How can I level up without farming exp?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Satans Chosen.1024

Satans Chosen.1024

Q:

I recently made a human thief but have run into leveling problems. I have completed the map of Queensdale and finished story quests past level 14. I have done DE as I ran into them, a total of 8-10 with all gold medals. Still I am only barely level 14. Without running around searching for more DE, farming mobs for exp, or resort to crafting, is it even possible to level to 16 so I can continue with my story quests? I suppose I can move to higher level maps, maybe 15-25, but will that just compound my problems leveling up at higher levels?

Posted by: GrimShade.8091

GrimShade.8091

A:

I had the same problem, I went to the asuran starting area and did a full sweep of it and was a good level after that. I don’t like that I needed to do that but it is was it is.

Options: PvP, WvW, Crafting, other starting area maps, repeat the map and grab more DE’s,

Posted by: AmicusCuriae.3249

AmicusCuriae.3249

I encountered the same problem as a human guardian, and then I realized I could go to other zones. To the west, I can’t remember the exact name, is a jungle area with level 15 through 25 content as well. You can also use asura gates to go to other races starting zones and do events and heart content there. Hope this is somewhat helpful.

Posted by: washednblood.1862

washednblood.1862

I found during the beta weekends that I had to farm a good portion, however, now that the game is live I haven’t had to farm at all. Here are my suggestions:
1) Do your personal story on the level that it indicates
2) 100% the starter zone for your race
3) Complete every event that you see. Hearts will always be there so do the events when you see them.
4) Craft, there is a significant amount of XP to be earned in crafting

Doing that resulted in me being either ahead of the curve, or right where I should have been.

Posted by: Raf.1078

Raf.1078

Go somewhere a few levels higher than you are. With a Thief, you’ll need to be more careful than with other classes though. Use you ranged as much as possible and use your melee for finishing. Join in with large groups for DE’s using those tactics.

Of course, as Washed said above…there is crafting and harvesting also. Both will give xp.

Raf

PF/ GOAT on Tarnished Coast (Semi-Retired)
Raf Longshanks-80 Norn Guardian / 9 more alts of various lvls / Charter Member Altaholics Anon

Posted by: darcdante.2753

darcdante.2753

Like they said: find the gate to Lion’s Arch in your capital. From there, you can hop anywhere else, and just go to another starting zone.

After that hump, I haven’t had any problems with level, but I’ve also been clearing lower level areas just because I was there and it’s fun to clear maps.

Posted by: Grizzly.9713

Grizzly.9713

I’m a total noob that just figured out last night that mining copper ore gives in general more xp than killing a mob sometimes.

Will be doing more of this.

Posted by: Vexus.5423

Vexus.5423

The Story Mode quests do go above your level rather quickly. This is because they expect you to explore different zones and try new things. Otherwise, you’d be doing the Story Mode quests full time and miss out on everything else.

To simplify it a little, it seems you need ~20 events, gold completion, to level up if you’re the same level as the event. So if I’m level 15, and the event is level 15, I’d need 20 events to level up – excluding all kill experience and everything else. But you get experience from gathering, doing the daily, and so many other things, it’s a good idea to just do it all. And sometimes you do need to event hop, but I find that as you get higher in level, it’s much less about that, and more about just doing what you want to do.

Short version: Try not to focus on the story mode so much.

Posted by: darcdante.2753

darcdante.2753

Yeah, you can actually farm all three types of mats. It took me a few levels to realize that. So buy a pickaxe, a sickle, and an axe and just farm mats as you quest. It’s easy, and provides mats, money, and xp.

Posted by: draeath.8536

draeath.8536

If you can’t find Lion’s Arch for some reason, queue up for WvWvW. When you get there, you’ll see a Gate that can take you back to Lion’s Arch.

Go to the south docks area of Lion’s Aarch and you should see a bunch of gates going to each race’s capital. Starting area is usually just outside.

Posted by: littleevil.9560

littleevil.9560

leveling in guild wars is different than in wow clones
some might like it more others less
but like some ppl said – gathering is a huge part of gained exp – so always carry gathering tools that can get u the crafting materials(also use the "deposit crafting materials option that u can get from the cogwheel in your inventory window in upper right corner)
crafting itself gives u experience (u can usually get couple levels form it , best if u combine it with the bonus critical chance boost) so its great to do some crafting if u feel like your level lower than the areas open to you
also exploration points give u exp , as well as getting waypoints , there is quite a bit of waypoints in the cities so make sure u tag them all