How can i get less lag?

How can i get less lag?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: davisjack.5283

davisjack.5283

So I’m running guild wars 2 on a AMD graphics card. I believe it is a 6850 or 6870 one or the other if I’m not mistaken. Currently i have the settings to where they look nice and its runs at about 25-31fps it varies. I heard you can set your clocks on your graphics card so that the frames will be increased but i have no idea how to do that.

Any help?

How can i get less lag?

Posted by: Lord Erik.6903

Lord Erik.6903

Under the graphics option there is a check box at the very bottom called “Vertical Sync” that’s probably what your looking for. Then you just increase your computer screens refresh rate. This won’t work very well if you don’t have decent hardware on your computer. I run GW2 on a laptop so it’s not a very good option for me.

How can i get less lag?

Posted by: locoman.1974

locoman.1974

What you want is called overclocking, you can probably find some guides about it on google (just type overclocking and your graphic card model). Sometimes it can be as easy as to change a setting on the drivers or on a software you can download.

That said, be sure to read thoroughly into it. Overclocking is usually safe enough, but will void the guarantee of your card, and WILL make it go hotter (how hotter, depends on the card and how much you overclock it), so be sure it has enough ventilation and cooling or it might damage it.

It’s a pile of Elonian protection magic, mixed with a little monk training,
wrapped up in some crazy ritualist hoo-ha from Cantha.
A real grab bag of ‘you can’t hurt me. They’re called Guardians.

How can i get less lag?

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

I have a 5770 and use the autodetected settings with a few adjustments. FPS is usually around 60. One thing I’ve noticed is that if I have a flash video opened in my browser the FPS will drop by 10 until I close the tab.

You could also play around with the settings in the game. Some settings result in biggers FPS hits than others.

Overclocking is fairly easy to do from the catalyst control center under Graphics OverDrive. Testing in small increments would probably be a good idea.

How can i get less lag?

davisjack.5283

@khisanth when i use auto detect im at 24fps…. did you do any overclocking on your graphics card?

How can i get less lag?

Khisanth.2948

@khisanth when i use auto detect im at 24fps…. did you do any overclocking on your graphics card?

The setting is enabled but the values are all default.
Attached my settings and values for the card in case you want to compare some numbers.

If you are using a higher resolution it could make a big difference since the GPU will have to deal with more data per frame. There are also specific locations which may cause problems. For example if I jump into the water in Southsun Cove with Shaders set to Medium it will drop the FPS to 30something but underwater in other places doesn’t have that problem.

Attachments:

How can i get less lag?

davisjack.5283

@khisanth is 5570 better than a 6570 wouldnt seem like it should be.

How can i get less lag?

davisjack.5283

@khisanth when i use you same settings I’m at about 18fps

How can i get less lag?

davisjack.5283

@khisanth my bad didnt see the second pic you sent me…. should i be able to run the exact AMD settings you have since i have a higher graphics cards?

How can i get less lag?

Khisanth.2948

@khisanth is 5570 better than a 6570 wouldnt seem like it should be.

The 6570 should be better than a 5570 but a 5770 vs a 6570 would be less clear. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radeon#Current might help.

I also remember a problem I had with my card where its bios was reporting that it only has 750 stream processors when it should have 800. I had to apply a firmware update for it.

The values in my second screenshot are based on the hardware so they aren’t changeable except for the GPU clock and Memory clock. A 6850 or 6870 should be equal or better anyway. If not definitely go check the card manufacturer’s website to see if there is some sort of update you need to apply.

How can i get less lag?

davisjack.5283

i messaged you on guildwars but yeah im guessing you card is better….. i can only put my gpu clock to 675 and my high performance clock to 1000 i did put the HPC to 1000 and my computer kept crashing.

How can i get less lag?

Posted by: bri.2359

bri.2359

@OP

Trying to overclock a graphics card is tricky even for experienced computer users, not something you just jump into without knowing what you are doing. Furthermore, overclocking usually begins at the CPU / RAM, then moves to the GPU. This involves numerous setting adjustments in BIOS.

Lag can come from many sources, including some beyond your control such as your internet service provider.

First step is to optimise your computer, run a disk defrag, clean up the registery, close/stop unnecessary OS background services. Make sure you are running the latest drivers for both video and sound. Audio is the cause of many PC problems, so make sure you have the latest audio drivers.

Once you have done this, run a benchmark test utility. This will tell you how well your computer runs under various stress tests, and you can compare the results with similar hardware configuration to see if your computer is functioning as it should.

You can also run internet speed tests to determine if your ISP is delivering and performing at what it should be.

If the benchmark tests says you are ok, then check your in-game FPS based on your preferred options in both your video card utility settings and in-game graphic settings. Anything less than 30 fps under average playing condition is not good because under higher demand the FPS will drop much further.

If you are not maintaining over 30 FPS under average playing conditions, then you need to scale back the graphics settings or buy a better graphics card. Trying to overclock a mid-range card for an extra 5-10 FPS is simply not worth it because it will run much hotter and/or crash your computer, as you have discovered.

Lvl 80’s: Ranger; Guardian; Mesmer; Necromancer; Thief
Gandara Megaserver

(edited by bri.2359)