How do I get better gear?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Dazed.5328

Dazed.5328

My armor and weapon is too low for my level and I’ve been doing champion chain events at Queen’s Forest, but all it drops for me is weapons that are below my level.

I am currently level 17.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

2 main methods
1. Buy from the trading post
2. Go to a higher level area, which would be Kessex hills for you unless you go through Lion’s Arch. There you will be able to do hearts at your level and buy gear with karma from them.

Drops should be at your level or below no matter where you play. Normally, you don’t need to buy new gear unless your old gear is 10 levels or more lower than you. While you are leveling, gear really isn’t all that critical.

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

Don’t forget crafting. It will give you some experience too.

Anyhow, as said above, don’t sweat over the gear you have. It will be “good enough” to level your character anyway.

If you are level 17 you should proceed onward from Queensdale anyway.

One – Piken Square

Posted by: Neek.9531

Neek.9531

If I were you I would hope in WvW and run in zergs while in teamspeak. You won’t level as quickly but you’ll get agreat head start on badges of armor and gold which you can then ,once level 80, buy a full set of exotics and simply role that. Armor doesn’t look to nice but you get your stats and then transmute the looks you want.

[DI] Main Elementalist: Zepdo, Alts: Warrior, Mesmer,Thief.

Posted by: maleko.5206

maleko.5206

Crafting is a very good source of gear, unlike other MMO’s you can actually get gear to your level fairly easily while levelling with minimum outlay in gold. Other than that run content (i.e. hearts and group events) at your current level or one level above it if you’re comfortable with that and always explore the karma vendor as they will have some nice gear to top you off with. Other than that it is possible to buy off the trading post but could be pricey. Also keep doing your story quest line as this can give some decent rewards and aim for 100% in each zone you go to to get those rewards as well (and cross your fingers you are lucky)

But if i’m honest, you shouldn’t need to worry about the gear as you level as it will improve enough from drops, quest rewards and such to allow you to continue levelling. You shouldn’t need top shelf gear until later levels to manage the levelling content, it’s fairly easy to go through.

Posted by: NornBearPig.9814

NornBearPig.9814

A combination of karma vendors, crafting, and trading post. I wouldn’t buy gear straight from gold weapon/armor smiths unless you are really pressed for time as they aren’t a good value for the gold you spend.

Every time you complete a heart or come across a karma vendor, check to see what equipment he has. You won’t get everything you need from karma vendors, but it’s a cheap way to save gold when there is something available you could use. Later in the game you will be able to farm tons of karma so don’t worry about saving it up early on.

Crafting depends on the crafting profession you choose, and how much you enjoy crafting. The nice thing about crafting is that you level up while doing it, so it’s not time wasted sitting in a crafting hall. However, if you hate crafting then just don’t do it.

The trading post will get you most everything you need, but the price may not always be low. It is the most convenient of the 3 (besides weapon/armor smiths) but I would prioritize 1: karma vendors, 2: crafting (if you don’t hate it), and what you can’t or decide not to get from those you can complete your gear with 3: items bought off the trading post.

(edited by NornBearPig.9814)

Posted by: Sagramor.7395

Sagramor.7395

Try hearts and events in an area that’s your level. You could also buy from Karma merchants or craft. Alternatively you could just buy a whole new set of blue/green from the TP every 5-10 levels if you have the cash.