvW.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

How Does WvW Work?

Posted by: Contiguous.1345

Contiguous.1345

The short answer is ‘die’.

Long answer:-

Your best bet is to look at the map (press ‘M’ of course) and see if you can find a Commander (blue dorrito icon). If you see one, you need to join him.
That might be easier said than done. If you are in the starting area he may not come there but he is almost certain to pass by one of the other waypoints on the map. So select the nearest, travel there and wait. Read the map chat to entertain yourself while waiting.

Eventually, he will come close enough for you to see the crowd of people following him. Just join in and follow. You’ll probably die anyway – but you might get a kill or two yourself first.

If your server uses Teamspeak, it’s a good idea to join it so that you can listen to the commander and other experienced players discuss tactics and arrange plans. That helps a lot.

Don’t wander around on your own – you will certainly be killed over and over and probably get discouraged. There’s strength in numbers.

How Does WvW Work?

Posted by: Neko Dudley.2495

Neko Dudley.2495

First, go to a supply camp owned by your server and pick up supply. Then find a commander if there is one. It might be good to buy a few flame ram blueprints from the trading post in case your group needs one.

Get used to the idea of being stomped. It happens to the best from time to time.

Gate of Madness [MAL] EB
Yarr! I be keeping me pirate runes, Matey. Yarr! You’re welcome. Yarr!

How Does WvW Work?

Posted by: NornBearPig.9814

NornBearPig.9814

First make sure you are level 30 minimum (when you get your elite). Level 80 fully geared is preferable.

Next, press M. Locate the nearest commander icon (a blue icon on map). Navigate to that location, avoiding enemy confrontation until you reach them.

Introduce yourself, then follow the group and join them in battle wherever they go. Don’t forget to loot slain enemies.

(edited by NornBearPig.9814)

How Does WvW Work?

Posted by: Atlas.9704

Atlas.9704

Loot drops near you which saves on the corpse hunting.
Grab supplies from supply camps, help build sieges, repair walls and purchase upgrades to keeps and towers.

Then prepare to die and die a lot.
Also remember that your finances will take a sharp decline if you die a lot because you still pay for repairs. That part I wish was altered, but it is what it is.

Elona, Land of the Golden Sun….and undead…and poison. The travel brochure lied okay?!

How Does WvW Work?

Posted by: rhapsody.3615

rhapsody.3615

-Find a commander on the map and follow them
-If you see somebody drop blueprints, jump in and start building
-Join your server’s teamspeak channel to listen (a lot is said on TS that never makes it to the map chat)
-Have supply on you and only take from supply camps unless the commander says its ok to take from towers and keeps. The tower and keep supply is used for upgrades, and taking from it slows down the process.
-You can take supply camps and kill enemy dokyaks alone or in a small group if you don’t feel like joining a zerg
-Read up on wvw builds for your profession. Many players use power/toughness/vitality armors